Complete Book of Tarot Reversals

Soraya

Hi everyone,

While browsing on Amazon last night I came across a book by Mary Greer: "The Complete Book of Tatot Reversals". As I struggle with reversals even more than with the upright cards I could not resist ordering it straigt away. (Well, I did have a voucher which needed using, so I have got an excuse and I thought Mary Greer was a save bet to put your money on.)

Anyway, I just wanted to ask if any of you have got the book and how you find it.

Thanks for your input.
Soraya

Lion-O

Allthough I don't own that book myself (the only book I have is 'Learning the Tarot') I do want to urge you to share your experience with this one in the forums once you got it. I'm quite curious as to your findings and allthough Amazon publishes customer reviews its not the same as when the 'review' comes from someone participating in these forums (at least IMO).

Thanks in advance!

Scorpion

Hi, Soraya!

Oh no, not ANOTHER book to buy! I haven't got this one (yet) but I wanted to mention another one I picked up recently - Tarot Card Combinations by Dorothy Kelly. Can't claim to have done anything with it yet as I found it at the same time as I bought 78 Degrees of Wisdom, Haindl Tarot Vol 1 and Everyday Tarot. Unfortunately I don't get a lot of time for reading and have got a whole load of other Tarot stuff to pile through. I got it because the last time it appeared in Borders it was gone almost immediately and I thought it would come in useful (eventually!). It claims to show you how to "interpret combinations of major and minor arcana cards, how to read upright and reversed cards" both of which I feel I could use some help on.

One thing I've found helpful with reversals is something I first saw in Learning the Tarot by Paul Fenton-Smith (I think!) - the idea that a reversed card indicates that the querent needs to return to the lesson of the previous upright card before trying to move forward. So far it's working, but I'm also aware that I've still got a lot to learn.

So, I'll be interested to see how you get on with your new "toy"!

Aerin

I have just got this book, and even though I haven't read very much of it yet I already know it is a classic. What I really like is the way it puts forward several different way is to read reversals and also several ways to use reversals in your readings. It isn't prescriptive, and encourages you to learn and then go with a system which is right for you. So looking at the card as energy being blocked from the previous card is one method, considering it in a magical/ shamanic way is another, also health, also looking at the card without the main figure, etc etc etc. I particularly liked the idea of using an upright spread, then shuffling the cards and turning three upsidedown. You then look at the cards which have ended up reversed and consider them as the main issues in the reading you have just done.

Upright and reversed readings for each card are in there, along with all the traditional meanings as well.

So much to learn....

Aerin

Soraya

Great! Can't wait. (I'm going to have to because the book can only be dispatched in 1-2 weeks.) I am not a natural card reader and rely heavily on literature to do my interpretations so I hope that this will shed some light on reversals for me.

Umbrae

Excellent book! It is a Gotta Have (but only if you are serious about tarot).

Silence Dogood

Tell us more about the book! On another forum there is a discussion that reversed cards are invalid! Sounds intriguing!