Perpetual bad news

Tea&Temperance

Echoing the wonderful advice you've already received - I try to keep in mind that (especially when reading for myself) it is I that is the final determiner of the final meaning of the cards. The cards are instruments and we are the players. I too have a pessimistic streak and try to get myself in the right mindset before I read - I make reading an exercise in combating negative self talk and a chance to exercise good thinking habits (meaning more objectively and not subjectively ie projecting onto the cards). Not to say that everything is rosy but trying to see the opportunities or alternative meanings as well. Who you have learned from (and in turn their frame of mind when reading) definitely plays a part as well.
As for predictive vs reality, I tend to view the messages of the cards as things to keep in mind (maybe I need to change course, reframe how I think of a situation, a confirmation of what I already know or maybe its a pat on the back). Not so much a definite answer of what will happen but what is possible depending on what I do.
Whether its my advice or messages from tarot, its up to you how you want to act on it!
Hope I was helpful.

obeygravity

I often times find reading for oneself, especially if it's on a sensitive topic, can be incredibly difficult. It's very easy to draw cards that in and of themselves are objective symbols and take a message from it that's either hyper idealized or a reflection of our worst anxieties. If I find myself in a time period where the readings I give myself are exceedingly negative, it usually means I should just take some time to put the cards down and sort throw whatever negative energies I personally have in me that's creating this repetitive cycle of negativity.

I personally wouldn't say that this is a matter of thinking positively, so much as making a genuine attempt to think, to some degree, more objectively.

Personally, I rarely read with reversals but I have, on occasion, still pulled out reversed cards in a reading. I never see reversed cards as outright negative cards. In fact they tend to just signify some form of blockage. It usually means you need to take time to understand what's necessary to help turn that card up right. It may also just be saying that time isn't right for the outcome you're looking for. But if you are finding yourself in a situation where these negative readings are also perpetually coming to fruition, then maybe this is saying that you need a change of pace? Are you doing what you want to do in life? Are you living where you want to live? The cards are nothing but tools that can be used to get greater insight to a situation but they can't, and shouldn't, be used as a cheat code to get everything you want. Doing that basically removes free will and if you're going to live your life by the cards then maybe it's time to ask what's being avoided.

I agree with the suggestion of spending more time around the forum. The reading exchange is a great way to get insight on situations from people who have no investment in whatever you're going through and is also a really cool way to learn how other people read that maybe you could integrate into your own methods.

euripides

I would stop reading reversals. I don't. The cards were originally designed to cover a balanced spectrum, and to my mind, reversals tend to unbalance this. They are almost always negative.

I think you can deliberately shift how you read and the messages you are open to. You're saying to the cards and the universe and yourself 'ok fine enough with the negative nelly. Tell me what I need to do to make things better'. Think about this when you frame your questions, too!

I have a friend who doesn't read when her husband is away, because she doesn't want to hear of anything befalling him. she's had times when she'd had a negative spread, and actually pulled cards differently and said to them 'no, THIS is how it's going to be!'

Alta

I resonate with the other replies but wanted to add to these two.
Were the readings accurate?
That is an important question I believe. Have you been going through a particularly difficult time? Maybe the cards reflect your reality right now. ??

However I can understand your wishing to see ways to act to get clear and some hopeful outcomes. During particularly difficult periods in my life, I wound up either with Doreen Virtue's fluffy decks or the I Ching because some days I found the Tarot's strictures too much to bear.
I would stop reading reversals. I don't.
I also stopped reading with reversals. While Mary Greer's book, "Tarot Reversals" helped me a lot in reading for others, when reading for myself I leave all of the cards upright. I used to get a shiver when I saw a reversed card, an immediate reaction and I could work through it during the reading, but after a while I decided I didn't need that in my self readings.

Ace

Are you trying to predict what WILL happen?

Reading UP the Askaskic record will result in negative results because you aren't there yet to turn it positive. So, try asking, what can I do to make it better/easier for you? Instead of trying to predict the future. The result will be happier, I think.

barb

Ron521

One thing to bear in mind : any Tarot reading does not indicate what WILL happen, only what CAN happen if one continues on their current path. If you are getting negative readings, some adjustments in your life may be in order.

Barleywine

I simply stopped reading for myself, but not for the reason you're suggesting, simply because my life is settled (has been for a long time) and I don't feel compelled to read for myself much anymore. I still do it when testing new spreads I've created, and for periodic follow-up on broader readings like the Wheel of the Year and its quarterly and monthly installments, but seldom for a particular "hot button" issue.

Tanga

Dear Maru,

I have, in fact, and unfortunately I have either been unable to understand the response, or I picked cards that were plain wrong, or else I get answers along the lines of "It's your fault because you have a bad attitude". If you will forgive the disclosure, my own experience and not simply a case of bad nerves tells me that I have reason to think the way that I do, and while I acknowledge the power of positive thinking, I have never thought that blaming someone for being unhappy was fair.

Thank you.

"It's your fault because you have a bad attitude" - IMO that is your interpretation of what the card is saying - so actually - you are saying that to yourself.
Could - your reading be coloured by you expecting things to just be bad - because they have already been so for so long?

Why not - as has been suggested - just dump using reversals?
Works fine without them.

Dear Tanga,

...I, personally, would rather know in advance that I am going to lose my house so that I can pile on the insurance before it happens, and I chose my teacher accordingly.

You are a predictive reader.
Here, I will re-interate other comments that say "Tarot will predict what CAN, but not what WILL". And this is the same answer as "descriptive possibility rather than predictive reality".

And yes, there has been a great deal of lurching for me, so unfortunately I come by my pessimism honestly. I do have an oracle deck which is distinctly more light-hearted than my tarot instruction and I admit I have grown rather fond of using that one, even though it isn't nearly as specific.

Thank you for your advice.

I'm so sorry to hear that you are being overwhelmed by bad times. :(

Aesoteric

One thing to bear in mind : any Tarot reading does not indicate what WILL happen, only what CAN happen if one continues on their current path. If you are getting negative readings, some adjustments in your life may be in order.

Dear Ron,

Unfortunately when I take the question to the next step ("how do I avoid ____" or "how do I fix______") I usually get a negative outcome as well.