got a wonderful gift

darkbookworm13

My husband got me the HoF oracle, as a late valentine's day gift. He tried to order me a book set, but amazon messed up and then canceled the order, so he found a HoF deck and book set instead. I hadn't been sure if I should get this oracle, they intimidated me, and talked myself out of it a couple times...

He says he ordered them when I was sick, so I wouldn't remember it and it could be a surprise for me. He could talk to me about anything, but if I have a cold then my brain erases whatever topics that come up. He also did the same thing with one of my xmas gifts too...

I have been looking the cards over, and the artwork is more amazing then I thought it would be. I haven't done any readings, more just examining each card and seeing what they tell me. Haven't cracked the book yet, maybe I will eventually, but for now I am just enjoying meeting both new faces, and ones I recognize as well.

More later when I get back from town

celticnoodle

would that be the Heart of the Fairies Oracle by Wendy and Brian Froud?
I don't own it, but I have seen some of the artwork on a few cards. they are very nicely done. What a great gift from the hubby!

I do have their other fairy oracle, and they are brutally honest, I have to say. Can't wait to hear how these read for you. They may have to go on my list as well. Enjoy them! :)

darkbookworm13

yes, that's the one. No readings done yet, but they are amazing. I think you would enjoy them very much, the artwork looks almost alive, like you could touch it.

these cards don't have the same use of light as the Faeries Oracle, but they are still beautiful.

celticnoodle

Oh, I think so too. they are beautiful! I'll have to look for them--and maybe for mothers day get them. or Easter! that way I won't have to wait so long for them. ;)

let us know here how they read for you. I've always had a special fondness for the fairies and other little folk. so this is a deck that would fit well with me, I think. the one thing I do like about the Froud fairies that I own, is that they are not all glamorous fairies--in fact, they are very earthy/crunchy like. It seems like a few in this deck of yours are the same as some in the other deck--that I have. I'll have to investigate them and see. :)

tarotlaura

I don't think that you will be disappointed with them at all. Like the Faerie's Oracle they are brutally honest as well. I agree with you that the artwork is beautiful. You have such a wonderful husband. I think that you are really going to enjoy them.
:heart:Laura

BlueDragonfly

:) I'm so glad you got them! I'm sure they'll hold many insights for you!

darkbookworm13

new happenings

I have gotten the chance to take a look at my new deck, but have had a hard time getting the cards to speak to me. So finally I broke down and read the book, hoping for more of the wisdom, humor, and magic that the FO accompanying book had.

But I felt very let down, the book feels very different, and the meanings have nothing to do with what the cards say to me, even as little as they seem to right now. Has anyone else had a hard time with this deck and the book that goes with it?

I love the artwork, and the Fae seem to complete the other Fae more, and bring you deeper into learning about them, but the book falls flat for me. I am tempted to just pretend there is no book at all and write my own companion for the deck, that way what I sense will match the cards definitions too...

*sigh*

nani

I haven't looked at the HoF deck yet, but I've read that a lot of people have felt very let down by the book, so they've tried to make up their own definitions. Maybe you could try to create some topics on the cards you have most difficulty with? I think there is a topic that has already several cards, so maybe you could try to read those as well =) ?

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=134199

a_shikhs

I didn't even know the HOF oracle existed until last week when I randomly ventured into our local tarot shop and saw this deck lying near other tarot decks. I was really shocked to see another Froud deck and grabbed the last copy immediately. :D I rushed home and did a faery reading for myself and was impressed. This deck is as chirpy and talkative like the Faeries oracle and gives very accurate readings. I tried the Three Wishes Reading spread and was overwhelmed with the reading. The artwork is gorgeous and so magical.

I tried mixing the two decks and first it was a bit of a mess but then it worked wonderfully. And the new faeries love the bag my old faeries were in and now they live happily together in their new home. :p The Faeries oracle and the HOF is like a complete perfect faery deck. Absolutely love my Faery pack! :heart:

celticnoodle

a_shikhs said:
This deck is as chirpy and talkative like the Faeries oracle and gives very accurate readings. I tried the Three Wishes Reading spread and was overwhelmed with the reading. The artwork is gorgeous and so magical.

I tried mixing the two decks and first it was a bit of a mess but then it worked wonderfully. And the new faeries love the bag my old faeries were in and now they live happily together in their new home. :p The Faeries oracle and the HOF is like a complete perfect faery deck. Absolutely love my Faery pack! :heart:
well, I am not surprised, I love the other faerie deck by Brian Froud too. very honest and true readings from them!

and, btw, welcome back, a_shikhs, I have not seen you around in awhile and it's good to see you are back again. (I did check to see that I just wasn't looking at the same threads, but you have been gone awhile!).

darkbookworm13, I am sorry you are finding the book such a let down. I still do not have this deck myself--but I am thinking about buying it.

I would tell anyone who doesn't seem to agree with the assigned meanings in a book to the pictures on the card, to go with your own gut feelings in what the meaning of the card says to you. So, give it YOUR meaning, which also may change from reading to reading, but that is the beauty of truly reading the cards, IMHO. I'm sure you'll find that your meaning is the right one when you use it.

keep us posted though as you go along. i'd like to know how you find these cards when you use them for readings.