gypsy spread layout

misifu

My mother taught me a 40-card spread which I use to give general readings. Is there anyone out there who is familiar with this spread, and if so, would you care to share info? By the way, it consists of 4 rows of 10 cards each, you can read horizontally, vertically, diagonally, and cards surrounding the significator card. I have not seen this spread in any book, as I was taught this spread. Thanx and Blessed Be.

Rhiannon

Wow! 40 cards, really? Doesn't that take an awfully long time to read? (Sorry, me and my instant gratification again) Does it seem to be more accurate or give more insight than a Celtic Cross spread? Sounds very interesting.

Rhiannon :)

.dc

sheez...sounds familiar. care to share the whole positioning layout *smirk*

ya think 40 cards are bad, my college beau had a spreads book that had some crowley spread that consumed the ENTIRE 72 card deck. they said that it was something to do only like once in your life and was laid out in two upside down u's.

we attempted to do it over one weekend in my studio apartment with the haindl deck and well, needless to say... we never got to the actual read. we didn't even get to laying the second u down. and we were at laying the cards out for hours.

i can only imagine trying to interpret that bad boy... hehe... and now that i have a house and a spare room, the thought of finding that spread and actually doing it does seem to peak my curiousity.

blessed be,
.dc

misifu

Rhiannon (07 Aug, 2001 11:52):
Wow! 40 cards, really? Doesn't that take an awfully long time to read? (Sorry, me and my instant gratification again) Does it seem to be more accurate or give more insight than a Celtic Cross spread? Sounds very interesting.

Rhiannon :)
The answer to your question, yes, it can take a lot of time to read, especially if the querent keeps asking question after question, i.e., wanting more detail. Is it more accurate than the Celtic Cross, no, I think all spreads are accurate, is it more detailed?, perhaps, as you have so many cards to use as reference.

misifu

.dc (08 Aug, 2001 00:46):
sheez...sounds familiar. care to share the whole positioning layout *smirk*

ya think 40 cards are bad, my college beau had a spreads book that had some crowley spread that consumed the ENTIRE 72 card deck. they said that it was something to do only like once in your life and was laid out in two upside down u's.

we attempted to do it over one weekend in my studio apartment with the haindl deck and well, needless to say... we never got to the actual read. we didn't even get to laying the second u down. and we were at laying the cards out for hours.

i can only imagine trying to interpret that bad boy... hehe... and now that i have a house and a spare room, the thought of finding that spread and actually doing it does seem to peak my curiousity.

blessed be,
.dc
hi, yes, it can be a bit time consuming, but very interesting as it brings up things you may never have known about as opposed to just asking one question. I use this spread anytime a querent does not want to know anything in particular, just a "general" reading about what's going on. Yes, it can be quite complex, and I do not recommend this spread to beginners, as there is a ton of information to read. Again, this is something that was passed down in tradition, I have not seen this spread in any book. Blessed Be- Misifu

JC

Hi. I don't remember a 4x10 spread, but I do remember a seven column spread that used 35 cards. I was focusing on the Celtic cross at the time, so I did not pay much attention. I vaguely remember the columns as such:

1st - karmic past

2nd - distant past

3rd - near past

4th - present

5th - near future

6th - distant future

7th - karmic future

The rows represented aspects of the person's question, like why they were asking, oppositin to their goal, the emotional evironment everything would play out in, etc.

These are probably etremely off, but was your mother's spread anything like that?

misifu

Hi d.c.
In a way, yes, the rows can indicate a time frame, for instance, the top row can be used to check out a past issue and/or influence, the 2nd row can indicate past to present, and the 3rd row present to future, and 4th, well, future. Also, depending if your significator card comes out, you can use the cards left of the significator card as a past issue, cards above and below the significator, present, and right, future. Also, I check to see court cards ( which I use as significator cards ), and check to see how close or how far apart they are. Also, for example, you had the Queen and King of Cups next to each other, are they facing each other, or are their backs to one another? Are there a lot of court cards together? If so, can represent a gathering, co-workers, etc. Again, the cards around them can give you a clue. There is so much more to say, but I would take up way too much room! Love, Misifu.

misifu

Sorry jc, I referred to you as dc. Love, Misifu.

JC

Don't worry about it. I've had bigger mix-ups.