ANCIENT EGYPTIAN STUDY GROUP - 9 Wands

rwcarter

Five workmen use wooden levers to maneuver a heavy statue of Sehkmet into place. Statues represent that which is immobile, immovable and unchanging.

Sehkmet is the goddess of war. Her name means "powerful" or "the mightiest." One of her commonest titles was Nesert, which means "flame."

In the background are a pyramid and a sphinx. The pyramid represents that which is solid, stable, supreme or long-lasting. Pyramids were built on the west bank of the Nile, which was the site of the setting sun; consequently, the statue of Sekhmet must be facing east.

The sphinx was considered to be a steadfast and powerful protector. Since the Great Sphinx of Giza is also oriented facing east, this can't be the Great Sphinx.

The lion, as suggested by the body of the sphinx and the head of Sekhmet, symbolized invincibility. Through the connection of the lion, sphinxes were thought to be the children of Sekhmet.

There's lot of imagery in the card that suggests strength, power and stability. Some unintended interpretations I get from this card are:
  • sharing a burden
  • teamwork leading to the successful completion of a task
  • strength in numbers, not in the aggressive manner of the 5 Wands, but more like a consensus or a quorum

Typing this, I noticed something interesting. The guy to the left of the statue isn't actually helping, but instead appears to be managing the others. He's pointing down towards the base of the statue as if instructing the other men what to do.

The guy to the right of the statue also brings to mind the phrase, "shouldering a burden."

Four of the nine wands are in use in this card, while the other five lay scattered on the ground. I'm not sure if it's the positioning of the wands that are in use or if it's the various statures of the men, but I think there's some significance there. Unfortunately, I have no clue what that is.

Rodney