Large Sphere - Jasper? Or something else?

Glass Owl

Here a current picture of how I am displaying this beautiful piece. Given its weight (and boy, it is heavy!) this pretty much the only shelf that I trust to hold its weight. Plus, I have to keep it away from my cats.

I showed a picture of it to a lady who owes a rock and crystal shop and she took one peek at it and said it was labradorite.

Attachments

• 20140514_213005.jpg
    20140514_213005.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 105

stonesatiety

What a beauty! And from a thrift store. Never know where a stone might turn up. It looks happy.

celticnoodle

very pretty, Glass Owl! It does look like it would be heavy. by chance, do you scry at all? have you tried to scry w/this?

morticia monroe

So hard to tell from photos,,Id say labradorite or possibly serpentine.

stonesatiety

very pretty, Glass Owl! It does look like it would be heavy. by chance, do you scry at all? have you tried to scry w/this?

First thing I thought too, celticnoodle. ha! I'm trying to take a break from that play online, but at home things keep going 24/7! What can I do but keep playing with the stones?

Glass Owl: This may turn out to be a lovely gazing crystal, if you are so inclined. A charoite sphere I purchased years ago has been reminding me of how fun a non-transparent crystal sphere can be!

Briar Rose

I love it! It looks like it found you!!!

Glass Owl

I haven't scryed before but that sounds like a cool idea. I have been meaning to meditate/sit with it but its size and weight makes it challenge.

So hard to tell from photos,,Id say labradorite or possibly serpentine.
I am still on the fence too as it doesn't look like the small labradorite pendent I have. I have held this sphere under a light and moved it around and I don't see any shimmering or bluish tones at all. It is very flat. But I suppose it could have to do with its size, the light can't reflect through it. When I photograph it, it does appear to have some blue tones in there but in normal lighting in looks green. The shop owner who identified it as labradorite had a small sphere and it did look similar to it in terms of the color. Mine has those streaks of goldish looking lines in it which I think add to its character.

Glass Owl

What a beauty! And from a thrift store. Never know where a stone might turn up. It looks happy.
Aw, thank you. I am still shocked that I discovered this beauty at a thrift store. I would have never been able to afford this sphere at its retail price regardless of what it is.

I love it! It looks like it found you!!!
Yes, I think it was perfect timing. I hate to think what would have happened to it if I hadn't come along. It was tossed on the shelf with so much stuff that it could have easily rolled off and ended up broken. Sadly, there are things that get damaged there (especially dishes) as it is a high volume thrift store.

Briar Rose

Today I got a Chakra Cone set- the sodalite cone looks a lot like your sphere. Tomorrow, I will take a picture of it, and post it (outside day light picture).

I am learning a lot about gems and Crystals. From the books I am reading, and the talks with my miner friends, I am learning that that Crystals are not so solitary in their Matrix.

For instance, we picture sodalite white with blue bands. One of the tumbles I have has a chatoyant. When I turn it from the light, the deep blue fires up to a silver chatoyant (like cat's eye, or labradorite).

I just read that sodalite, under ultra violet light is yellow. I haven't read enough about ultra violet light to get into that YET. Is a black light an ultra violet light, anyone?

I can take some pictures in the day light tomorrow.

Darkmage

Blacklight is UV, pretty much. It's right on the border of visible light and UVA. Pop something that fluoresces under it and it will glow.

I love mine. I've got UV reactive makeup for clubs and a lot of glow-in-the-dark stuff. I use my little handheld one for checking makeup, looking for pet stains (three cats), and scorpion hunting. My other one is a fluorescent wall fixture that's great for charging my glowy Tarot and Ouija board.

If you've got a blacklight, stick the stone under it and see what happens. I've never heard of labradorite fluorescing, but I should check it with some of the pieces I have. I've got a fluorescent opal that's not much to look at as it's a uniform cream but glows bright green under blacklight. Random stones will also glow, depending on what they are and what impurities are in them.

Blacklight stuff is a lot of fun. Let us know what you find.