How important is your ascendant sign

Emma313

Compared to your sun and moon sign...some authors think its paramount

I dont agree at all

I think moon first , sun second and ascendant last

My asc virgo is annoying myself all the time, be perfect to the smallest of detials impossible !! my sun libra is struggling and my moon sagitarius doesnt give a crap

In other words at the end of the day i dont care but on a daily basis i do :(

How to integrate all your essential needs....especially if some collide..ie libra just want beauty and harmony around me,,.virgo,,,that 2cm of plaster wasnt filed in in that wall as if it bloody mattered

I would say that my moon is stronger overall, is the moon more important/strong?

danieljuk

well how people regard them all, changes for every person and every author!

I always see them like this but have read other ideas as well....

The Sun - represents your conscious self, your every day you! Your core personality. But everyone in that sign's month has the same Sun sign. We are more complex than just this as people and so for years people have been basing their astrological horoscopes as this one sign.

The Moon - represents your subconscious self, that shadow side when you are angry or upset or using your intuition. This is not the core like the Sun but the primal sign and sometimes it only reveals itself when you feel very safe with someone or very emotional.

The Rising Sign - is the sign on the Horizon to the East when we are born. It's become really popular currently about how important it is. I think this is because astrologers who produce horoscopes for 12 different signs are now saying "don't just look at your sun sign". It's good advice really to look at your sun sign and rising sign because that at least reflects more of your personal chart than just one sign! This represents how others see you (whilst the Sun is how you see yourself) and also your "horizons" and aspirations as a person.

I think some astrologers would say that just looking at any one sign gives a very one dimensional view of a person. Some would say you have to look at everything to get a fair view but it has to be better to look at more than one sign to get a horoscope. You can look at any sign if you want or all of them!

But which is more important is personal to you. Which part of "you" is the most important? the subconscious, the conscious or how others see you? it's subjective I think and you can make it work for your personal method :)

I read my horoscopes from sources I respect and been experimenting with this, just for fun! for me reading the rising sign gives the best results in my experimenting so far. But still reading one sign is limiting. Perhaps all these 3 are the most important to read but then there is other places in the chart that are important as well.

Minderwiz

Horoscopic Astrology takes its name from the Greek word Horoskopos, meaning the hour marker. The hour in question is the moment something happens, your birth being the obvious happening in natal Astrology.

That point marks the origin or beginning point of your natal chart and the zodiacal positions of the twelve houses, measured from the hour marker. Without it, the most we can do is talk about the posiition of the planets by zodiacal placement and those placements would be true (apart from the Moon) for everyone born on the same day. Anyone, anywhere in the world, having your date of birth and approximately the same time of birth, would be astrologically identical to you. There would be no way of giving a personal reading about anything.

So it's the Ascendant that differentiates your chart from that of anyone else. That fact alone, means that it's your key astrological factor. Up till the turn of the nineteenth century there would have been no discussion about this issue. The ranking would have been Ascendant, Moon (which was seen as mediating the influence of the planets and the Cosmos to the Earth) and then came the Sun, which ruled the Cosmos itself.

The twentieth Century saw the advent of 'pop' Astrology, through Sun Sign Columns, incorrectly referred to as horoscopes. The only way Astrology coud be simplified to seem to apply to everyone was to ignore the individual Ascendant, to ignore the Moon (because its not easy to generalise its position for every year) and to go with the Sun, which can be generalised (though not completely accurately).

Even then the Ascendant is not completely lost, because the only way that the Sun can be interpreted in such columns, is to assume that everyone is born with the Sun on the Ascendant. This is never stated but if you think about the nature of 'horoscope' predictions, you will realise that this is the case. Even much of the Solar meanings in this system come from the traditional meanings for the Ascendant in each sign.

Now even though the Ascendant is the most important single point, that doesn't mean that its the complete story, or even the majority of the story. It can be outweighed by the other placements in your chart, because there's seven other traditional planets to consider (nine or ten if you accept the modern planets and countless more if you add in asteroids, centaurs, etc.)

MandMaud

I have come to think the house each planet is in matters most - or at least, a lot. (Of course the Ascendant (Rising Sign) isn't a planet, it describes where the first house is.) Aspects are also very important but I haven't got into them very deeply yet. :)

For example, though, my Sun is in Leo, but it's in the 8th house which I now think is why I was never your stereotypical Leo: not a huge show-off, not snobbish, etc. And more likely to be cold and vindictive with my anger rather than loud and open about it, etc.

I'm not sure that any of Sun, Moon, Asc, is more important than the others IN ITSELF. If I understand it right, each planet (and the Ascendant and other non-planet points) has periods of being more, or less, important depending on factors such as what's going on in the sky. When the moon is conjunct with your own natal Moon, it brings out your Moon characteristics... etc.

Anyway, I think of the three like this:
  • Sun - basic self, "who I am";
  • Moon - needs: the way we "do" our needs, and the way we respond to others' needs;
  • Ascendant - relating to the rest of the world: how we appear to others, but also how we interpret them.
This is simplistic of course, any brief description has to be.

So since you're Libra/Sag/Virgo, that would mean:
  • you're "really" at heart best with harmony, agreement; you have trouble choosing sides; you have good taste;
  • you have a need to explore the world (travel and meeting people) and ideas (learning, philosophising);
  • you're analytical in how you see people, you notice details, and can come across as critical or petty, but also reliable and I should think good at looking after your friends in practical ways...?
Without the houses that's as far as I can get. Over-simplifying again, of course. :)

ETA: Remember each trait can be positive or negative. The flip side of your "libra just want beauty and harmony around me" could be avoiding confrontation too much ... the flip side of "virgo,,,that 2cm of plaster wasnt filed in in that wall" is that you'll notice the hole just starting to form in the boat, before the boat sinks! :p I suggest looking for the useful side of each sign's characteristics, and from that, trying to get them to work together.

I don't know what's transiting where at the moment, but if your Libra Sun is in your second house, those both relate to Venus, so if something's going on with that planet it could explain why your Sun isn't comfortable for the time being. :)

twinrambull

What does that mean though - "how you interpret them"? Does that mean we see people acting like our ASC sign? Or does it mean our lens of seeing is Through our ASC sign?

tealily

I'm a novice hobby astrologist, but I don't really see anything as being more important than the other... more that they all come together as a whole. Eg someone may be Italian (sun sign), of Macedonian heritage (moon sign), is addicted to texting (rising sign), etc etc... just a silly example but sort of how I see individual components coming in to add texture and individuality to a whole.

re: rising vs moon vs sun signs - the only thing I think that I try to take notice of is if there's any 'mode' or 'sign' dominance. Eg I'm a scorpio but am packed with gemini in my chart, so a lot of people only see the cute and fluffy first (and I'm totally okay with that :D). I also have a friend whose signs are all over the chart but mostly fixed, and she's stubborn as a mule/can be a bit slow to change her mind, so that makes sense to me.

Winterchild

My sun sign and ascendant are both Cancer but then the strong parts of my personality always seem to be underlined as it were, same with my numerology...

... but back to astrology, I find the North node to be really significant too, especially when looking at character profiles.

Minderwiz

I'm a novice hobby astrologist, but I don't really see anything as being more important than the other... more that they all come together as a whole. Eg someone may be Italian (sun sign), of Macedonian heritage (moon sign), is addicted to texting (rising sign), etc etc... just a silly example but sort of how I see individual components coming in to add texture and individuality to a whole.

re: rising vs moon vs sun signs - the only thing I think that I try to take notice of is if there's any 'mode' or 'sign' dominance. Eg I'm a scorpio but am packed with gemini in my chart, so a lot of people only see the cute and fluffy first (and I'm totally okay with that :D). I also have a friend whose signs are all over the chart but mostly fixed, and she's stubborn as a mule/can be a bit slow to change her mind, so that makes sense to me.

Yes that's true but it's not the complete picture by any means. Are you saying that the Sun's meaning is the same, no matter where it's placed in your chart? If so, house meanings become irrelevant. But Western (and Vedic) Astrology is predicated that the house position of the planets is perhaps their most important characteristic.

At it's simplest, they indicate the area of life where the planet is most noticeable. At an intermediate level, they indicate which area of life the planet exercises most influence in the longer term. A person with a Leo Sun will exhibit differences in the way the Sun manifests if it's in the tenth house compared to if it's in the fifth house.

Yes, there is a further level of integration. The planets can have an effect on each other, through the relationship of the planet to it's house ruler and through aspects and antiscia (to give perhaps the main three methods of interaction, though these are not exclusive). So we can build up a picture of the individual and their characteristics (psychology or temperament), which yields much more information and allows individual differences to be examined in a more detailed way.

Brilliance

The Sun and Moon is much more important in my opinion.