A Visual Guide to Nine Lives Tarot

frejasphere

Hello all :)

I'm not sure if this can go here or if I should be posting elsewhere on the forum (so mods, feel free to move me around at will ;)) ....

I would like to invite you to join me on a pen & ink journey; to follow the creative process of a visual guide for my recently self-published deck: Nine Lives Tarot
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/nine-lives-tarot/

While creating the artwork for Nine Lives Tarot, I got to know many of the characters on a personal level... To leave them and move on so soon after completing the deck, wouldn't feel right :)

Written guide books are available for many Tarot decks (either accompanying the deck, or available as a separate publication), where words are used to explain the imagery, symbolism and meaning of each card.
For Nine Lives Tarot, my aim is to create a visual guide where images and text can work together to explore and further introduce the characters...

The journey is under way; beginning with detailed pen & ink drawings; giving characters the opportunity to talk more about themselves... Text will be added to each spread at a later stage; and my hope is that the guide, when complete, will serve as an accompaniment to the deck. Using the voices of the court cards, the journey begins in the North - where the Page of Swords is first to introduce herself...

Link to post on my blog: http://www.ninelivestarot.com.au/blog/visiting-the-page-of-swords/

Page of Swords - pen and ink drawing: http://www.ninelivestarot.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/00-page-swords-ink_aa2014.jpg

My aim is to post regular updates (scans of drawings as I complete, or near complete them). The drawing process is slow; each spread is ~ 42x30cm; filled with detailed ink dots, squiggles and lines applied with pens ranging from 0.7 down to 0.13mm in width. With my current workload I will be lucky if I can complete a drawing in a week ... :) Also, I haven't really thought about how to publish the book yet, but I am sure that bridge can be crossed at a later date ... :)

I know this is a shameless plug for a project I'm currently very excited about :) I hope you come and have a look, either in the thread above or on my blog, where I post updates as often as I can.

Nina*

Just wanted to say that you've made a beautiful deck; I really like your drawings.

Never saw it before so thank you for posting. :)

frejasphere

Just wanted to say that you've made a beautiful deck; I really like your drawings.

Never saw it before so thank you for posting. :)

Thank you Nina for your kind words & encouragement :)

frejasphere

Time has a dreadful habit of getting away from me - perhaps it is that I'm prone to starting many things and then go on to fail in my bargaining efforts with the Time Lords .... perhaps it is because I'm an insufferable Time optimist...?

I am not entirely sure - but one thing is certain - I cannot (however much I would like to) blame Jet-lag... as nobody in their right mind would believe that being moved from Tarot Decks to this new home in the Deck Creation Forum could possibly result in 3 weeks of time confusion :rolleyes:

The attached image shows the beginning of the next drawing in the visual guide, it is just a small section of the drawing -and the photo quality isn't great (sorry) - I am hoping my next update will be a little more 'visual' :) It is just that my life decided to take a busy detour these last few weeks, and the drawings have been limited to 'forming in my head'... :)

After visiting the Page of Swords, our journey takes us through the castle in the North to meet with the Knight of Swords, a most determined and headstrong young man ...

Attachments

• 00-aa2014-knight-swords-detail.jpg
    00-aa2014-knight-swords-detail.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 106