Pips have me confused, disheartened and wanting to give up.

Sherryl

I believe there's a middle ground between tying yourself in knots trying to figure out the meaning of each card, and just tossing cards on the table and free-associating with no pre-conceived ideas. Most of us need a compass of some sort which we can acquire by closely looking at the cards in the context of the others.

For instance, line up all the swords cards in order. Look at the even cards. How does the flower, or ornament in the center feel as it gets smaller in each card? More focused like a diamond? Imprisoned? What's going on with the vertical sword alternating with the flower.

Any even batons card: stand with your arms and legs stuck out stiffly at an angle and notice how your torso feels, especially when you imagine plants growing out your sides!

Get out four cards of one number, just contemplate them, and get a feel for how the number expresses itself in four different ways.

For me, each pip card is a little vortex of energy that interacts with neighboring cards. Put the three of coins between two high-numbered batons cards, then between two low numbered cups cards and see how its energy changes.

If this method appeals to you, I have a bunch of exercises on my website to help you come to your own relationship with each card.

kevin.mason1

Can you post a link to your site please, Sherryl?

Sherryl

My website is www dot tarot-heritage dot com. There's a link in my profile.

I've gotten my wrist slapped more than once for posting a link to my website when the discussion focused on information I have on my site.

I really don't understand the rules here, since I see some fairly blatant self-promotional links.

Richard

......I'm just so confused by the whole pip thing. Help!!!

It's true that there are a plethora of different reading methods for pips. It's a real mess: too many smug self proclaimed experts. I wouldn't let myself get all worried about it. Why not just read trumps only? A lot of people do that, including professional fortune tellers. Forget the status thing about reading the pips.

When I read pips, I often use the astrological decans. That's a mortal sin according the elitist pros. So what? However, I find that I usually get enough information from trumps only. It's quick and easy but it is not at all simplistic.

junemarie

Pips have me confused .....

For me, there are two issues here.
First is that I don't believe the cards can be understood by simply learning one off meanings for each of them. A Tarot spread, whether of two or twenty cards, is just that: and each card takes meaning from, and in turn supports the meaning of, every other card on the table. Two of cups with the Tower (unexpected loss, reversal) on one side and the Knight of Swords (a solicitor) could well mean an out-of-the-blue separation followed by divorce. Two of cups supported by the Three of Cups and the Queen of same , has to be the happy couple married and expecting soon after. What else ?
You have to see the cards in an integrated, organic way. Not in isolation. A good way of doing this is to invent stories ('they met, they married, they had a baby) and choose the cards you think best illustrate what you have invented. Begin with just three cards, until you are confident.
From the above, it will be obvious that I don't use pip cards on their own for readings. If I want to do a one card reading, I use the Trumps.
In other words, the pip cards have to be read in and through their interactions with other cards in each particular spread. Yes, it sounds complicated, in fact, once you get the hang of it, it all flows beautifully.
The second point I'd like to make is, there is no standard interpretation for the pip cards, and never can be. You have to arrive at your own meanings, through your own practice. Perhaps the best thing to do is put all the books aside, and just deal a simple 3 card spread and read it, quickly and bravely, making notes. Then lay out another three cards and another and keep doing this for the rest of the day, or however long you've got. Stop trying to get it 'right'. There is no 'right'. All you need is an interpretation, a way of telling the story. Imagine that you are reading for a character in a novel or on tv.
Finally, keep lots of notes. Read the standard interpretations, but always question them. When an authority gives a meaning that works especially well for you, make a note of it; adopt it into your own practice. And cherry pick: just because you think someone has the most blinding insight about one card, doesn't mean they have any insight at all about another. Keep notes, keep a journal, keep trying. It will come.