Trimmed Borders/Altered Decks Index

Michellehihi

Tarot of the masters

That ugly green borders always bothered my eyes :) I planned to do the same but I was hesitating for some reason. Thanks for the pics and great to hear you like the trimmed version much more. Gives me courage to do the same :)

It is true that the trimmed version is beautiful, but I really like those keywords in the borders, they help me!

rylla

It is true that the trimmed version is beautiful, but I really like those keywords in the borders, they help me!

I never read those. So I guess I can trim them...

GlitterNova

Has anyone ever edged an older deck? I have an older copy of the Morgan Greer which has got some chipping of the blue on the backs. I had the idea of edging the deck in a similarly blue-colored marker. Do you think this would be a bad idea? The cardstock is is thin and somewhat papery, and I'm afraid the edges would absorb too much ink. Also I am afraid of ruining a vintage deck! Not that the Morgan Greer is particularly rare, but still...

McFaire

Has anyone ever edged an older deck? I have an older copy of the Morgan Greer which has got some chipping of the blue on the backs. I had the idea of edging the deck in a similarly blue-colored marker. Do you think this would be a bad idea? The cardstock is is thin and somewhat papery, and I'm afraid the edges would absorb too much ink. Also I am afraid of ruining a vintage deck! Not that the Morgan Greer is particularly rare, but still...

Does the deck have a title card or extra card that you could use to try a tiny area?

If possible, try with a marker that is not too wet (brand new).

The old look of it will probably be further enhanced with some "messing up." A funky old personalized MG will probably be good fun. Embrace the imperfections!

GlitterNova

Does the deck have a title card or extra card that you could use to try a tiny area?

The old look of it will probably be further enhanced with some "messing up." A funky old personalized MG will probably be good fun. Embrace the imperfections!

Unfortunately I don't have one of the extra cards. That being said, your last point is totally right--it doesn't have to be perfect! This deck was a gift and it's been sitting on my shelf because I've been too afraid to use it even though I really like it. I think it's time to make this deck feel like 'my own'!

FLizarraga

You're asking the wrong crowd here. I've edged TWO 1st ed Bohemian Gothics, not to mention a 3rd, and trimmed a BB cats, too. And I'm neither the first one to do those things, nor the only one...

I'm actually in the process of doing exactly that to my old MG. But first I edged it with silver marker, so there is a bit of glitter after applying the blue.

I second all three recommendations. Solid advice from a pro! :thumbsup:

IHeartRescues

Glitternova Morgan Greer

I am kinda in a hurry but did you see this yet?

Mariqueen
Resident

Updated pics with the blue edging. I used a Tim Holtz distressed marker in Chipped Sapphire and it's a perfect match for the blue backing on the cards. I'm surprised, because when I first inked them last night, the blue was much darker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender 2.jpg (114.4 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender 4.jpg (111.4 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender 3.jpg (86.4 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender 11.21.55 AM.jpg (147.3 KB, 123 views)

Damn I can't get the links to work! ???
Am not a subscriber yet so maybe I can't use the attachments, but it is in Talking Tarot: Attention edgers, gilders...: 12/04/15.

GlitterNova

Welp, I bought an appropriate colored sharpie at work today and have edged one card, so no backing out now! There is a little bleed onto the front of the card but I can deal with that.

Edit: Eve of The Lover's lack of anatomical correctness was bugging me, so she now has a brand new vulva :D

Mariqueen

I posted these on tumblr, but I thought I'd share here as well. I darkened the edges of my Golden Thread Tarot with a ground espresso marker by Tim Holtz and am very happy with the result

Attachments

• tumblr_o5uc1hkZO41surcyho1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o5uc1hkZO41surcyho1_1280.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 183
  • tumblr_o5uc1hkZO41surcyho2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o5uc1hkZO41surcyho2_1280.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 170
  • tumblr_o5uc1hkZO41surcyho3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o5uc1hkZO41surcyho3_1280.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 163
  • tumblr_o5uc1hkZO41surcyho4_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o5uc1hkZO41surcyho4_1280.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 158

Michellehihi

You're asking the wrong crowd here. I've edged TWO 1st ed Bohemian Gothics, not to mention a 3rd, and trimmed a BB cats, two. And I'm neither the first one to do those things, nor the only one...

I'm actually in the process of doing exactly that to my old MG. But first I edged it with silver marker, so there is a bit of glitter after applying the blu.

I second all three recommendations. Solid advice from a pro! :thumbsup:
what Fliz???? You trimmed a Baba deck????? You are a rebel!