Moon Signs and Emotions + Other meanings of the Moon

dadsnook2000

Moon and response

If you think of the Moon on a basic survival level as being environmentally responsive to heat/cold, light/dark, comfort/hurt and things at that level, then you can proceed to consider the other Moon functions. Think of a familiar (not necessarily good or bad) and an unfamiliar happening --- that brings uncertainty. Likewise anything in the environment that is altered could bring uncertainty.

With that said, we can move further afield. As a young baby or child we have familiar or expected routines in our life. Change brings uncertainty. If any frequent or common changes involve discomfort or hurt or denial then we may exhibit anger or fear, qualities of emotions linked to other causes and results that have occurred previously. This brings in the Moon linkage to memory and the past.

As we move on in life, some/many of us may embellish these basic or instinctual life perceptions and link them to heightened associations --- these are not particularly part of the Moon's dynamics but can be associated with the nervous and learned responses of the body and its remembrance of more extreme good/bad changes and results.

Minderwiz

Valens links the Moon with being, and existence. I think that fits in with your basic survival' and then development. The Moon, Ascendant and Lot of Fortune are the traditional pointers to health wellbeing and the ability to cope with what 'fate' or in modern terms, the environment brings.

Sun, MC and Lot of Spirit (in the early tradition) are indicators of our Ability to act and thus prosper by influencing our environment..

Moon and Sun together say a lot about what sort of success we will make out of life. They pervade everything we do and the way that we do it (with help from the other planets)

Ronia

Valens wrote in the second century AD.

The Moon can indicate a life abroad, of wandering (though not so much in Cancer).
'

Well, seems Valens was wrong. :D Aside from my personal chart which proves exactly the opposite, I have actually observed that strong Moon means Change. Cancer Moons most of all keep moving. like the tide. In theory she likes her home and indeed she does, she takes great care of it, but then the wind changes and... another tide comes. Love for home is not equal to being rooted. The home changes. Taurus Moons are extremely powerful in my experience but more grounded. Their fluctuations (I don't know why so many authors ignore the fact that the Moon is ever changing!) are very deep and not so light-hearted. Taurus Moons are more stable in everyday dealings, including moving, yet in their instinctive responses are out of control (something in which Cancer Moons are more subtle due to the nature of Cancer). They are like water bombs. Heavy.

As I said, I have a Cancer Moon, conjunct Saturn of all planets (!) which can hardly be described as freedom loving and quick to move planet, square the Sun/Uranus conjunction which would be expected to deny their appeal from the 9 house, and I started moving when I was 2, haven't stopped yet (as it feels LOL). By "moving" I mean moving a home and a life not just moving two floors or two streets down the road. It all brings me back to the point that Sun's placement in a chart does matter a lot but also that one of the Moon's important characteristics for me is fluctuation. In everything.

Minderwiz

Well, seems Valens was wrong. :D A.

'.....not so much...' does not mean 'not at all'. Indeed your case helps to prove Valens correct.

Hellenistic Astrologers did believe that a planet in its own domicile was more likely (and I stress 'more likely', not 'will'express its natural and chart significations at home (which also includes the homeland). However, given Valens definition, there is always some wanderlust associated with the Moon.

From his point of view, your Moon is in your seventh Place or House, which it rules. He would take that as indicating you are likely to meet your partner through travel or wandering. Was he right?

Ronia

'.....not so much...' does not mean 'not at all'. Indeed your case helps to prove Valens correct.

Hellenistic Astrologers did believe that a planet in its own domicile was more likely (and I stress 'more likely', not 'will'express its natural and chart significations at home (which also includes the homeland). However, given Valens definition, there is always some wanderlust associated with the Moon.

From his point of view, your Moon is in your seventh Place or House, which it rules. He would take that as indicating you are likely to meet your partner through travel or wandering. Was he right?

Eh, Minderwiz, you didn't include the "wanderlust" in the previous post to be fair. :) From ancient astrologer's point of view, I (as all modern people) have had way more than one partner, meaning any long-term relationship and cohabitance would fall into this category, not only marriages. Having said that, he would be right in only 50% of the cases. I've met some of my partners abroad or through working for a foreign company but the other ones - no. It's not like he's right per se.

Miss Woo

I have never really understood my Aquarius Moon (I'm a Leo with Virgo Rising and Moon in Aquarius). At times I have trouble getting in touch with my emotions and I can be quite detached from them. Does this have anything to do with an Aquarius Moon?

Believe me, my emotions are there, they're just hidden.

The rest of my chart goes like this: Sun in the 12th House, Pluto and Uranus in the First House. I can come across like a Leo, Virgo, Aquarius, Pisces, Scorpio... And even a Libra! I think I'm most like a Leo/Pisces.

Minderwiz

Eh, Minderwiz, you didn't include the "wanderlust" in the previous post to be fair. :) From ancient astrologer's point of view, I (as all modern people) have had way more than one partner, meaning any long-term relationship and cohabitance would fall into this category, not only marriages. Having said that, he would be right in only 50% of the cases. I've met some of my partners abroad or through working for a foreign company but the other ones - no. It's not like he's right per se.

Mmmm....so he's partly right because some of your partners were not foreigners and you've spent much of your life at 'home'. Well he did say 'not so much in Cancer' :D

Seriously though, Valens (or any other Hellenistic Astrologer) would not claim this is a constant factor in each and every relationship but it would be something that would be noticeable at times

RichardofGlouster

Does anyone have any comment on their relationship with their parents and their natal charts? The moon is associated not only with your intuition, expression of feelings and your subconscious, but like Venus, your relationship with women. Its particularly associated with mothers (the sun with fathers.) From a moon placement we can glean information about one's childhood and their mother.

-Gloucester

Ronia

Does anyone have any comment on their relationship with their parents and their natal charts? The moon is associated not only with your intuition, expression of feelings and your subconscious, but like Venus, your relationship with women. Its particularly associated with mothers (the sun with fathers.) From a moon placement we can glean information about one's childhood and their mother.

-Gloucester

As about a comment, no I don't have one but can confirm that the Moon has a relation with the parents and especially with the mother as well as with other elder women in the family, yes. Its placement and aspects speak a lot about the querent's relationships with these people.

I would never see Venus as relationships with women.