Pictures of men reading cards prior to 1960??

Teheuti

Ross G Caldwell said:
all such paintings deserve a good study.They all have movement, plot, narrative...
And this one seems rich with story. Like what are the open scissors doing on the floor and how about they little face on the back of the chair seat (facing us)? Why is the woman in the next room listening?

I don't think we can really know who the woman standing next to the couple is. She could be part of their family or the child's nurse or a companion.

Fabiannemo

ooooo, just looked at the blog.

I love, love , LOVE the video clip of Marlene Dietrich as a fortune teller. [swoon]

Teheuti

Fabiannemo said:
ooooo, just looked at the blog.

I love, love , LOVE the video clip of Marlene Dietrich as a fortune teller. [swoon]
That's one of my favorites - a perfect dramatic moment between her and Orson Welles. I play it over and over again.

Briar Rose

Ross, I *love* the hand painted etching. It's what I call painterly, meaning that it looks like a photograph. I love it. So much in fact, I printed it out and I am going to frame it. There is so much action in the painting. What I am thinking is that IS a man reading the cards, and his wife is eavesdropping . However, clearing there is a skirt under the table. Very strange indeed. The sitter has his whole family with him, including the dog. And what is the significance of the scissors on the floor?

Thank you very very much Ross.

What a lovely thread Mary. Very interesting blog you have. I appreciate all the time and knowledge you out into it. Amazing talent.

Teheuti

Briar Rose said:
Very interesting blog you have. I appreciate all the time and knowledge you out into it. Amazing talent.
Thank you, Briar Rose. I have to acknowledge that its not my knowledge alone that goes into it, but contributions from aeclectic members (I usually try to get permission unless it is general knowledge or something I already knew) and from the old tarotL on yahoo. It takes a community to bring all this information together.

BTW, by searching on 'tireuse de cartes' and Kartenschlaegerin I've found a whole bunch more images. The masc. forms have resulted in little or nothing. Any other foreign terms I should search on? I've also used 'baralho cigano' and 'tirar las cartas' (as well as 'naipes').

coredil

Teheuti said:
BTW, by searching on 'tireuse de cartes' and Kartenschlaegerin I've found a whole bunch more images. The masc. forms have resulted in little or nothing. Any other foreign terms I should search on? I've also used 'baralho cigano' and 'tirar las cartas' (as well as 'naipes').
German: "Kartenleger" (card reader), "Wahrsager" (fortune teller), eventually "Hexenmeister" (male witch)

French: "Diseur de bonne aventure" (fortune teller) and eventually "sorcier" (male witch)

PS (and off topic)
I do not understand how to post a pic that is directly visible in the thread as Ross Caldwell does.
Is it doable for normal user with pics that one upload to AT server?

Ross G Caldwell

coredil said:
PS (and off topic)
I do not understand how to post a pic that is directly visible in the thread as Ross Caldwell does.
Is it doable for normal user with pics that one upload to AT server?

It has to be a link beginning with "http://" between
markers. I think you can present any image here, from a web-based server, that way.

BTW, I believe this can only be done in the history forum, a concession granted for the needs of research.

Ross

coredil

Ross G Caldwell said:
It has to be a link beginning with "http://" between
markers. I think you can present any image here, from a web-based server, that way.

BTW, I believe this can only be done in the history forum, a concession granted for the needs of research.

Ross
Thanks.
But it does not seem to work with attachments posted to AT.
At least the adress given with such an attachment, does not lead to the result.
But I stop and better ask on the technical forum because it is really off topic.

Ross G Caldwell

coredil said:
Thanks.
But it does not seem to work with attachments posted to AT.
At least the adress given with such an attachment, does not lead to the result.
But I stop and better ask on the technical forum because it is really off topic.

Right - attachments aren't allowed, only links.

You can use something like photobucket to hold your captured images online.

coredil

Ross G Caldwell said:
Right - attachments aren't allowed, only links.

You can use something like photobucket to hold your captured images online.[/QUOTE]
Thanks.
Fine, it works with a direct link to the pic :)
I have now edited post 19 of this thread and it works :)