Tarot sized 2.75 x 4.75 cards now at TGC!

Mabuse

"Tarot Cards and Tuck Boxes

We are very pleased to announce the immediate availability of tarot sized cards and the tuck boxes to go with them.

The finished size of the tarot cards is 2.75 inches by 4.75 inches. This is the traditional size of tarot decks. The cards come 10 to a sheet, and one sheet costs $1.89."

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/

This is good news. Now if they'd only do something about the shipping costs.

starlightexp

It's good if you just want to run a deck for friends but the cost PER deck and box and meaning sheet is basically $20.. that's cost. So it really says nothing about the time and money one put into the deck before getting it printed. For a lot of people that do hand made art the costs of papers, paints, canvas , inks, brushes and the lot can run into make hundreds of dollars even before the deck is done. While this is a great 'get my deck out there' kind of thing no one is going to be able to make any sort of money back on a deck unless they are going to charge upwards of $30+ the shipping charges. Game Crafters takes 30% of the profit on top of the printing costs. That means that if you get a whopping $7 a deck. While going with a card printer may be more costs up front one can get the costs of a deck down to well over half that and be able to offer a much better product at a much lower cost to the public.

Don't get me wrong I think it is a LONG time coming in the world of print on demand and I imagine that it will be a very popular choice to use from people making their own deck for personal use and to give friends. I'm REAL glad they are doing what several other print on demand places have been doing for a while now. TGC is really the most public face of this industry.

Saffi

I ordered my deck of cards from TGC a month ago, when they still had cheaper postage options - I looked again and the only option for UK postage is $40. Like you said, it's great that they're doing tarot-sized cards, but the insane postage combined with the fact that 78 cards would cost over $15 (and that's not even including their profit!)... means I probably won't be using it myself.

Still hoping for an online print-on-demand service in Europe :p.

HudsonGray

I don't understand WHAT is holding them up on using the correct size boxes for packaging.

It's super easy to get boxes wholesale in bulk from Uline and Browncor, heck you don't even have to pay shipping - the shipping from both places is FREE. It brings boxes down to pennies per box.

tarotmama

Geez the printing prices are CRAZY :(

My ex-husband made a robot card game for my son for Yule and had it printed and packaged through TGC. He did a tuckbox for the cards though and it's just ...ok. But nothing I would spend $3 on. You can get super nice bags for that price. My 4 yr old was impressed though.

Debra

I don't understand WHAT is holding them up on using the correct size boxes for packaging.

They're a small business. Their products are highly individualized and include a large variety of possible component parts. I suspect they don't have a mechanism to easily distinguish which products should be sent in the big gamer boxes and which should go in smaller mailing boxes. So this is one more thing they might get wrong, and perhaps at this point not their top priority.

tarotlyn

:):heart: Mabuse, here is TGC's page that explains exactly what size of photo (in pixels) that
you must have in order to use their new template for 'regular' standard sized tarot cards here:

https://community.thegamecrafter.com/publish/templates/cards/tarot-cards

BTW, an AT member that just received their deck (my bears tarot deck) from TGC told me today
that they were pleased with TGC's "high production value" and also said that TGC does
"a very nice job."

I would say a person could at least try them and see if they like them. The worst that can
happen at TGC is that you have to buy one deck yourself at cost (which is your first sale)
then you can publish it to the public if you want to. Or you don't have to publish it to the public.
You can keep your page and set it at a 'cost price' for yourself and your friends to order from and TGC will still ship it for you.

You are only buying one deck (to get it and see it), and if you don't like it, you are not out $1,000's,
but only just a little over $10 plus your shipping. In the USA their shipping is not so bad and
it is by priority so you get it really quickly. Shipping outside the USA is still a little pricey,
even though I think they have just lowered it a little more.

Anyway, there is nothing better than finding out for yourself if you like TGC's quality and service.
...and I think you will be amazed at their quality and workmanship.

Print-on-demand is an exciting service for those that don't have a lot of capitol to put up front.

:heart: HUGS
tarotlyn

starlightexp

You are only buying one deck (to get it and see it), and if you don't like it, you are not out $1,000's,
but only just a little over $10 plus your shipping. In the USA their shipping is not so bad and
it is by priority so you get it really quickly. Shipping outside the USA is still a little pricey,
even though I think they have just lowered it a little more.

A

The tarot size deck is 1.89 for a 10 card sheet + 2.79 for the box and .44 for a sheet of documents to fill the rest of the 90 card box.

1.89x8= 14.23 for the deck
2.79 for for the box
.44 a sheet for the booklet
----------------------------------
=17.46 + shipping for a deck
(in the US 5.66)
=23.12 shipped in the states.

Like I said before it's a nice option if you just want to get your deck out to friends but as an option to print you deck for wide sale it is a VERY expensive per item cost.

I have some proofs from a print on depend company that offers over twice the graphics resolution of TGC, no minimum order and offers a sliding price scale on bulk orders. I REALLY hope they turn out to be good. From what I understand they will even make up a custom size template to what ever size card you need for no extra cost. The proofs shipped yesterday so I'll have them on monday and I can post them up side by side with proofs I got from TGC and others as a bit of a reference to people.

I know that TGC is kind of a do it all place. All I have to do is upload my deck and boom it's up for sale and I don't have to do any work. With just a little work you can get your deck out, pretty hassle free. Setting up a shop on Ebay or Esty can give the project an even greater audience because of the traffic these sites have. Maybe I'm different in the fact that I want to be the one mailing out the deck. This was my creation and I would like to see it safely off to it's new home. I'm a quality freak I admit it. (Whew.. felt good to admit that)

gregory

I ordered my deck of cards from TGC a month ago, when they still had cheaper postage options - I looked again and the only option for UK postage is $40. Like you said, it's great that they're doing tarot-sized cards, but the insane postage combined with the fact that 78 cards would cost over $15 (and that's not even including their profit!)... means I probably won't be using it myself.

Still hoping for an online print-on-demand service in Europe :p.
Actually - I did just order a deck from them for delivery to the UK, and as long as it doesn't HAVE to have the big box (sadly Iowan's, for instance, has to, as it has a game sheet that won't fold down ! I think this was a HUGE mistake, myself) the other DAY it had a $14.93 USPS first class to the UK option. It doesn't even for that deck now - which is odd.... I'd email before ordering...

The $3 insurance annoys me more.

souljourney

Great POD place... Starlightexp??

I have some proofs from a print on depend company that offers over twice the graphics resolution of TGC, no minimum order and offers a sliding price scale on bulk orders. I REALLY hope they turn out to be good. From what I understand they will even make up a custom size template to what ever size card you need for no extra cost. The proofs shipped yesterday so I'll have them on monday and I can post them up side by side with proofs I got from TGC and others as a bit of a reference to people.

I know that TGC is kind of a do it all place. All I have to do is upload my deck and boom it's up for sale and I don't have to do any work. With just a little work you can get your deck out, pretty hassle free. Setting up a shop on Ebay or Esty can give the project an even greater audience because of the traffic these sites have. Maybe I'm different in the fact that I want to be the one mailing out the deck. This was my creation and I would like to see it safely off to it's new home. I'm a quality freak I admit it. (Whew.. felt good to admit that)

So what is this POD printer? I'm looking for options..