Help wanted!

Ross G Caldwell

Hi Cheva,

Hi out there,i am a guy who have an old Petit Lenormand card deck in my possesion.

But in this field or sience i have no skills,so i vounder if somebody could try to help me

to determend age, country, manufacturer,type of deck mm mm if it´s possible.

My own guess is the age is around1840-1870 and country France or Germany?

Have lot of pictures,but don´t know how to post them in this forum.

Whit regards from Håkan Sweden.

My E-mail is cheva69@msn.com

I'm no expert in these kinds of cards, so I can only offer some suggestions.

According to A Wicked Pack of Cards (R. Decker, T. Depaulis and M. Dummett, 1996), p. 141, -

"More recent packs appeared in about 1850 under the name of 'Petit Lenormand'. Their composition of 36 cards points to Germanic countries rather than to France, where such a composition was unusual since the XVII century; their quite simple iconography has actually nothing to do with either the 'Grand jeu de Mlle Lenormand' or Marie-Anne Le Normand's own card-reading methods. The miniature cards which sometimes replace the French captions in the upper central part show typical German French-suited patterns. Each card bears one symbol: a ring, a ship, a heart, etc. German, Austrian and even Belgian and Swiss cardmakers have made and still make these 'Petit Lenormands'. Amazingly this type of cards has never been produced in France."

So you can rule out France as the place of origin.

For the date, if there are absolutely no clues in any writing on the cards, then the paper and cut might give an indication. You'd need an expert opinion. If you write me privately here, I'll give you my email address and you can send me pictures, which I can pass on to some experts I know.

Good luck!

Alta

Hi cheva,

To post photos, upload your photos to a free photo sharing site and then post the link to the pictures.

Alta

cheva

!Old Lenormand deck,how old?

Hi there,i am a guy from Sweden who is seeking someone who is enable to help me.

I have an old Petit Lenormand deck in my possesion. I seek somebody who can help me to determend the kind of deck,if it have a name,the age,country,manufacturer mm mm.

Me my self have no kind of experience in this field so i should be more then happy if you could help me to start my journy in the quest, for so many answer as possible.

I have pictures of the card deck,but don´t know where or how i should do to showing them in this forum.

Hope someone could help me.Have some pictures of the deck on facebook,see link below.

Whit regards from Håkan sweden.

https://www.facebook.com/hakan.henriksson.773

Teheuti

The pictures can't be seen without friending you. It would help if you provided a link here to the pictures.

cheva

Thanks for helping me

The pictures can't be seen without friending you. It would help if you provided a link here to the pictures.
Yes,but i don´t know where to post the pictures,besides facebook for the moment. Mybee you can give a tip on a god side to load up some pic.

Teheuti

Thirty-six card Petit Lenormand decks were first produced in 1846 in Germany (soon after Mlle. Lenormand died), based on the much earlier Spiel der Hoffnung game from Nuremberg (c. 1799), and before that, Coffee-cards from Vienna. A great variety of these decks were published in the 19th century - most published in Germany and in Belgium. They range from high-quality chromolithography (for example the Dondorf decks) to roughly printed decks on cheap card stock. Some of the publishers include: Dondorf, Stralsunder, Streerath, Industrie Comptoir, Wüst, Brespols, Daveluy (the last 2 are Belgian) plus lesser known publishers of inexpensive copies.

You might be able to identify your deck through this website:
http://www.lenormand-museum.com/lenormand-cards.php

Some of the decks are beautifully showcased here (see links at the bottom of the page):
http://www.wopc.co.uk/tarot/divination.html

Teheuti

I haven't seen your exact deck before but there are similar ones shown at this website:
http://www.lenormand-museum.com/lenormand-cards.php

Search on Antique Lenormands in the first search category and look at the first two decks. I suggest comparing House, Clover, Ship and Rider.

Mary

Ross G Caldwell

It looks like one of the experts I had in mind showed up :)

Thanks Mary!

Le Fanu

Does it have weird, mythological scenes and constellations or does it have images such as ship, dog, house etc.

If it's the former, I bet it's the Grimaud astro-mythological one. If it's the latter, it's more interesting... :)