Tarot for Yourself - Chpt. 5 Court Card Personalities

Kaz

Jewel,
i don''t think the table will be much use to do, so we might skip that one. I will leave it to you though :)
and, about the conversation i still have to do, help me a bit with some topics those cards could talk about?
i will be slow in posting due to techy probs here, but working on it to get alternative connection.

kaz

Jewel

Kaz, per our e-mail exchange this AM I sent you a suggestion for the topic for your court card discussion, if that does not work for you let me know I will make anther suggestion.

SE I am not sure what you would need to do. I just check, I have not subscribed to any of it.

Will try to post next exercise in Chpt. 5 tomorrow, and will be skipping the correspondence table (which Kaz I redid with the Cosmic Tribe and was able to do it better, but still did not find parts of the exercise that helpful).

napaisti

Court Card Party

Deck: Old Path

I feel attracted to the Queen of Cauldrons (cups). She seems so loving and open. I see aspects of myself that I want to develop.

I would like to avoid the Knight of Rods. His fiery temper seems about to flare up at any time.

I feel uncomfortable with the Knight of Cauldrons. He seems too needy for love, smothering, clingy (see my dialogue for further examples)

I feel happy and talkative with the Queen of Rods. She has a girl-next-door feel about her. The type you plop down on the bed with and talk about guys, hopes and dreams, etc. while doing each other's hair or nails.

I feel secrecy and solitude about the Queen and Knight of Pentacles. The Queen seems wistful, and the Knight like he is perfectly happy and comfortable when by himself.

The Queen of Swords seems like she could be quite rude at times, the King of Pentacles seems actually snobbish, and the Pages of Swords and Pentacles seem too involved with their own lives to be bothered by anyone else.

I feel welcomed and warmed by the Queens of Cauldrons and Rods. They are definitely the hostesses here. (I don't know how to better explain that; it just fits)

I also felt compelled to add another dimension
I feel protected by the King of Swords. While he is calm, almost reflective, his sword is at hand to defend any who might need defending and to maintain the peace.

dialogue to follow

napaisti

Court Card Dialogue

Deck: Old Path
Cards chosen: Knight of Cauldrons & Queen of Swords
Topic: the Nature of Love

<in a dark hallway just off from the main ballroom>
:TKNC : Milady, come away with me . . . I implore you!
:TQS : Go with you? Certainly not! What would people say?!
:TKNC : I don't care what others say as long as we can be together!
:TQS : Dear boy, we could not be together. I am a queen; I have responsibilities, to my king and my kingdom. And you are much too young for me. And . . .
:TKNC : <interrupting> Please my queen, do not go on. <falling to his knees> I love you! I am your servant! I'll do anything to be with you.
:TQS : <smiling wistfully> I do not need a servant, but a man who is my equal. Someone I can share my life with, not someone who gives in to my every whim. How can I explain this so that you'll understand? <sigh> Your "love" is like a raging river, roiling and crashing, powerful -- but always moving, changing. I want, no I need a love more like that lake over there <pointing out the window>, smooth and deep, maintaining its sense of self. True a gentle breeze will stir the surface, the ripples slowly spreading out, but not changing the depths of the emotion.
:TKNC : I can do that! I can be anything you need me to be!
:TQS : <gently> No, you can't. Not yet anyway. Maybe when you've grown, experienced more, then you'll understand, and you'll realize that it is better this way. But not now. It's not in you now to be the man I need you to be. <kisses the knight softly on the cheek and returns to the party>

sarahenglish

My Court Card Party / Please give me feedback

For some reason, I couldn't do this excercise with my universal deck. So, I used my crystal deck instead. I don't know enough about any of the court cards to make informed impressions so I would really appreciate your pointing out to me where my impressions are right and wrong.

I feel attracted to: King of Wands -
He seems self assured, comfortable with himself. Strong and deep but also copassionate and gentle.

I would like to avoid: Knight of Swords -
He has a look on his face like he is contemplating something evil or hurtful, maybe revenge of some kind. He seems to be holding the horse in such rein that it is uncomfortable. He seems very selfish and unconcerned about anyone but himself.

I feel uncomfortable with: King of Pentacles
In my deck he is sitting on a throne atop a desolate rocky mountain and looking down with a disapproving air. I feel like he is judging me harshly. Because he is older than me, I want his approval. It reminds me of being called into the hall by a teacher when I was in grade school and bursting into tears because I had disappointed my teacher.

I feel gay and talkative with: The Knight of Wands.
She is beautiful and adventurous. She looks like she likes to have a good time but not at the expense of others. She is not constricted by stereotypes and wants you to succeed as well. She'll tell you all the things you need to know and looks like she has a good sense of humor.

I feel a secrecy and a solitude with: The Queen of Cups.
She seems to hold the secrets to beauty, gentleness, and peace. She seems like the kind of person that you could share a comfortable silence with. She would understand if you declined an invitation that it had nothing to do with her, but everything to do with your need for solitude and she would be glad for you that you were taking care of yourself. She can keep a secret and not be judgemental.

These seem aloof or rude:
King of Pentacles
Queen of Pentacles
Knight of Swords
All of the Knaves

I feel welcomed and warmed by:
King of Wands
King of Swords
King of Cups
Queen of Wands
Queen of Swords
Queen of Cups
Knight of Wands
Kinght of Cups
Knight of Pentacles

sarahenglish

My Court Card Conversation / Please give me feedback

King of Wands
Queen of Cups

Assumption is that they are married with teenage children (Knight of Wands (girl, 16) and Knight of Pentacles (boy, 15)

Q: You seem deep in thought, what's on your mind?

K: Just wondering if I did the right thing when I forbid Pen from riding his horse in the forests. I hope I wasn't too harsh with him. Even though he needs to get more serious with his studies and court matters, I do understand that he needs time to be a boy as well. He just seems to be spending too much time riding around daydreaming. He needs more balance in his life. I wish he were more like his sister in some ways.

Q: Don't judge yourself too harshly. He knows that you love him and that you are acting in his best interest. Perhaps you could consider giving him time on his horse as a reward for his efforts in his studies. As for Wanda, you have to remember that she is a year older. As a girl, she has naturally matured a little faster. He will catch up in a few years.

K: You are probably right. I should never compare them. After all, they have different personalities and different strengths. Maybe I could give him an hour riding time for every hour he puts forth in his studies. Maybe he will learn that the one can be beneficial to the other.

Q: That's a wonderful idea. There is something else that is bothering you as well. I sense that you are concerned about his ability to lead the country if something were to happen to you. It seems rather obvious to me that becoming king isn't high on his priority list.

K: Yes, he not only lacks the interest, but I fear that he also lacks the tools he needs to rule effectively. If only Wanda were a boy. She could succeed me and he could follow his own path.

Q: Perhaps you ought to consider Wanda as your successor anyway. She is the first born and has all of the qualities of a fine ruler. I think the country would welcome us bringing the monarchy into the 20th century. We can't make ourselves obsolete by hanging on to tradition at the expense of the monarchy. Just because you have a son, doesn't mean he has to be the heir to the throne.

K: You make some very good points. I'll talk to Pen. You may be right, he may feel like being the heir to the throne is a burden he doesn't want to bear. And Wanda has already won the heart of the people with her campaigns for the poor. It just may be the right time to have a Woman on the throne.

Q: I don't envy your decision. It is certainly a difficult issue with many factors to take into consideration. But, you are the man to do it. You will figure out the best course to take, I have great faith in you.

K: I don't know what I would do with out you. Come here, I don't think you've seen my wand today! LOL

Q: Chuckles and kisses him.

Jewel

*ROFLMAO* These stories, both of them are great!!!!! This was so fun to read.

SE, the purpose of these exercises is for YOU to explore what the court cards mean to you, not to know the "text-book" definitions of them. The Kinf of Wands is definetly one of my favorites (he is my teacher card), and Wands is my favorite suit. I find it interesting how you perceived the Knight of Pentacles. I see him as a very serious type carrying the world on his shoulders, I will need to look him up in the Crystal deck that may be the difference right there. Just remember there are no "right" or "wrong" answers in these exercises, they are YOUR perceptions.

Napaisti, you hit my perceptions of these cards right on the nose. The level headed Queen that knows what she wants and needs, and the Knight that is so in love with love that he does not know quite who he is only what drives him.

Great job you guys!

What do you guys think of doing another role play scenario picking 2 of the court cards that we were uncomfortable with?

napaisti

further role-playing

I think it is a great idea to write dialogues for cards we are uncomfortable with/dislike. I already know whom I'm going to choose. Off to go write :)

napaisti

Sarah English: I liked your story. The integration of the cards as family members was great!

sarahenglish

Thanks guys! I'll try the antagonists. Cant wait!

sarahenglish

Court Card Conversation #2

Knight of Swords and Knave of Cups

KS: I can't believe I have been out on campaigns all day and here you are playing with stupid flowers. What is wrong with you!

KC: I simply cannot bother with those dirty little campaigns of yours. I am always soiling my clothes and I can't abide that helmet! It gives me terrible hat head.

KS: You sniveling little twit! I ought to pee on your flower garden. That'll give you something to smell! Or shall I bring the hounds around to fertilize the place for you?!

KC: You wouldn't dare, you filthy fiend! This is a sacred place where I come to commune with my Higher Power. To defile it would be a sacrilege!

KS: Ooooh Defiling, now I'm into that! If there was such a thing as a Higher Power, they would never commune with such a dolt as you!

KC: Oh go away you little turd and take that filthy animal with you, you're both stinking up my garden and destroying the ambiance!

KS: Ok, weasle, we'll go. I hope you like the little gift we left you, it's still warm!

KC: Good riddance to bad rubbish! I don't care if I never see you again!

KS trots off on his horse snickering.