How to harvest sage

daphne

I have some sage plants in my garden. I wonder when should I harvest and how to use them for smudge.

Shall I take only the leafs? The entire/half of the plant? And then let them dry before burning?

celticnoodle

Check out thewebsite, prairieridge.com forthat. They show howto do it and also have a clip on you tube about this.

UrbanBramble

The big sage bundles are leaves and stems all bundled together and burned. So you can harvest by cutting them down the stem, dry them, and tie them up. OR you can harvest the individual leaves and use them by putting some on a charcoal tablet. Either way dry them first.

daphne

The big sage bundles are leaves and stems all bundled together and burned. So you can harvest by cutting them down the stem, dry them, and tie them up. OR you can harvest the individual leaves and use them by putting some on a charcoal tablet. Either way dry them first.

Thank you! Is it ok for the plant to harvest all the stems, or I should let some?

Marirowana

Thank you! Is it ok for the plant to harvest all the stems, or I should let some?

You can harvest all the stems, as long if you leave the roots in the ground, they will grow back (if the circumstances are right).
I always leave at least half of the plant untouched though, and I use that later if I need it - for tea or other medicinal use.

daphne

You can harvest all the stems, as long if you leave the roots in the ground, they will grow back (if the circumstances are right).
I always leave at least half of the plant untouched though, and I use that later if I need it - for tea or other medicinal use.

Thank you, very good idea!
Though I dont like too much its flavor in food.

Marirowana

Thank you, very good idea!
Though I dont like too much its flavor in food.

It is a very healthy multi-purpose herb, but if you don't like the flavor, it wouldn't do you any good.

You could pour some oil over the leaves and let it sit in a bottle in the dark for a few weeks, than take the leaves out and use the oil for skincare. It has anti-inflammatory, stimulating and soothing effects.

daphne

It is a very healthy multi-purpose herb, but if you don't like the flavor, it wouldn't do you any good.

You could pour some oil over the leaves and let it sit in a bottle in the dark for a few weeks, than take the leaves out and use the oil for skincare. It has anti-inflammatory, stimulating and soothing effects.

Wow, great! Thank you!
I am always in search for natural skin care.