Chronicles of Destiny cards - Schiffler

Owl Song

My deck arrived today.

I just wanted to clarify that the Chronicles of Destiny book is not hardcover. The box the cards and book are contained in is very sturdy and is shaped like a book with ribbons inside. It is made to look like an ancient tome. The packaging is very clever and gives the deck a mythic kind of feel.

The companion book is softcover with good quality paper (silky pages) and color images. It's very well made. The print is on the fine side so there's a lot of information on each page -- one page per card. The descriptions seem very clear.

I was going to wait to open this on Christmas but it arrived unwrapped and I just couldn't resist!

I'll update in greater detail after I get to spend some time with the deck and book. I think I'm really going to enjoy this. It feels so "writerly."

Quester

This deck looks awesome!

Downdog

I just saw this deck on Amazon now and came here to see if anyone had them yet. Owl Song - how do you like the deck so far? I have them in my Amazon cart and only need a slight push...well maybe just a tap!

Amanda

So far, I like it. It does seem to be a nice mix (in terms of readability) between tarot and Lenormand. A little more exact than tarot, but not so exact as Lenormand. She has developed her own system it seems like from her knowledge of Tarot and Lenormand into something unique. Quality is good for the price, I think. The outer box is sturdy and designed to look like a book. It feels like a keepsake. The LWB is not so little, but it and the cards fit snugly inside so there is no moving around for damage. The cards have golden edges.

Here are some readings I did with them so far, and I attached some scans from the book which are on the second and third pages of my thread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=229369

jolie_amethyst

My deck arrived today.

I just wanted to clarify that the Chronicles of Destiny book is not hardcover. The box the cards and book are contained in is very sturdy and is shaped like a book with ribbons inside. It is made to look like an ancient tome. The packaging is very clever and gives the deck a mythic kind of feel.

The companion book is softcover with good quality paper (silky pages) and color images. It's very well made. The print is on the fine side so there's a lot of information on each page -- one page per card. The descriptions seem very clear.

I was going to wait to open this on Christmas but it arrived unwrapped and I just couldn't resist!

I'll update in greater detail after I get to spend some time with the deck and book. I think I'm really going to enjoy this. It feels so "writerly."

Owl Song, have you tried any writing spreads with this deck yet? I'm really coveting it, but as a writing tool rather than an oracle.

(As if I need any more "writing tools". I should be honest and call them "procrastination tools"!) :joke:

Owl Song

I am ashamed to say I haven't worked with this deck much. I got it right around the holidays and I'm still not caught up with my deck buying extravaganza backlog. :)

I did do a career related reading which was very accurate. I agree with Amanda, that Chronicles of Destiny feels like a mix of Lenormand and Tarot, although it's completely its own system. It has a direct voice, not unlike the Lenormand, but it can also be philosophical -- more like Tarot.

I need to spend a good month with this deck and hope to do that soon.

I haven't done any writing with it yet. I've actually been doing a lot of writing lately but I haven't been working with writing and cards, mostly because the words are already flowing. (For now!!)

ATLAST75

Very disappointed

I ordered it for Xmas and I was very disappointed:
I found it very expensive compared to the others and I don't think it deserves this high price.
I'm not fan of the pictures and I find the booklet not so helpful.
So I'll keep it but won't use it a lot!

I find the Energy oracle cards much more insightful and I do like the pictures and I find it much more helpful.

If you don't have it, it's not the best one.

Madrigal

So far, I like it. It does seem to be a nice mix (in terms of readability) between tarot and Lenormand. A little more exact than tarot, but not so exact as Lenormand. She has developed her own system it seems like from her knowledge of Tarot and Lenormand into something unique. Quality is good for the price, I think. The outer box is sturdy and designed to look like a book. It feels like a keepsake. The LWB is not so little, but it and the cards fit snugly inside so there is no moving around for damage. The cards have golden edges.

Here are some readings I did with them so far, and I attached some scans from the book which are on the second and third pages of my thread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=229369

Amanda, are you still finding this deck a good one? I read over your linked thread and it was pretty cool. I'm drawn to the artwork, don't totally love some of the storylines which seem a bit cliched but I find that's par for the course with a lot of Oracle decks. Still, this one looks like it might be one that can open up into different areas of intuition/inspiration.

Amanda

Amanda, are you still finding this deck a good one? I read over your linked thread and it was pretty cool. I'm drawn to the artwork, don't totally love some of the storylines which seem a bit cliched but I find that's par for the course with a lot of Oracle decks. Still, this one looks like it might be one that can open up into different areas of intuition/inspiration.

Yes, it requires more of a commitment, however. It's not an oracle that you could just pick up and start utilizing without some guidance from the book. Normally, when I buy a new tarot deck for instance, I can start reading with it right away because I'm very familiar with tarot structure... or a lot of oracles are easy to read because of their imagery. This requires just a bit more learning of the structure, because it is not exactly tarot or Lenormand, even though you may be able to spot some similarities within it. It's not enough of either one that you could just pick up the deck and know what you're doing. I have found the storylines (not the card interpretations) to be more useful in opening your mind to the insight the cards are suggesting. I need more practice yet in connecting the cards based on her directions of use.

Madrigal

Yes, it requires more of a commitment, however. It's not an oracle that you could just pick up and start utilizing without some guidance from the book. Normally, when I buy a new tarot deck for instance, I can start reading with it right away because I'm very familiar with tarot structure... or a lot of oracles are easy to read because of their imagery. This requires just a bit more learning of the structure, because it is not exactly tarot or Lenormand, even though you may be able to spot some similarities within it. It's not enough of either one that you could just pick up the deck and know what you're doing. I have found the storylines (not the card interpretations) to be more useful in opening your mind to the insight the cards are suggesting. I need more practice yet in connecting the cards based on her directions of use.

Thanks, Amanda. That's helpful. I'm encouraged by the fact that the cards *do* require some work and learning and that there is somewhat of a system that acts as a container. And the storyline is a plus for me too as I find that the Tarot decks that work best for me are those with a narrative (Hidden Realm, Shadowscapes). That she uses a similar trajectory hints at a level of complexity that could allow for more nuanced readings. I didn't know the author has a very long relationship with Tarot so that's another plus for me. I spent some time on the Chronicles of Destiny website. They've definitely got a vision with these cards.