The Wild Unknown Tarot - Daughter of Wands

Sulis

The background is dark, getting lighter towards the edges of the image... A white wand with beautiful, pink blossom on it lies diagonally across the card, it's tip pointing to the top left corner, it's base towards the bottom right.
Weaving herself around the wand in a figure 8 is a lovely, delicate looking gold and red snake. She looks as if she is on the move.

Daughters in this deck correspond with Pages in 'regular' decks and I like to think of the courts as levels of maturity rather than specifically gender related.
Pages for me correspond to the element of Air and are about new beginnings and a childlike level of maturity.
Wands correspond to the element of Fire.
So with that in mind, the Daughter of Wands is playful, energetic, a bit of a show-off, someone who likes play acting and who can be loud and quite brash.. She is creative and enthusiastic (Fire) but she is prone to boredom since fire needs to be fuelled and goes out if it's left alone.. This is a person who rushes into projects but is easily sidetracked if and when something new or more exciting comes along.
Like all Wands / Fire types, this person is goal oriented, she goes after what she wants but she is very immature so she doesn't always know what she wants. She has a temper and is prone to flare ups of temper and of creativity... She likes to take risks and will mature into the Son (Knight) who is often a bit of an adrenaline junky..
Since (to me), she is Air of Fire, I like to think of her as someone who thinks and then acts on it, she's not a procrastinator and she can be quite fearless in the way that children often are..

The blossom shows that this is also a card of new beginnings, new actions and new projects..

Attachments

• Daughter of Wands.jpg
    Daughter of Wands.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 4,096

Pixna

Thank you for your interpretation, Sulis! You brought up some interesting points.

I've read in some places that the Pages (Daughters) are the element of Earth, and that the Kings (Fathers) are the element of Air.

That, of course, would twist the interpretation of this card somewhat. I'm curious how you came to your conclusion regarding the elements (which source you follow), as I know there are various contradictory ones.

I see the Daughters (Pages) as somewhat innocent -- learning to crawl (or in this case, slither) before they walk. The white wand in the card reinforces that to me, as do the pink blossoms, which look like dogwood blossoms (around which there is much lore). Tradition says that tender vegetables and annuals should only be planted after the dogwood blooms.

With that in mind, I view this Daughter as being filled with creativity and lots of ideas, but just starting to explore them and test them out. She has the energy of a child and is a bit fidgety and snappish, but that's only because she's excited and is learning her way. She may be trying on different "skins" and personas to see which fit her best. She is beautiful (and may know it and want to flaunt it), exuberant, filled with life, and yes, as you said, Sulis, fearless. She looks eager to explore and also to be independent, but she doesn't yet have the wisdom and maturity to fulfill her dreams. That will take more time and experience. But it's this beginning, this time of not fully knowing what's ahead or what could happen with her passion and ideas, that is so thrilling for her.

Sulis

Hi Pixna,

I came up with my own correspondences for the courts and they match my own magical practice.. I think the one's you're talking about are the Golden Dawn ones.
Mine go like this:

Page - Air, beginnings, thought, communication
Knight - Fire, action, change, transformation
Queen - Water, understanding, reflection, looking inward
King - Earth, manifestation, looking outward

To add to my post above, Pages also carry messages so that goes with Daughters in this deck too.. A message about things that need to be acted upon or something that needs doing.
Pages are also gaining experience of their element so this Daughter could be a student of some sort.

Pixna

Those are lovely and very helpful elemental interpretations for the court cards, Sulis. Much appreciated!

Your additional comments about the Daughters bringing messages and also gaining experience in their element resonate with me as well. I also see the Pages (Daughters) as being students, formally or informally, and learning about their element and who they are.

Sulis

Pixna said:
She has the energy of a child and is a bit fidgety and snappish, but that's only because she's excited and is learning her way. She may be trying on different "skins" and personas to see which fit her best. She is beautiful (and may know it and want to flaunt it), exuberant, filled with life, and yes, as you said, Sulis, fearless. She looks eager to explore and also to be independent, but she doesn't yet have the wisdom and maturity to fulfill her dreams. That will take more time and experience. But it's this beginning, this time of not fully knowing what's ahead or what could happen with her passion and ideas, that is so thrilling for her.

Yes, yes and yes...
I love the part about trying on different skins - very Page / Daughter of Wands and doesn't it fit perfectly with the snake imagery?

I like to think of the Pages / Daughters as needing to get experience and learn about their elements so in this case I'd say she's learning about her own values, what makes her tick, her motivations and the things she will become passionate about - her principles, beliefs and core values..

Pixna

I find the snake imagery to be very clever, and yes, very much the essence of the Daughter of Wands. (It's funny, but every time I go to type "wands," I end up typing "wants" and have to correct it.)

Outstanding point about the Daughter of Wands learning about her own core values, Sulis. I hadn't considered that aspect, but it certainly makes sense and adds another valuable dimension to this card!

Gillyboo

Elements

Hi Pixna,

I came up with my own correspondences for the courts and they match my own magical practice.. I think the one's you're talking about are the Golden Dawn ones.
Mine go like this:

Page - Air, beginnings, thought, communication
Knight - Fire, action, change, transformation
Queen - Water, understanding, reflection, looking inward
King - Earth, manifestation, looking outward

To add to my post above, Pages also carry messages so that goes with Daughters in this deck too.. A message about things that need to be acted upon or something that needs doing.
Pages are also gaining experience of their element so this Daughter could be a student of some sort.

Sulis, thank you for sharing your correspondences. I find this insightful and helpful.

Sulis

Glad to help Gillyboo :). I think anything to make court cards that bit easier to grasp has to be a good thing :).

I was doing a reading a few days ago and this card came up. Just looking at the image, thinking of the immature energy of the daughter / page combined with the fire energy of the Wands suit made me think of someone getting very frustrated, almost like a child does when they're about to have a tantrum because there is no outlet for that frustration.. The image made me think of someone going round and round and metaphorically tying themselves in knots..
It worked, fitted with the reading and the situation...