reversals ISIS TdM

nuttyprofessor

I like to use reversals, but feel uneasy with the fact that several minors are almost perfectly symmetrical. The ISIS version has a little subscript logo on every card, but it gives me an artificial feeling of being reversed. On their website they give an example (http://www.isis-osiris.jp/english/read.html) how to read with reversals, though it shows only the major arcana.

They offer several courses, and also one to read with the minors. So I wonder how the creators of this deck deal with reversed minors themselves.

I know there is a deck that has roman numerals on the TdM pipcards, and I like to know which version that is.

I also would like to know which

Barleywine

My Fournier TdM has roman numerals on all the pip cards (but also very non-traditional colors, if that's important to you), although I've been gravitating away from using reversals with the TdM even though I use them with most other decks where the "system" doesn't discourage them. The numeric and suit associations seem to be sufficient for interpretation (or so I've been trying to convince myself :))

nuttyprofessor

A little bit foolish of me. I mean minors with only one numeral.

ihcoyc

Symmetrical cards add nuance to reversals IMO. The workaday Batons don't change much for being one side up or another. The emotional Cups are subject to a full range of ups and downs. With Swords and Coins it's more complicated, but odd cards are likelier to be reversible than evens. With Swords, the odd cards either have grips you can hold, or points aimed at you.

Lee

A little bit foolish of me. I mean minors with only one numeral.
Both Fournier TdM decks (the Fournier Marseille and the Spanish Tarot) have pips with Roman numbers at only the bottom of the card, so they easily provide visual indication of being upright or reversed.

Barleywine

Both Fournier TdM decks (the Fournier Marseille and the Spanish Tarot) have pips with Roman numbers at only the bottom of the card, so they easily provide visual indication of being upright or reversed.

This is what I was trying to say but didn't do a very good job of it.

nuttyprofessor

It's not bad to get the message twice. Thanks all.

By the way, I wished I could swap the ISIS for the Fournier with someone.

Lee

By the way, I wished I could swap the ISIS for the Fournier with someone.
The ISIS and the Fournier are both great decks (the Spanish Tarot too). I say get the Fournier and keep the ISIS! :)

Barleywine

I intend to get the Spanish Tarot too so I will have two complementary decks to use in two-deck spreads like I did yesterday for my Super Bowl prediction. The ISIS is probably a bit farther down the road. By the way, looking for subtle variations in the pips that don't have an obvious clue to reversed direction is a bit like those "What's the difference in these pictures?" newspaper cartoon puzzles. They seem to be there in almost every case, but you really have to look for some of them.

Richard

I'm trying to understand why one would want to distinguish between upright and reversed when it is impossible to determine this. If one is using a set of meanings which insist on reversals, then it seems obvious to me that these meanings are inappropriate (and indeed inapplicable) for such cards. Am I missing something?

Here is the Three of Batons from the mini Grimaud TdM.

Attachments

• 3b.jpg
    3b.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 188