Part of Fortune 1 deg. from Asc?

fkark

Hi everyone,

Can someone tell me how I interpret the part of fortune when it is one degree from the ascendant? (in the first house, Cancer)

thanks

Minderwiz

Firstly a little background that might be useful generally - especially as some software calculates the Part of Fortune incorrectly.

The Part of Fortune is calculated as :

Ascendant + Moon - Sun; For a Day birth

Ascendant + Sun - Moon; For a Night birth

That is the calculation is different depending on whether you were born during the Day or during the night. Some software simply use the first formula and ignore the second or call it the Part of Spirit (properly the Part of Spirit is the reverse of the Part of Fortune, for both Day and Night Births:

So Part of Spirit is calculated as:

Ascendant + Sun - Moon ; for a Day birth

Ascendant + Moon - Sun; for a Night birth.

Secondly the Part of Fortune will only be at the Ascendant if you were born at a New Moon or at a Full Moon, that is the Sun and Moon are in the same position - you add and subtract the same longitude to the Ascendant position, in effect getting back to the Ascendant position. It also follows that in these two cases the Part of Spirit and the Part of Fortune are the same (these are the only cases in which the two Parts are the same). If you check your chart you should be able to confirm that this is so.

The Part of Fortune is primarily an indication of health and through health an indicator of where and how you will prosper. It is not to be interpreted as an indicator solely or even mainly of monetary fortune. Your fortune may lie in your talents, in your relationships, in you children, etc.

Dane Rudhyar said that the Part of Fortune synthesises the three factors with which we must deal, the Sun, Moon and earthly locality and is the focal point for the expression of the power generated by the ssolar-lunar relationship. He also saw this expression as one of the ways in which happiness could be pursued. Thus at one level, the Part of Fortune on your Ascendant would suggest that you will find happiness through a knowledge of yourself and of being yourself. The Ascendant position also indicates that in your case your health is especially important to your happiness.

The interpretation can be taken forward but, in order to do so, more information would be needed. In particular the ruler of the Part of Fortune (usually the planet ruling the sign in which the Part of Fortune is found), its sign and house positions and aspects to it, especially from Sun and Moon but also the other planets.

fkark

minderwiz,

thank you so much for the great info...

Mystic Zyl

I see you study Dane Rudhyar too!

Minderwiz

Well I'm not really into the psychological approach. I do see it as having some uses but often I see the psychological view of Astrology being 'grafted on' to psychology, where issues of counselling are seen as the prime focus. I tend to go with a more traditional 'event oriented' approach to Astrology in which the individual's psychology may be helpful in interpretation but the object is to tell people what's going on around them rather than what's going on in their heads :)

M-Press

Is Dane Rudhyar a reccomendation?

Hi!
I just looked up online, and the book is still available, but has a pub date of 1974!
I never heard of the Sabian symbols...
but i never found any other book that deals with the part of fortune either...
Only recently I found out what it looks like... In "Human Design" they call it "Earth", and they give it quite a significance...

Is astro.com doing OK with the calculations of it?

Also, Minderwiz, I have to think now what the difference is exactly when you say "object is to tell people what's going on around them rather than what's going on in their heads"...
I never thought before of these as separate...or thought to think of that!!!
Isn't sometimes what's in the head, the event itself?

Oh, all these wonders...:)

Minderwiz

Dane Rudhyar is one of the greats of Astrology - whether you agree with him or not. The Sabian symbols are alleged to have been brought into existence by Marc Edmund Jones (also on the list of greats) and Elsie Wheeler in 1925 - and were later adapted and developed by Rudhyar.

There's evidence of some sort of similar systems being used in antiquity, if you want to know more about them try:

http://www.sabian.org/ssorigin.htm

There are a fair number of books which look at the Part of Fortune but few dedicated to it. There's a good chapter in Lee Lehman's Classical Astrology for Modern Living and a couple of good web references from Rob Hand

http://www.astrologix.de/artikel/rhand/rpof1.htm

On the events and heads - I'm not sure whether something that happens in your head is an event - unless we look at it purely in terms of electrical impulses and possibly the cardiovascular system. Events take place in an external world (however we define that) and are, at least in principle, observable and measureable.

Please don't take that as a denial of spiritual experiences or indeed psychological experiences, simply a questioning as to whether mental states and changes in mental states can be regarded as 'events'.

I think the main difference between traditional Astrology and the Psychological approach is that the latter starts from the work of the great psychologists, such as Freud and (especially) Jung. Psychologists are intrested in the workings of the mind, the nature of the 'self' and exploring the role of the collective unconscious in the human experience (amongst other things). Astrology provides a useful system of symbols which allow for a much more sophisticated examination of some of these concepts.

Because of the emphasis on the unconscious and subconscious mind, the Psychological Astrologer places a great deal of importance on Pluto, Neptune and Uranus (probably in that order) - as these planets which are literally hidden from view are seen as useful in symbolising that which is hidden from the view of the conscious mind.

Astrology is seen mainly as a means of extending and improving psychology and the practise of psychological counselling. Those areas of Astrology which are not of obvious or immediate psychological importance are not used. Thus relatively few psychological Astrologers take Horary seriously or event charts or mundane Astrology. Thus Natal Astrology is given pre-eminence.

Traditional Astrology starts from Astrology and its traditional methods and uses these to not only talk about the human condition (including human psychology) but also at a number of levels - from that of 'where did I leave my wallet' to 'What are the consequences for the USA of invading Iraq?'

Because psychology was arguably rudimentary, Traditional Astrology concentrated on prediction and events in the (alleged) 'real world'.

However, whilst they start from different standpoints, the gap is not as wide as I've perhaps suggested. Much of traditional Natal Astrology does look at 'character' but not in a language that post-Jungian generations would easily. The psychological approach is indeed very useful and socially helpful, through the role of Astrological Counsellors but it is not the whole of Astrology or even the main part of it.

M-Press

Thank you, thank you Minderwiz for the well-put, magnificent explanations...
I can only imagine your lectures!
With all your posts here, you already have a four-year astrology course ready!

Now the picture is clearer to me, and I also identified my "style" as to be more of a jack-of -all trades, rather than seeing myself as following, "one" kind of astrological examination, or other...
It seems to be in my stars, to work on things, parallel and wide, and with age to get deeper and deeper... Now I'm more into see how the same things show up in different ways...! (I love integrating systems...)

Regarding the Fortune Part, I found the links very valuable (Thanks!), especially the Robert Hand one (better understood/readable to me.)
One thing that I also saw, as I did a transits chart, is that the Part of Fortune is not something that transits, right?
It acts different than a planet...
Well, there is a lot of info there, I need to explore it more...
I also did not find, let's say what it means if you have that Part in what sign...
Robert Hand talks about it, but I didn't manage to get a clear idea about it...

I got mine in the 10th house, in Aquarious, where I have my North Node as well...
This is why I went looking where it transits now...but I guess it doesn't!

Astrology, is definitely the most bottomless well!!!!!
too bad I have to run to work!!!

Minderwiz

Firstly does the Part of Fortune transit - in one sense yes, for any location on earth there is always a Part of Fortune at any one moment. However as this is unrelated to any specific chart the real answer is that it doesn't transit in any meaningful way.

It can however be progressed if you progress Ascendant, Sun and Moon and as this would be chart specific you could claim that it is meaningful. As the Arabs and Greeks were not into progressions of the Parts, I have reservations. In a natal chart I would take it as being fixed at birth and not bother with Transits or Progressions of the Part of Fortune.

What does it mean - Tenth House, well your fortune lies in your career, social status (& possibly but very unlikely, your mother). The ruler of your Part of Fortune is Saturn (not Uranus - the Parts are Greek in origin and they were not aware of Uranus as a planet). Look at where Saturn lies in your chart, look at its strength and its aspects to other planets. This will give you some indication of how well you will be able to achieve your 'fortune' but being ruled by Saturn, it is likely to be a slow and deliberate and possibly obstacle strewn process. Again the Arabs and Greeks would not worry too much about the sign, more the placement by house and the ruler by sign, house, and aspect.

The Greeks also seem to have used an alternative system of 'houses' based on the Part of Fortune (which would take the place of the Ascendant), each house (or 'lot') would reveal something about the way fortune would affect the native.

There's a good discussion in Lee Lehmans Classical Astrology for Modern Living.

M-Press

Thank you Minderwiz!

You definitely push me to heights...
I ordered both the Lee Lehman and Dane books...
I hope I can read them!

I'm very interested in the Part of Fortune, because as i said in a previous post, Human Design (the new astroogy?) give it great importance (and call it EARTH!) (and my thing is to cross examine...)
I would also like to find out whether there is any evidence for it in Kabbalistic Astrology...
Glad of course that the Greeks had a say, since I'm Greek too!!!! ;-)