Buying tarot cards in Venice?

Tristram Shandy

I am going to visit Venice (Italy) this February. I'd like to know, if they have shops that sell tarot decks. Web and forum searches didn't help me. I think that Venice has enough population to sustain a couple of metaphysical shops, though.

Abrac

Green With Envy

Tristram Shandy said:
I think that Venice has enough population to sustain a couple of metaphysical shops, though.
I am sure they do and then some. I've never been there, but if it were me, I would ask around when you get there and see if you can find some shops that sell old stuff. You never know what may turn up.

Hemera

Terve,
I was there last June with the exact same question in mind.I was sure they´d have loads of decks there-it being the Lo Scarabeo-country and all... The result was that we have a *much* better choice of both shops and decks in Helsinki.
I found Marco Polo Tarot decks at the Palazzo Ducale Gift shop (appropriately since Marco Polo was Venetian).But that was it!
I went to great trouble in locating one esoteric shop on the other side of the Grand Canale (the shop was called Isis-something) but it can´t be recommended. There were a few worn decks tucked away somewhere between dusty esoteric books and an old (friendly) gentleman who spoke hardly any English.
My advice: Take your own deck(s) with you (and order more from Tarot Garden:) and enjoy the trip!
And be sure to check out the very old original Tarot deck at the Museo Correr in the city center.
-Hyvaa matkaa!-

Alissa

...I don't recall a single metaphysical shop during the time we visited in 99, but I'm hardly a Venetian local so....

Carnivale masks, yes. Decks, no. :) Sounds like good advice from hemera.

(Maybe Riccardo has a better idea?)

Hemera

I just checked in my Travel Journal. It is called "Tempio di Iside" (Temple of Isis) and it is in the San Polo district.

MarkMcElroy

Tarot in Venice

Hi,

I was in Venice for Christmas, 2005, and found that the best Tarot deck deals and selection were actually at tobacconists' shops ... and not at the new age stores!

The shops I dropped in on were near Calle de la Mandola and Rio Tera de la Mandola. From the street, you'll be able to see a number of decks in this particular tobacconist's window. Inside, he had many decks from European publishers that you simply don't see in the states and in most new age bookstores.

Throughout Italy and France, I find that New Age shops tend to carry about the same decks (Llewellyn, Lo Scarabeo, U.S. Games) I find in the States ... but little corner tobacco shops and game shops consistently surprise me with delightful and unexpected decks. (Check up front, near the register.)

Esee

thanks for the tip

hemera And be sure to check out the very old original Tarot deck at the Museo Correr in the city center. -Hyvaa matkaa!-[/QUOTE said:
I hope to go visit in June.

Hemera

Esee said:
hemera And be sure to check out the very old original Tarot deck at the Museo Correr in the city center. -Hyvaa matkaa!-[/QUOTE said:
I hope to go visit in June.

In that case my last sentence is for you,too. It´s Finnish for "Bon Voyage"! :)

Tristram Shandy

I didn't get to Venice. I caught stomach flu one day before the trip. The person, who was going to travel with me, got the same virus as well. We cancelled the trip. The sewerage of Venice would be under heavy load even without us.

However, I haven't given up visiting Venice, and there are other forum readers, who would like to buy their cards in not so familiar places, so this thread is going to be useful for several people.

Nemia

I actually unearthed this thread via Google! I didn't want to start a new one, I hope that's okay.

I go to Venice, Italy, in April. Haven't been there for ages. I'd love to buy a deck there or do something tarot-related.

Any good advice? Updates on the places mentioned above? I'd appreciate it!