Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I find the topic too complicated or confusing

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • The topic doesn't interest me enough to join in

Votes: 23 16.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Barleywine

Recently I've noticed a couple of trends that may or may not be related, so I decided to start a poll to see what I might learn.

First, we have an increasing number of new members, both to the forum and to tarot in general, and second, I've been getting fewer and fewer comments on my posts (oh dear, it couldn't be my politics or my occult leanings, could it? })). In trying to put two-and-two (well, actually five or six) together, I decided to ask what discourages people from contributing to threads. I can think of a few reasons:

I don't feel that I have anything to add.

I don't think I will learn anything from participating. (This isn't intended to be a "trick" question.)

I'm new and/or shy about sticking my neck out.

I'm not a subscriber and don't have access to some of the content.

I find the topic too complicated or confusing.

The topic doesn't interest me enough to participate.

I didn't turn multi-choice on, so pick the one that happens most frequently.

Grizabella

Well, one reason might be that you're an advanced user of the cards and you cover the topic quite thoroughly so there's not much to add or newer people might feel they can't really compete with that. That's not a bad thing, though. We're all learning from each other and all our input, whether we're total beginners or quite advanced, we all have things of value to say. I learn from total beginners as well as more advanced members. Your posts are very good so don't censor yourself. :) I find all your posts to be really interesting (even though I don't always grasp everything you say because I don't do Thoth) and I'd sorely miss your input if you were to squelch yourself. :)

For myself, I didn't see the exact reason I don't always post to threads on your poll. Sometimes I don't have anything to add so I'll choose that choice, but other times my mind is occupied with other things and sometimes I just don't get that much of a "spark" on whatever topic it is.

gregory

I agree with Griz. I am not a new member, and I am something of a motormouth - but I almost never feel I can add anything when I see your posts. I read them, learn from them, and that's it.

And to be honest, I doubt if you'd notice people not responding to other people's posts ;)

Barleywine

Thanks for the encouragement, but I was trying to ask the question in a general way, not just about my own posts.

Flames

I'm shy about sticking my neck out. The fear is that my post will be completely ignored or that it might give rise to some kind of argument or disagreement. I really need to get over it, though. :) But, since you asked, there you go.

Emlou

I rarely post however actively read the forum. I'm rather new to tarot and find I have little to add to threads. I think for me it's because I don't feel 'qualified' to comment! Not in bad way I don't think I have anything of value to add! There are regular posters I find provide great responses which give me food for thought. And of course I get a bit star struck when artists of my favourite decks post!!! I must admit I get all nerdy fan girl and know I'd make myself look a bit of a crazy woman if I did bring myself to post!!

EmpressArwen

I mostly feel I don't have anything to add. I do comment sometimes but my thoughts/beliefs don't really align with the majority on "some" topics, I've discovered it is best just to keep my opinion to myself as to not ruin my own experience here.

Other times, I feel the people who have replied have answered the question so well that there is nothing more to add...and other times, I just don't know enough about the topic to comment.

It has seemed a little quieter around here lately...not sure if I'm just on when others are working (or whatever).

Annabelle

Sometimes I just don't have much to add; other times, I just don't have much time, period -- i.e. I've got a meeting to run to but I'm checking Aeclectic to pass time for a few minutes, and there's no time for me to delve deeply into any thread.

AnemoneRosie

I rarely find myself responded to, and it's not much of a dialogue if I post and am fairly consistently am met with silence... I didn't see that as one of the questions, so I didn't respond to the poll. It also depends on my mood - sometimes I don't feel all that talkative.

And for you in particular, Barleywine, I don't tend to respond because despite the fact that I agree with you entirely on how Tarot is a dialogue, and is necessarily reliant upon the energy of the querent, I find my reading style and methods so consistently trashed that I don't bother saying anything anymore. I know that you're going to keep not trying it, and continuing to make judgements about it while not trying it (not even through one of our lovely exchange threads here at AT), that I can't be bothered to respond.

I wonder if some of the more silent folks experience similar. The fact is that people are being introduced to Tarot via digital means, and if they find that those means are entirely discounted, then perhaps they feel silenced or shut down before they've even had the chance to speak.

gregory

Thanks for the encouragement, but I was trying to ask the question in a general way, not just about my own posts.
I know - what I meant was that we all of us probably only notice a lack of response when it is our own posts that sit there uncommented upon. I too meant it generally !