Gilded Tarot Study Group - The Hermit

manhattan9thgate

It's funny because we were just discussing the pre-Raphaelite school of artists being perfect for a new Tarot theme on another thread.
The artist William Holman Hunt painted "The Light of the World" which is the personification of The Hermit card and conveys that very message about the Hermit as a guiding light or teacher.

Willa

manhattan9thgate said:
It's funny because we were just discussing the pre-Raphaelite school of artists being perfect for a new Tarot theme on another thread.
The artist William Holman Hunt painted "The Light of the World" which is the personification of The Hermit card and conveys that very message about the Hermit as a guiding light or teacher.

Thanks for sharing this info manhattan9gate
Willa

Disa

ana luisa said:
The Hermit´s journey is within himself. I feel sorry for him for having such a void inside...

I see what you are saying. To me, though, he has complete internal peace. I've always admired that about him.

ana luisa

Rephrasing myself here. When I said the Hermit seemed like he had a void inside I definetely did not mean he was empty!!! He has LOADS of knowledge. However, since he represents to me the image of introspection, maturity and reflection he will probably have to experience those alone. Whenever we decide to stop and make sense of the chaos we´re in, and actually "learn" what life is teaching and "hear" without using our ears, we´re bound to become a bit lonesome. Anyway, one of my favorite cards, the Gilded Hermit and the New Vision one (stepping on what seems to be the world, having a star as his lamp and giving his back to a snake - thoughts outweigh all that!).

blackadder

To me the Gilded Hermit seems to be lighting the path for others to follow. He has turned around to speak to us. Cautioning us about the narrow ledge and for us to watch our footing, or else will will fall off the path. I really love the colors on this card, not at all the typical dark Hermit cards of other decks.

MissCW

When I looked at this card it struck me that he doesn't seem to be facing one way or another, as if he's deep in thought deciding which way on the narrow road he is going to go. You can imagine him slowly turning his light to each side and then coming to a decision which part of the path to take.

starrystarrynight

This is one of my favorite Hermit cards because of what the symbolism says to me (and I think any symbolism is merely a personal interpretation regardless of what countless books tell you such-and-such should mean.)

I see this wizzened and hoary old man walking an elevated and extremely narrow path...to me the elevation talks of the level of his wisdom--which is much higher than the masses--and the narrow path depicts that there aren't many other directions he can search for his wisdom. He is now on the only path left available to him...that is how far he's come already.

He's looking over the edge and shining his light into the abyss, casting light for those "below" him, telling them, "come on, this is a viable pathway...I have already made the trek thusfar, and I'll illuminate the way for you if you wish." Still, he is all alone...

His face has an expression of concern for those beneath him, too. He's not just on this journey for himself. Still, I see him looking at where he has been and thinking about how it got him to where he is. I don't see him being too concerned to continue his journey, though...so this is a stopping point for him, one of the contemplation and meditation that we associate with this card.

I love the sky background, too. It, also carries symbolism to me. Not only does it hint (to me) about the Northern Lights phenomena (something of beauty that is but has not been really explained as yet, (though it has given a lot of people a lot to think and question about)), but I notice that a lot of the beautiful light is to his back. He has seen and gathered a lot of light (knowledge, wisdom) in his past.

What I am trying to figure out is why the loop on his sash? If you look at it, the belt is tied at the waist and is sinching in his gown; however, with the loop the way it is, the sash would not be sinching in the gown that way. So, why the loop?

I'm thinking that it may symbolize that our physical world just can't explain everything. This figure is telling us that there is a lot more than meets our "physical eye". And the Hermit is asking us to question everything psychically"...asking us to think about what things can and cannot be--and if not, why not?

He has paused on his walk to think, and I think he may be asking us to do the same right now.

Open Arms

One thing that occurs to me is that the Hermit shows us the way by doing - he has been on this journey. In some ways he says - "I have done this - can you?"

The Heirophant and others teach by instructing " Do this - do that" the Hermit teaches without words - by his example.

The light I hold is the light I have gained - you can claim your light too. It is a gift that must be earned, not just given.

Light and love to all..

PAMUYA

This is one of my favorite cards....these are my thoughts on this card:

Hermit

A wise old man turns back to help light the narrow pathway. What is it that you find yourself seeking such solitude? The Hermits holds the lantern of the spirit of virtue, faith, the light of showing life’s precious gifts. In his right hand he supports himself with the staff of stability, intellect and knowledge. His robe is grey, representing he has resolved life’s polar opposites, black (negative) and white (positive). When the Hermit appears in our life, he suggests that we need time to be alone, to withdraw, to turn inward without distractions. Sometimes this might include the guidance of a counselor or mentor, or perhaps you are the one being called to help mentor another.

This is a time for you to seek understanding, to contemplate, meditate or to observe what is going on before any further action is taken. The key words are wisdom, maturity, to spot light the major issue, solitude, detachment and observations. Give or accept wise counsel, remembering what truly matter in one’s life. To satisfy, one’s inner needs. The Hermit can also signify a spiritual call, to seek out one’s meaning in life.

This wise old man and I have taken many walks together. I will miss him in readings when Ciro’s new deck comes out, but I have have him for my own personal readings ;)

veniteangeli

He just looks so tired, so weary to me. He's leaning on his staff, and though the lantern might not be heavy, it looks like his memories certainly are. He leads through example - perhaps he looks so weary because he's thinking about mistakes he's made, and hoping people learn from them? He's gotta be thinking about SOMETHING while he's doing all his isolated introspection!