What is your go to spread?

kellyshay

What is a spread that you use everyday? or for general use?
A spread that is suitable for any question that a querant might have in mind

Darkmage

People are going to hate me for saying this, but the Celtic Cross. It gives a full overview of the situation at hand and shows how the sitter's current path will play out if nothing changes.

There's always three cards or the Horseshoe if more detail on one specific aspect is required, but I love the CC for general readings and probably always will.

Trogon

I have a couple of 3-card spreads I use a lot because they are quick and easy and work for many types of questions. The cards for both are laid out in a simple line - 1-2-3 ... and each position has a "meaning";

Issue - Blockage - Advice

This is very useful for fairly specific questions like "why am I angry about such and such", or "how can I control myself regarding this other thing". The first card kind of cuts to the chase about what the person is REALLY asking about, the second is what may be holding them back or getting in the way, and the last is ... well, advice. Say a person wants to know why they can't find a good romantic partner, this would work quite well. Or maybe they're having a problem with breaking a bad habit (like unhealthy eating habits) - again, this spread would work well.

Another is; Past - Present - Future

Very good for a general reading where the person doesn't have a specific question. Usually, for me, with a 3-card "PPF", the card for the Past looks back a few weeks or so, the Present is what's going on right now (obviously this can be within a few days of the reading) and the Future card looks ahead a few weeks to a month. The nice thing with this is, if you want to look deeper into the past and future, you can expand it out to 5 or 7 cards, with each additional position on either end adding a few months to the time line;

Past - more recent Past - Present - near Future - Futre

Something like this might look 3 to 6 months into the past and 3 to 6 months into the future.

As I said, 3-card readings are very useful and flexible. The one I actually am using the most right now is a daily "Theme - Challenge - Lesson". This gives me an idea of the overall way the day is going to go, what will challenge me personally and a lesson I can learn from these.

Hope this helps. :D

Fonda

Celtic Cross

I agree with Darkmage. I've always used the Celtic cross for prettymuch everything. (Because if it's big enough to consult the cards it's important enough to get the whole picture--at least that's the way I see it) I've recently been trying to experiment with smaller spreads but nothing has really clicked yet.

BodhiSeed

For general daily readings, I have two that I use. The first one is a five card spread (What Surrounds Me) laid out in an "X" shape:
2 ~~~ 3
~~ 1~~
4 ~~~ 5
Card one represents me, (or the querent), where I am mentally, physically, emotionally, or spiritually. Cards 2 through 5 represent people, situations, things, etc. that will affect me in some way that day. If I am running short of time, I might turn it into a 3 card spread using the same specifics: 2 ~ 1 ~ 3.

The second one I use is what I call the Head, Heart and Hands Spread:
1 ~ 2 ~ 3
The first card is what I need to know about the day ahead, the second card is what I need to embrace (emotionally or spiritually) and the third card is what I need to do or action I need to take.

Carla

3 cards without assigned meanings is my go-to spread.

For specific questions, I love the Magic Cauldron spread.

For big 'general readings', I quite like the tetractys spread.

Le Fanu

Mostly it's a three-card spread with any number of variations, either no card positions, a snapshop narrative. Or positions I invent on the spur of the moment.

For something more in-depth, I use Le Fanu's 7-card spread;

1. What you're feeling

2. Immediate Future

3. What is hidden/what comes from the past and is influencing

4. What you hope for or want.

5. What you'll get

6. The Unexpected

7. Consequences

Cards can be arranged in any format though I usually do three cards up, a "summit" card (which is card number 4), then three cards down...