Would you buy a 'Gay Tarot' book?

Tarotbear 2

Maybe a little definition is in order...?

I love input!

Truthfully, I said this all to my collaborator as a joke, but there are definate possibilites (other than selling it at IHOP) that some of you are missing...and it's called 'validation'. This is a big issue in gay communities.

By now most of your realize ( or are about to learn) that the 'bear' in tarotbear is a definition of my sexuality. Most any gay guy out there picks up on it immediately. 'Bears' are a sub-group (HATE that term!) of gay male sexuality. It was a term created about 15 years ago in retaliation for many things that are still being explored in gay life, and has spawned books such as "The Bear Book, One & Two". Bears , some feel, are a post-AIDS creation - a backlash as it were to the stereotype that all gay men are buff,suntanned, gymbunnies on acid with proxide-blonde out-of-the-bottle-hair dico queens. We are large, hairy, usually bearded gay men. We do not fit the stereotype. There are not (not until recently) images that support us. When you look at gay movies and picture books, all you see are sculpted, beautiful men that we cannot be- nor should we. The outpouring of 'Bearaphenalia' ( I can send links to 'Bear' stores) is a result of men wanting to see themselves in a positive way, working against stereotype.

so...why do we 'need' at gay tarot book?...see part 2 so I don't write too large a post.

Tarotbear 2

Definition and validation - prt 2

Why a 'gay tarot' book? What is the need?

In truth, there are only a handful of sections that would need the 'gay perspective' -- the cards that deal with relationships, and (trying NOT to giggle) the QUEENS!

It is said that the great passion that Tennessee Williams created in Streetcar (STELLA!) and other works was really about two men (Tennessee was clearly homosexual) and he changed the plots to be male/female so that the plot would be 'acceptable' to a straight audience. In Menagerie it is felt that the character Tom is really Tennessee, and his trips to 'the movies' were really Tennessee going out cruising for gay sex. [Interesting, no?]

So, what does Tennessee Williams have to do with this?

The Lovers card. Two non-aroused naked men kissing each other passionately. That image bothers str8 people. Two women doesn't seem to have the same inmpact. Believe it or not, that outdated 1950s masters & johnson crap about one man being 'active- the man role' and the other being 'passive-the woman role' is a load of shit. Gay men (and gay women, for that matter) do not relate to each other in these terms. The sexual energy of the Lovers card does not translate into gay terms by the mere adding of a letter - 's/he'. It's like saying if a woman put on a false mustache that I could have sex with her---WRONG!!
All description of relationships are defined from the male/female concept. That is were a 'gay tarot' definition comes in.

Validating the 'gay experience'. Validation of gay life and gay relationships.

The Queens...well....can't you see Christopher Lowell (TV Home decorator--making a fortune telling str8 people how to design their home spaces) as the Queen of Pentacles? We all say that we all have male and female qualities -- shouldn't someone finally say something about the 'maleness' of the Queen cards?

(PS - am not posing naked on the cover of anything other than American Bear Magazine, and they're not exactly breaking down my door for the opportunity!)

Tarotbear 2

"You're more than just a mimic when ya got a gimmick"

Rhiannon said:

As for the content: I'm not sure ... I think you could do very well calling it "Tarot Sexuality" or "Sex and the Tarot" and talk about Hetero and Gay interpretations. I would buy a book that I thought would give me more insight, and if you can compare and contrast the 2 it could definitely change the way we view some of the cards. I'm excited by this concept! :D

Rhiannon :)

But Rhianon (and talisman) - there are books about tarot and sexuality out there,(Sexual Key to the Tarot comes to mind) but they are male/female. Male/male and female/female couples/relationships don't fall into those patterns just because the same sexual organs are involved.

The gay audience out there is bigger than you think. It's called 'finding your niche', better known as 'You gotta have a Gimmick if ya want to have a chance!' (words by Stephen Sondhiem).

{besides, what do you people think I'll be working on after I leave the forum?}

MeeWah

Tarotbear2: Both as a gimmick & as a Tarot book, your idea would work!! Simply because there *is*a gay audience interested in Tarot, just as they are interested in Astrology for the same reason straight people are!
More to the point: regardless of sexual orientation, the idea of gaining insight into relationships & the self (let alone others & life in general) will *always* appeal to an audience, whether it is geared for a mass audience or targetted towards a specific group.
People tend to be attracted to a user-friendly book as opposed to studying a subject in depth (present company excepted, perhaps). The success of publications & videos of the "self-help" varieties on a myriad of subjects are a testament to the market opportunities.
Personally, I find it no different to read for a gay person than for a straight person. The pursuits of love, fulfillment & understanding are universal & cross all boundaries.
As you indicated, the available Tarot material dealing with relationships is from a hetero viewpoint. Therefore, a Tarot book geared for the gay market sounds like a golden opportunity long over-due, & a potential whose response would be well worth the effort!
& yes, I would purchase a copy for me; additional for friends.

Tarotbear 2

Can we tell whom my biggest supporter on this forum is?

8) 8)

MeeWah

Tarotbear2: You are welcome & thank you!
You have many friends here; also potential friends, too!
I have faith in you & in your talents, so I fully expect to see you published!!

Liliana

Yeah, your biggest supporter is Pollux ;) But we all luv ya, or at least all of us that matter ;)

:THP

amyel

Re: Definition and validation - prt 2

Tarotbear 2 said:

The Queens...well....can't you see Christopher Lloyd (TV Home decorator--making a fortune telling str8 people how to design their home spaces) as the Queen of Pentacles? We all say that we all have male and female qualities -- shouldn't someone finally say something about the 'maleness' of the Queen cards?

Yes! I can definitely see C.L. as the Queen of Pentacles! LOL!

Well, TB, at first, I was in agreement with the others in regards to "why a specific book?" But having several gay (male & female) friends, I also *so* understand your point about "validation". Really, when you think about it, almost any group that has felt misunderstood and maligned in society has had need for validation. The whole Women's Movement thang in the '70's comes to mind, as does "Roots" & what it did for Afro-Americans. On & on....as a hetro female, whom am *I* to talk to *you* about the need for validation. Quite simply, although I have gay friends, I cannot know the struggles gays face. I can see it. I can be angered by it. But I don't live it, and so I don't think I can truly understand.

I *would* buy a book geared towards gays, though - if it was good book, the lifestyle angle would not bother me.

P.S. Why are you leaving the forum? I've read this in other posts you made....

Tarotbear 2

Shane! Come back, Shane!

8)

I am leaving the forum to let the healing begin.

8) 8)

Besides, people like Kayne are going to get lots of emails from me while I work on the gay tarot book, seeking viewpoint! And those working towards a SACT deck are going to have to listen to me comment on what I see as strengths and pitfalls in their thinking!

8) 8) 8)

...if they ask me, of course!

kayne

TB, You couldn't have explained the reason a book directed at a gay audience would be benificial in a better way! Absolutely! And I look forward to your queries TB, I think we look at these issues from very different perspectives (afterall... I am young, blonde, slim, not hairy... :p) and these should also be reflected in your book.

Amyel: I had not thought of the women's lib struggle in the 70's like that but you are right. Imagine if their were as many tarot decks available from a gay perspective as there are decks available from a feminest perspective... what a choice!