Wondering about a tarot book

Elphaba

Has anyone ever read "Tarot as a Way of Life: A Jungian Approach to the"? If so, what did you think? Is it worth purchasing? thanks in advance,

E

Logiatrix

heh-heh...yer funny! of course it's worth purchasing, silly one! it's a BOOK!
:D
of the several books on the jung/tarot or tarot/jung subject (? :p), this one in particular strikes me as especially "interactive". i find this book unique in that she (the writer) involves the reader in plenty of personal application within a very readable analysis of the subject matter, IM(notso)HO.
other books about these two subjects combined are "jung and the tarot" by sallie nichols, and my favorite: "tarot and the journey of the hero" by hajo banzhaf.
BOOKSBOOKSBOOKS! LUV 'EM!

Elphaba

Hehe...my book spending has doubled since I got into tarot! I have to be physically restrained by my boyfriend whenever we pass a bookstore in the mall. Thanks for the mini-review. I saw the journey of the hero book the last time I was there as well...oh dear $$$!!

Kiama

He he! I have th esame problem as you guys! I once bought 16 books in one day. Yep. 16. That is how addicted I am to books.

But back to Jung and teh Tarot: I'm okay with applying his archetypes to the Tarot, but in reality, Jung only said one whole sentence about the Tarot, which basically describes a traditional deck. I think many of the 'Jung and Tarot' books available today are cashing in on the idea that Jung said alot about the Tarot. Okay, so he was an occultist and possibly used the Tarot, but we know nothing about his interpretations or opinions of teh deck! All we know is that he created the archetypes, and that we can fit them into teh Tarot rather nicely.

I am very tempted however, to buy Tarot and The Journey Of The Hero.... Damn, there goes more of my hard earned money!

Kiama

tarotbear

I have 'Jung & Tarot' by Sallie Nichols, and when the spirits move me I read about a chapter a night. But as it was stated- although Sallie is a student of Jung's, she is applying Jung's approach to symbols, not relaying pages of lectures that Jung may have delivered or something like that. Sometimes her conclusions are very interesting; sometimes I wonder what happened to the card she was describing since the discussions get convoluted.

lor

I love that book! That is the book that got me interested in learning tarot to begin with. I found it very readable and compelling, and I refer back to it often.

lor

Just for clarification: "That book" being "Tarot as a Way of Life - A Jungian Approach to the Tarot", not the "Jung and Tarot" one. Haven't read that one yet.

tarotbear

Kiama- SIXTEEN books in one day? Did they give you a quantity discount , or something?