$300 tarot deck

Cocobird55

It's interesting to see how the clarity of Place's artistic vision evolved (or maybe it's just better printing capabilities?); as a graphic artist I like the 3rd Edition backs best. Now I'm going to have to go and buy Alchemy and the Tarot, since I have both the 4th Edition Alchemical and the Sevenfold Mystery. Thanks! (I think :))

Place is re-writing and expanding Alchemy and the Tarot. You might want to wait for the new version.

https://robertmplacetarot.com/

FLizarraga

It's interesting to see how the clarity of Place's artistic vision evolved (or maybe it's just better printing capabilities?); as a graphic artist I like the 3rd Edition backs best. Now I'm going to have to go and buy Alchemy and the Tarot, since I have both the 4th Edition Alchemical and the Sevenfold Mystery. Thanks! (I think :))

I did not mention it, but those are my favorite backs as well. And I remembered that Place's newsletter announced that he was rewriting the book, but couldn't find where he said it. Thank goodness Cocobird55 found it for me, as I was feeling guilty... ;)

From the second edition on, Place was able to assume control of the project, which meant both better printing capabilities and the freedom to let his artistic vision evolve.

Place is re-writing and expanding Alchemy and the Tarot. You might want to wait for the new version.

https://robertmplacetarot.com/

Thanks for finding this for me... :p

ETA I know it was an artistic choice and he wanted his cards to look like alchemical manucripts... but it really changes the feel of the deck for me. I prefer the colorfulness of the previous ones.

I think in the end each edition has its high points. I personally prefer the 3rd, but the 4th has a "greenie Thoth" feel to it that is beginning to grow on me...

On a different note, I do no much care for the R-rated Lovers card --which I seem to remember was the original and was rejected by the publisher, so he had to whip up the one that appears in the 1st edition. I'm not a prude by any stretch and I find nudity perfectly natural, but I prefer by far the energy of the more subdued version. That said, I'm also all about choice, and I'm glad he was able to give us that choice in all subsequent editions.