How long did it take you since you started learning Tarot to get professional?

nisaba

Hi all
I am not a professional reader yet, I have a looong way to go before that, but the thinking of becoming one one day keeps me going on my studies with more enthusiasm as each day goes by. I am curious about one thing. I know everyone is different and have developed their reading skills in different frames of time, and that quality is not equivalent to more time, but, how long (months, years) did you study and practiced before feeling confident enough to read professionaly? I know the answers will vary from person to person, just a thought that came to me while reading in this section :)

I first picked up a Tarot deck in my mid-teens. It was when I was twenty-one that I offered a reading to a woman facing a dilemma. I never intended to charge her, but she was so impressed with me that she insisted I take a large lump of money. It was at *that* moment that I realised my readings were okay, but I was working full-time so I slowly slid into professional readings gradually. By the time I had been Tarot-involved for ten years, I felt capable of dealing with any person or situation they might be in, and called myself a professional.

But it's different for different folks - if someone picks up their deck less often than I did, or was less willing to admit there were things they didn't know and go researching them, they might take longer, I dunno. :)

ihcoyc

Never been a professional. No ambitions to do so either. Only really read for friends and for myself.

Nemia

More than twenty years, closer to thirty actually. I still feel in the early stages of the journey :)

DownUnderNZer

3 months to learn the Lenormand in and out through the GT and with the Tarot when I came back in 2011 (joined in 2009 but only joined) - not too long like 3 to 6 months. However, with the Tarot, just enough to get the gist of each card with a few layers to its meaning. Since 2012 or 2013 have never really looked at the Tarot that much again as they hold no real interest for me - so I tend to think back to "rusty". (Maybe with some cards not all).

I also am not a Professional reader and have no plans to be.

DND :)

Cocobird55

It took me over ten years. I'm glad I did it.

Grizabella

It took me several years. I don't know the exact number, but it was quite a few. Tarot isn't just memorizing 78 meanings and then setting up shop, as I had imagined it would be when I first started. There's a LOT to learn, not the least of which is learning to listen to your inner voice and then summoning up the courage to say what first comes to your mind. There were many times that I thought I'd never get it. And/or that I just didn't have the knack so many others have. I hung in there, though, and after a few years I started reading with a tip jar. That lasted me for a few more years until finally I felt I was ready to dive into the deep end of the pool to read professionally and charge a set price. :)

It's very few people who can earn a living by reading the cards. Lots of people never get to that point. It's a supplemental income, mostly, not one you can quit your day job for.

Ace

Frannie: When I first took a class in tarot (not something I recommend for others but I did that) I was told: "charge for what you do and give value for what you charge." So I guess I have been pro since I started reading. I charge people I worked with (not my employees but those in the same building with me) 25cents. Years later we still remember how THAT was. Nowadays it is a LOT more for private readings....when I do them.

barb

snowmoon

after i intend to be professional, the chance has came to be by timing.

I'm working on my way.

Barleywine

I started reading semi-professionally (paid readings in informal circumstances) a couple of years after I started studying tarot, back in the mid-70s when I knew more than I do now. :) Last year I eased back into it when asked by a local New Age shop owner to become her main reader. She handles appointments and billing, and I just do the readings and get paid. The definition of "professional" doesn't mean you make most of your living at it or that you have formal credentials, just that you receive compensation for services rendered. You can be a rank amateur and still call yourself "professional" if you can convince people to pay you.