Large Sphere - Jasper? Or something else?

Hemera

It is beautiful! What a great find! It doesn't look like labradorite though. I have several pieces in different sizes and they look very different. The shimmer is always there no matter what the size or shape is. The green color is a different shade as well.

Glass Owl

Today I got a Chakra Cone set- the sodalite cone looks a lot like your sphere. Tomorrow, I will take a picture and post it (outside day light picture).

Thanks for the suggestion of sodalite. I didn't realize that sodalite can also be green. Doing a web search turned up very few pieces for comparison but it looks like a contenter. Sodalite also has those lines of white. My sphere has lines that look white and some that look more gold toned.

It is beautiful! What a great find! It doesn't look like labradorite though. I have several pieces in different sizes and they look very different. The shimmer is always there no matter what the size or shape is. The green color is a different shade as well.

Yes, there is no shimmering at all. In some photographs it looks a bit bluish but it doesn't in person. To me it looks like various shades of green, mostly darker greens.

Briar Rose

It itsn't Sodalite. Although from your pictures and the sodalite I took a picture of, it looks similar.

Any thoughts of what you might have? Does it show any mica?

stonesatiety

I think your sphere is happy that we are talking and enjoying it, regardless of whether we come up with an accepted label. :) Since you are attracted to agate and this sphere feels different, I'd trust your feeling. The circular marks and lines of white mineral remind me of orbicular jasper I have seen. I have two orbicular jasper spheres (ocean jasper, but that's trademarked so we have to call it orbicular jasper now), but they are heavily orbicular. I'm still unable to post photos or I'd show you.

Stones don't always carry characteristics throughout, sometimes having only a hint of a clue. Experienced geologists often can't agree on the identity of a given stone, so I suppose we are doing okay.

The other stone your sphere looks like is the emerald in matrix. I have a much smaller emerald with quartz sphere that has many similarities. The differences are no circular markings and a lot of sparkles when the light shines on it. Maybe pyrite or mica?

I smiled at the image of you riding carefully along with the huge stone sphere on your bike. The sphere may have been helping you. Stones often do. Regarding the possible market value: when we need a stone and open to them, they come. It might be a common rock, a gift or a thrift store bonanza, but they come. ;-)

Glass Owl

I think your sphere is happy that we are talking and enjoying it, regardless of whether we come up with an accepted label. :) Since you are attracted to agate and this sphere feels different, I'd trust your feeling. The circular marks and lines of white mineral remind me of orbicular jasper I have seen. I have two orbicular jasper spheres (ocean jasper, but that's trademarked so we have to call it orbicular jasper now), but they are heavily orbicular. I'm still unable to post photos or I'd show you.

Stones don't always carry characteristics throughout, sometimes having only a hint of a clue. Experienced geologists often can't agree on the identity of a given stone, so I suppose we are doing okay.

The other stone your sphere looks like is the emerald in matrix. I have a much smaller emerald with quartz sphere that has many similarities. The differences are no circular markings and a lot of sparkles when the light shines on it. Maybe pyrite or mica?

After studying more photos yesterday, I have become more convinced than ever that it is a green jasper. (Rhyolite, commonly known as Rainforest Jasper.) The circular lines, the swirls, the colors, etc of my sphere all seem characteristic of jasper and when I see various pics of jasper spheres (especially the green ones) I see similarities to mine. I think what has been tripping me up is the fact that my sphere is unpolished and it's made up of slightly different shades of green and so it's a bit harder to see the patterns. (A lot of the rainforest/kambala/etc jasper pieces online have more variety in the greens which makes it easier to spot the patterns.) My other top contender is lemurian jade or green moss agate.

But if it turns out that it is something else entirely (such as emerald) that wouldn't change how I feel about it. Regardless of what its official label is or what it is monetary value is, I think it is an amazing piece and I know I am incredibly lucky to have found it.

I smiled at the image of you riding carefully along with the huge stone sphere on your bike. The sphere may have been helping you. Stones often do. Regarding the possible market value: when we need a stone and open to them, they come. It might be a common rock, a gift or a thrift store bonanza, but they come. ;-)

I must admit, I probably looked silly riding around with this huge boulder in my bicycle basket. I'm lucky no one was around taking pictures of me. But I was really determined to buy it and get it home - even if was on a bicycle. Since I normally don't walk into a store and get *that* attached to something, perhaps there's something to me to being attracted to the stone's energy.

A side note: Since acquiring this stone I have gone to the thrift store and been drawn to two bracelets which I now wear all of the time. Both are jasper - one is picture jasper and the other is mookaite jasper. So now it looks as though I have gone from being attracted to agate (and finding agate all over the place) to jasper.

Hemera

So now it looks as though I have gone from being attracted to agate (and finding agate all over the place) to jasper.
Haha :) I know! I have gone from Labradorite to Aquamarine.