Satanist looking for a suitable deck...

Amanda

I know what deck I want now.

Through my life, I've praised and looked up to the strong and conquering character represented by various 'dark lord' archetypes throughout literature: Unholy knights ruling over legions, hulking armored lords of chaos, etc. Is there a deck with a theme like that?

A lot of the characters in the Tarot of Vampyres are like that, if you can get past the gothic, medieval type of dark romance of painful undying love that comes across in some cards. The Kings are especially darkish lords, blazing along on their horses through mid-air like they're about to go to war and out-to-kill. But this isn't what I would consider a beginner's deck either, and if RWS is all you've used up to this point, switching over to the Tarot of Vampyres might be difficult, as it's inspiration is based on the Thoth system with lots of correlations to think about.

Deviant Moon is still a good deck, if you like a quirky and whimsical, yet twisted sense of humor (that is how I would personify this deck). It's very easy to read and would be a good transition from a standard RWS.

agent199

The Dark Grimoire is one COOL looking deck! I like it!

crystal dawn

maybe

The Baphomet Tarot

or

The Necronomicon Tarot

blessings

crystal

Lokismile

Most "dark-themed" tarot decks tend to be more goth than substance. Though some like it, the luciferian deck by Ford is poorly drawn and published IMHO.

Good ones:
Bohemian gothic- but it is expensive since it is out of print.
Savage tarot- available through the artists website: )

The Luciferian drawings can be a bit juvenile, but I find the black and white cards (many of the minors) quite striking.
More importantly, it is extremely accurate for me.

The Thoth, as pentha reiterated above, is excellent for anyone with a progressive mind set.

The Savage is now back in print, with improved color and lighting.

Cheers and have fun ;-)

Lokismile

oh, and go on ebay -- check out the Tarot of Shadow by Vera Skyralova I believe. Russian version only, not Ukraine bootlegs. stunning drawings, the box art is huge Pentagram on Red high quality packaging.
Cards in Russian.
Art for the dark.