TAROT OF THE ZIRKUS MÄGI in the Top Fifty!!

Freder

Competing Circuses

Well. For the first time I have sad news to report.

A certain megalithic Tarot publisher here in the USA is about to issue not one but TWO circus-themed tarot decks. I have this information directly from the typing fingers of the company's president.

In over a hundred years of Tarot history, to my knowledge no one ever published a circus-themed deck until I came along. Now (instead of picking my deck up for mass-market publication, which I certainly would have agreed to), the largest publisher of decks in the world is suddenly rushing out TWO similar decks...

... so they're not only hopping on the bandwagon, but trying to glut the market. I feel just exactly as if a gigantic truck has just pulled up along my driving side and is trying to force me off the road.

I do not KNOW, but I suspect that this is the same publisher getting ready to issue an ALICE IN WONDERLAND-themed deck for the express purpose of cashing in on Baba Studio's ALICE deck and frankly trying to force THEM off the road, too.

So the situation is obvious: this company is bereft of their own ideas and is "borrowing" from independent artists -- without crediting or hiring those artists, choosing instead to cheaply re-work the concepts, presumably on a work-for-hire basis so that they can control all the rights.

This is both creatively and morally bankrupt. On the one hand it does not exactly surprise me, but it does disappoint me on a very deep level, and it makes me fearful for the future of my own deck. I simply cannot compete with this company. I can't. If price points are the deciding factor in buying a deck, I will lose out to them every time.

So, please -- please, if you have any respect for independent creators, consider not buying these knock-off ALICE and circus-themed decks.

-- Doug Thornsjo, creator TAROT OF THE ZIRKUS MÄGI, http://circustarot.blogspot.com

prudence

I highly doubt the decks they are planning to put out will be even remotely as original and as well thought out/executed as your deck.

Le Fanu

Like Prudence, I also doubt it, but small consolation for one who is copied in this way.

I knew about the Alice one but didn't know about this one. My heart genuinely bleeds for you. I feel quite sick at how big business like this stamps on and steamrolls originality such as yours.

If it is the publisher I think it is (and don't send me PMs asking who it is because I shalln't reply) I will be absolutely furious because it won't be the first time they've plagarised in this way - I really take these things to heart and I felt the same way about the Alice Tarot copy. And the *coincidental* thing won't wash with me either.

They really will be eternally hated from where I'm standing. This kind of thing really, really riles me. But the sad thing is, those who do not know the whole story will buy it and think it original. It will sell more copies than yours because they have the whole marketing thing behind them, so we hope that you will feel consoled in some other way but it must be very hard.

When it's made public I shall lose no opportunity in bad-mouthing them...

Nica

Say it isn't so!

Fret not, we are to stand by you and Baba Studio. A knock off is never the same quality as the original.

I find beauty in your deck, and look forward to getting a copy for my collection.

Le Fanu

Fret not, we are to stand by you and Baba Studio. A knock off is never the same quality as the original.
I know we all think this but people forget. This kind of thing can flatten all competition. Sadly, I feel more realistic about it. Those of us here on AT championing independently created decks and creativity are in a minority. If you've got money behind you, you just sit back and wait for people who don't know any better to buy.

It makes me very sad. I really wish I could offer some consolation but I don't think I can. Of course yours is better, of course you did it first, of course we know that etc etc. I just hope that you as the creator keep being vocal about it, do your bit so that people are made aware.

stellar4

I am so, so sorry about this - 'unfair' doesnt even begin to describe what is happening, especially after all of your hard work. It might not count for much but I'll be voting with my purse and buying Zircus Magi rather than any of the copycat decks.
Besides the ethical issues, I think your deck will be far more original and better produced than either of the interlopers and much more worthy of support.
It really raises my hackles to see this sort of thing going on but unfortunately it does seem to be on the increase and becoming more blatant. I'll be watching with interest to see who this publisher is so that I can avoid their products....

prudence

I am hoping, and I feel it would be absolutely deserving of it, that your deck will be in the Top Ten best decks of 2014. That ought to get it more recognition. Whatever these upcoming decks will be, they certainly won't be getting such accolades. I can only imagine what kind of shallow, pretty pictures of pretty people kind of decks they will be putting out. It will be the usual garbage that sadly too many people will eat up, like Justin Bieber music when there are loads of talented bands/musicians in this world, it's the Biebers who are making money, hand over fist for selling garbage to those who don't yet have good taste in music.

Debra

Wait.

There are at least four prior circus-themed decks, and three prior Alice in Wonderland decks including one Lenormand.

Here's the Sideshow Tarot, with suits including Bottles and Blades. Self-published in 2010
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/sideshow/

And the Dark Carnival, self-published two years ago and got quite a bit of attention here. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/dark-carnival/

And here's the Wonderland Tarot, published by US Games in 1989, with a positive review here on AT.
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/wonderland/

And more circus: the Phantomwise Tarot from 2008, by Erin Morgenstern. It parallels her popular novel The Night Circus which I hear is being made into a movie by the same people who produced the Harry Potter series. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/phantomwise/

And Chris Paradis did the Circus and Sideshow Tarot in 2004 http://www.tarotpassages.com/circus.htm

And more Wonderland: Emi in Wonderland, by Franco Coletti (for the artist's daughter Emi), out for several years in small varying editions through Il Meneghello: https://www.etsy.com/listing/179455404/emi-in-wonderland-tarot-deck-set-by?ref=shop_home_active_3

And an Alice in Wonderland Vintage Lenormand. https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/alice-in-wonderland-vintage

gregory

Yes. There is no law against creating to a theme. Your deck is great - and so are- well, SOME - of the ones debra has listed. But tough though life is, you can't expect others not to do circus decks.

OR - to look from the other angle, maybe one could say YOU shouldn't have done after - say - Chris did (I THINK his was first...)

In fact - creators can use any theme they like. That does NOT make theirs or other ones knockoffs. There's room for everyone here. Unless they copy your artwork. Then I would stand up with you with my trusty penknife.

Thoughtful

l feel for you Freder and understand why. As gregory says unless they copy your exact work the field is open for anyone. Keep getting your deck out there, it is in my opinion a one off beautifully executed tarot. Am sure that any other decks produced will not have the same feel or look as yours. Loved your deck right from the start, it's artwork is one to be proud of, you have put a lot of originality into it and it speaks well. l have not been able to afford your deck yet, what with customs charges which are a real pain and expensive. But have been with you from the start, so keep going, people are discerning and will see that your deck is heaps better than a mass market edition :)