Klimt Tarot; Pocket Golden Edition

Le Fanu

My copy of this deck arrived today. It is a bit of a departure for Lo Scarabeo as the format is slightly different.

The cards are exactly the same size as the standard LoS mini decks, but the cardstock is thicker and glossier. Sort of "resilient-in-your-handbag" stock. I haven't seen this stock on LoS decks before; it's a bit like that Running Press Tarot Nova deck. Also it comes in a sturdy, thick cardboard two-part box - like the Quantum 2.0 or the U.S Games Golden Tarot and (I suspect; haven't received it yet) the Mucha Tarot. In your bag it would need an elastic band or hairband to keep the lid on as it isn't a very tight fit.

The cards are lovely - but then I am biased as the Klimt is one of my favourite decks - and what I love about this edition is that the cards do not have titles. It's just the image, border and card number and - for the Minors - the suit symbols. But all very discreet. The colouring doesn't feel as subtle as it does in the full size version but then that's not so easy on a deck this size. Something is bound to be lost. Yes it has the gold leaf application in pretty much the same places as the standard version. It is a lovely little deck. Like I say not exactly richly, subtlely delicately coloured like postcards of Klimt's work might seek to capture but for what it is - and I'm not a huge fan of mini decks - it's probably the nicest one of their range.

danieljuk

seeing you rave about the Klimt larger deck in past threads Le Fanu and now this pocket deck, does make me want to own it :) such an enabler!

I do like Klimt art, my parents had prints all around during my childhood and have seen that some of the cards are those prints. Now I have to decide which size to get :)

I saw on AT that Lo Scarabeo has decided to remove titles and other words from their cards, someone posted a link here to their Facebook announcement in 2013, it's a comment on this pic here. They will have less clutter on their cards based on customer feedback, perhaps they changed the card stock for that reason too?

lightpers

but the cardstock is thicker and glossier.

Glad that you opened this thread, Le Fanu, when i recieved the mini one, it seems that mine is not glossy but matte, and the coloring is not as beautiful as the standard ones.

But i still love the box, makes it simpler to go anywhere, i think the cardstock is really easily teared on the side (but maybe i just got bad copy)

seven stars

pix? =))

Bluefeet

Evil enabler! Just placed my order. })

Le Fanu

I'm surprised to see it mentioned as "matt". Mine is glossy by any definition of glossy. Ho-hum. Hereby is birthed a myth that some editions were printed glossy and some were printed matt. Deliberately.
Here goes! Phone shots on my felt-lined travelling reading box, but they'll have to do!

Attachments

• Klimt1.jpg
    Klimt1.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 954
  • Klimt2.jpg
    Klimt2.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 722

lightpers

I guess there is so many types of glossy that i misunderstood the texture style! My bad :p

daphne

I got it too. Mine is also mat. The only glossy parts are the golden parts.

I like a lot the execution and the feeling of this deck in hand, the cardstok is so handy, thick but light in the same time.

Did LoS make other mini-deck like this? Or is this the first one?

Le Fanu

I think I may have to reassess what glossy means. I thought it meant shiny?

daphne

I think I may have to reassess what glossy means. I thought it meant shiny?

Glossy is shiny for me too. These cards are not at all shiny, except the golden parts.