Attention, edgers, gilders, and blingers: what are your tools of choice?

FLizarraga

Updated pics with the blue edging. I used a Tim Holtz distressed marker in Chipped Sapphire and it's a perfect match for the blue backing on the cards. I'm surprised, because when I first inked them last night, the blue was much darker.

Yes, quite, quite beautiful! That's one of my favorite Tim Holtz blues.

I have found that, like with hair dyes, inks look darker while they are drying, even the lighter-hued ones.

Mariqueen

Yes, quite, quite beautiful! That's one of my favorite Tim Holtz blues.

I have found that, like with hair dyes, inks look darker while they are drying, even the lighter-hued ones.

Thanks, it's quickly becoming one of mine too. I'm currently resisting doing the edges of my regular Morgan Greer deck I use, as well.

FLizarraga

I'm hearing this little song that says "Give in, Mariqueen, give in...." ;)

FLizarraga

And add the pics of the MG trim in general to the big Trimmed Decks thread so they can be added to the index. I'd hate for them to get get lost in the shuffle!
Trimmed Borders / Altered Decks Index

Yes, please do. While it's great to see such beautiful pix anywhere, their rightful place is in the Trimmed Borders / Altered Decks Index.

Chimera Dust

Tyldwick

I'm looking for some sage advice from the people who are more experienced at altering decks than I am.

I found a post in this thread in which jolie_amethyst talks about the idea of using a Brilliance ink pad to touch them up. I think it's a neat idea and found some Brilliance ink pads on etsy for relatively cheap, and some of them would look great with the gold (I think).

I'm just a bit concerned that the ink might stain the front and backs of the card. Does anyone have any advice about that? Especially anyone who knows what the Tyldwick feels like, materials-wise. I assume that since it's sort of glossy it can be cleaned and I'm going to test it on a similar deck but some more feedback would be nice.

Thanks to anyone who replies. I hope this is the right thread!

FLizarraga

No sage advice here, just tips from someone who has been there: :)

The Brilliance ink pads give results that are both beautiful and lasting, so they are not a bad idea for retouching gilded decks. They can be messy (all metallic inks tend to be) but the pigment takes a while to dry, so you have a chance to wipe it away. Just do the cards one by one, keep paper towels handy, and place them separately on a clean surface until they are completely dry.

Also, check and clean your fingers every time, so as not to leave metallic fingerprints all over your precious cards. Trust me, you don't want to do that, especially to a Tyldwick.... :bugeyed:

I'm looking for some sage advice from the people who are more experienced at altering decks than I am.

I found a post in this thread in which jolie_amethyst talks about the idea of using a Brilliance ink pad to touch them up. I think it's a neat idea and found some Brilliance ink pads on etsy for relatively cheap, and some of them would look great with the gold (I think).

I'm just a bit concerned that the ink might stain the front and backs of the card. Does anyone have any advice about that? Especially anyone who knows what the Tyldwick feels like, materials-wise. I assume that since it's sort of glossy it can be cleaned and I'm going to test it on a similar deck but some more feedback would be nice.

Thanks to anyone who replies. I hope this is the right thread!

Chimera Dust

^ Those are great tips, thank you so much! It's good to know I'd probably be able to wipe off the ink if it smudges, and the metallic fingerprints thing probably wouldn't have crossed my mind unless I noticed them. :bugeyed:

FLizarraga

^ Those are great tips, thank you so much! It's good to know I'd probably be able to wipe off the ink if it smudges, and the metallic fingerprints thing probably wouldn't have crossed my mind unless I noticed them. :bugeyed:

The fingertip debacle happened to me. It was not a rare or expensive deck --thank the heavens! But it was worse in a sense, because I traded the deck away without noticing, and the person who received it, and who shall remain nameless (it was MoonGypsy) was completely baffled. The poor darling was very nice about the whole thing (she is, after all, a treasure), but it was one of the most embarrassing things EVER.... :(

G6

Best Black Marker for Edging?

Hey All!

What's the best black marker for edging?

Thanks!

RiverRunsDeep

Hey All!

What's the best black marker for edging?

Thanks!

I recently blackened the edges of my Golden Universal deck with an
Avery Marks-A-Lot marker. I purchased a pack of them on Amazon,
and it worked out perfectly! The edge of the marker is angled, so it
is incredibly easy to use and nearly impossible to make a mistake with
it. I laid the cards out separately for about an hour to make sure they
were dry, and I am in love with the result. (I can't take pictures of the
deck just now to share, but I plan to do this over the next week or so).