What was your first long distance reading like?

Barleywine

45 years is impressive! I feel fortunate to be able to converse with someone as experienced as you are. I'm curious about what turned you away from Jung and why Crowley is your preferred foundation. I have a friend who only uses a Thoth deck. I'm still building my library but I have a basic working knowledge of both philosophies.

I never really turned completely away from Jung, except in my approach to astrology, which has shifted from a psychological perspective to a more traditional or classical approach. I eventually realized he was just putting labels on characteristics that may or may not actually exist, mainly for the purpose of convenience in research. I decided to no longer see it as "gospel," more as relativistic. Now I just subscribe to what Hamlet said to Horatio. Plus, I don't do much psychological profiling with tarot; I'm more after situational awareness and developmental insight than "mind stuff."

Crowley's ambition was to be both a scientist of the occult and a mystic, and I always found his "method of science, aim of religion" aphorism compelling. His was just an alternate approach to getting "under the skin" of objective reality. Oh, and I like his wit.

Beancrew49

Very true! And also the answer that I anticipated! I trust my intuition for the most part but I know that it's developing as I experiment and practice. I try to think about the Moon card whenever my ego gets noisy. I guess I was just more so wondering what fumbles people may have experienced and how they prepare themselves before a reading. There's this great thread that I've been reading that a woman wrote years ago called "The Cafe Reader" and it's about her first experiences reading in a cafe. I found this really helpful because she is detailed about not only the events (with confidentiality kept intact) but her emotions as well. She even talks about what materials she brings with her--things I certainly wouldn't think of on the first go--like tissues! I've been planning this pubic approach to draw people in that I don't know so I can exercise my intuitive muscles differently and I feel a little bit more prepared now. Do you have any tips and tricks on how to center yourself before a reading?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tissues is certainly a great idea. I also like the idea of thinking about the moon card. That sounds like a great way to quiet the mind.

I find I do the best readings on the days when I connect to Source. First thing I do when I wake up is enter into a meditation and send a ball of energy from Source, through the Galactic Core, through the Sun, down into me, and then grounded into Earth. This helps open my connection to the highest realms and for the rest of the day everything feels easier, especially Tarot. The cards just all make so much sense.

Immediately before a reading I will focus on my higher self as much as I can. I thank my ego for all it does for me, then I politely ask it to step aside. I then set the intention that I will communicate with my higher self, and only my higher self, through the Tarot cards, making sure that all energy is in alignment with the greatest good. I then tell myself that I am the greatest Tarot reader who ever lived, and that I will bring down accurate information from the higher realms in order to help myself and others as long as it is in alignment with the highest good. I then ask my question, focusing intently on my higher self as I do it. The more you practice, the more natural it feels. I generally spend less than 2 minutes doing this.

Hope that helps!

Maru

I don't remember my first remote reading as it was a very long time ago and without cards, so I wouldn't remember this aspect either, but I would bet money it was a love reading and inquiring into "How does so and so feel about me/us/the possibility of us" or "When will I meet my soul mate?"... that was 99% of the questions in that particular venue back then... :joke:

violetdaisy

I don't remember my first remote reading as it was a very long time ago and without cards, so I wouldn't remember this aspect either, but I would bet money it was a love reading and inquiring into "How does so and so feel about me/us/the possibility of us" or "When will I meet my soul mate?"... that was 99% of the questions in that particular venue back then... :joke:

What, wait? Really....(a bit of sarcasm..just a pinch of it)....It's probably at least still 85-90% of what people want to know....:angel:

It's all right though. Inevitably it helps people actually find out what they want and expect from a relationship (asking those questions).

SaskMick

I have never read cards in my life, but having had my cards read about 20 times by the same person I feel I know quite a bit about it.... When I moved to another country I used to give my tarot reader numbers over the phone, he would then send me a cassette tape in the mail.. The results were exactly the same as if I was sitting in front of him, 100 %accuracy each and every time..

I'm now going to learn myself, if I can read the cards half as well as he could I will be well pleased.