Haindl Study Group - Table of Contents

Gardener

The minors do not have scenes with people in them. Instead, each suit works from one large painting, and - well, take for example the cups. There is a huge landscape, and the six of cups will show six cups on one portion of this landscape, and the eight of cups will show eight cups in a different part of the landscape. The four suits each have different landscapes, although the differences are subtle. Additionally, most minors have some sort of symbol, such as a falling feather or a leave with a bead of water, and a few have an animal as part of the background.

In my personal opinion, I actually find these minors harder to read with than traditional non-illustrated pips (such as Marseilles). However, I've been working these last few months with the Intuitive Study Group, and I think if I were to try again I'd have more success. There is a richness to these minors that isn't easily described.

Ah, now you've got me going on one of my favorite topics, semi-illustrated pips. There are a few decks like this, like Trevisan's Crystal and most of the Folchis. Not scenes, usually no people, but elements in addition to the suit symbol. I think I'll post a thread about this in Decks...

Windhorse

I've actually been wondering whether the complete paintings used for the Minors are available for viewing on the web anywhere. Does anyone know?

And did Haindl actually use the same painting for each suit? I'll have to dig out Rachel Pollack's books and check this; but that would be interesting. I don't think this is the case somehow...

Gardener: where is the intuitive readng thread? Sounds interesting....

L8R...

p

Gardener

Hey Windhorse, lovely to see someone posting to these threads. They are accreting heft slowly, over time, like pearls...

No, now that you mention it, I don't KNOW that the minor cards are based on single paintings used in multiple cards. I can't quite remember where I got that idea - I think I was looking through the deck with someone else from AT (SongDeva, Chronata?) and we said - hey look, this is a different portion of the same painting as that one! So maybe it's just that the landscape is very similar in many cards. But it's a neat idea, isn't it? I might use it for my own deck, some day...

The Intuitive Study Group is in the Reading Exchange. About once a month we gather and do readings for each other - not using book meanings. Instead, we draw on our individual intuitions. It's been quite a lively group. The most recent exchange was here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=53913

but it was in some ways atypical. You could do a search in the Reading Exchange to find earlier rounds, that had better discussions of what "intuition" is. We'll be going back to basics for our next round, in a week or so...

FraterGrant

Hello Gardener!

I just read about your intuitive readings, and they sound lovely! You say another round is starting in a week or so, and by then I should have my brand new Haindl deck!

I'd love to participate! Where will we see updates? In the reading exchange forum?

Gardener

Hey Taran, thanks for the interest in the Intuitive Study Group - either Simone or I will post a new signup for Round 8 in a week or so, in the Reading Circles subsection of the Reading Exchange Forum. We will also link to that signup thread in the currently active Round 7 thread, so people who have the current thread on their "watch" list can find it that way.

Now we should just pop on over to Mother of Cups in the North to see what Windhorse has to say...

Xara

Are there any other threads about the Haindl? I've started working with this deck this month and as is usual, I'll spend 3 or 4 months with it, until I'm either comfortable with it, or bored. So far, I'm neither :)

I'm not that up to date with I-Ching or Runes..... two other interests that the Tarot has shown me :)

But I was asking because of the minors..... but if they're not up yet, that's fine with me :)

--------------------------------
Blessings to you all.
Xara
na cuidbhle tionndaidh

Sulis

Xara said:
Are there any other threads about the Haindl? I've started working with this deck this month and as is usual, I'll spend 3 or 4 months with it, until I'm either comfortable with it, or bored. So far, I'm neither :)

I'm not that up to date with I-Ching or Runes..... two other interests that the Tarot has shown me :)

But I was asking because of the minors..... but if they're not up yet, that's fine with me :)

Blessings to you all.
Xara
na cuidbhle tionndaidh
Hi Xara,

All the cards that have been covered so far are included in this index.
Feel free to add to existing threads or begin new ones for cards not covered.
You may find this thread useful: Thinking of joining or starting a study group - guidelines

If you do begin new threads could you let me know by PM so that I can add them to this index?

Thanks,

Sulis - Tarot Study Groups Moderator

Xara

I will, thanks Sulis! :)

Blessings to you all.
Xara
na cuidbhle tionndaidh