example.

I usually use this as a sign that they need to
look at that element...but now I wonder. :confused:

Thanks for your time,
ros
:)

Ace-Of-Cups

dude...

cups signify heart, emotion, so i think it may mean he feels really detached from the issue, like he may want to be involved, but somehow cant fill himself with passion for doing it, ya kno
2 cents-

Summersweet

I usually see it as whatever element is missing is also missing in the question or topic they have asked about. For example a relationship reading with no swords could suggest lack of communication, I've never seen it as they have already gone through that element.

I usually expect to see some sort of balance between elements and if there isn't like an element missing or too many cards of an element then balance is needed.

poivre

Thanks!

Yes, the missing element brings balance to the spread.

Sometimes I over analyse!
Drives me crazy.........
:laugh:

Sihaya

I look at the absence of a suit as a lack of the traits of the element in a reading.

Recently, I've been getting readings with no cups when I read for my friends, especially when I do relationship readings. So I take this as a lack of emotion, romance, love in their lives. Most of them are single so it makes sense.
I don't necessarly see no swords as a lack of communication, but as a lack of thought. The absence of pentacles indicates the person is not grounded in reality. No wands mean a lack of passion and energy. It's usually that simple. :p

sharpchick

I think a lot has to do with the subject of the reading or the question. I wouldn't find a reading about someone's need to get a job particularly significant if there were no cups (just as an example).