• Select a random card for the center and place it fifth

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Select a card of the correct topic and find it in the stack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something I haven't listed

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Shade

One point of clarification, this is just me asking how YOU personally lay out teh square of nine.

I like using the square of nine but I waver sometimes as to how to choose the central card. In the past I've selected a card to address a certain topic and placed that in the center, dealt the center card first, and dealt the center card fifth. I was just wondering how others approached this.

Select a central card of the correct topic (i.e. Fish for a question about money)
Select a random card for the center and place it first (and then the 9 cards around it)
Select a random card for the center and place it fifth (the central card is the card taht naturally came fifth when laying out the cards
Select a card of the correct topic, shuffle and find it in the spread laying out the cards before and after it in the spread as well
Other: Something I've not listed here.

Barleywine

I wasn't quite sure how to vote, since I don't "select" the center card, I just let it fall out of the draw; I deal from top left to bottom right in three rows with no special consideration as to what lands in the middle. So I voted for "Random selection, placed fifth." I don't use the 9-card square much, and haven't used it for topical questions at all yet. The GT is my main spread for topic-area readings.

DownUnderNZer

Same.

If it was a focus card and topic maybe, but most times it is just random and from 1 to 9 - Top to Bottom.

DND :)

I wasn't quite sure how to vote, since I don't "select" the center card, I just let it fall out of the draw; I deal from top left to bottom right in three rows with no special consideration as to what lands in the middle. So I voted for "Random selection, placed fifth." I don't use the 9-card square much, and haven't used it for topical questions at all yet. The GT is my main spread for topic-area readings.

Onaorkal

When I use the Lenormand, I never choose a significator or focus card, whether it's a 3 or 5 card layout or a square of 9.

Village Witch

I lay the first card drawn in the fifth position and then lay the other cards around it starting in the first position from top left to bottom right.

Barleywine

I lay the first card drawn in the fifth position and then lay the other cards around it starting in the first position from top left to bottom right.

I see merit in doing it this way too. The next time I do a square I'm going to try it.

Genna

I find the topic card and put it in the middle. Then I deal the other cards.

Astraea

Usually I do as Village Witch does, laying the center card first and building the square around it.

tarotlova

When I use the Lenormand, I never choose a significator or focus card, whether it's a 3 or 5 card layout or a square of 9.

Same here, and I just lay them out
I only just tried doing the focus card in the middle still without choosing it deliberately though, as I just bought Alexandre Musruck book on Kipper!