Reading for yourself-Intuitive vs What I Want to Hear

Grizabella

My version of intuitive reading is to first consider the rote meaning of the cards and look at how the cards interact together and then I use my intuition. (I call it "intuition" for lack of a better word)

Referring back to what someone asked when she wondered if she could be pregnant, let's suppose that a woman asked me that and my Bonefire Queen of Pentacles appeared. On that card, there's a woman serving up some sort of pie with rabbit ears sticking out of it. Many years ago when pregnancy tests hadn't been developed, they'd inject some of a woman's urine into a rabbit and then if she was pregnant, the poor rabbit would die. If she wan't pregnant, then the bunny lived. Since people were prudish back then, they thought saying "pregnant" was rude, so they'd just say the rabbit died when telling somebody they were pregnant. A woman would often make a candle-lit intimate dinner the day the results came in and then break the news to her husband before telling anyone else.

The Queen of Pentacles has always been "Earth Mama" to me. Very down-to-earth, making ends meet very wisely, gardening, cookie baking type woman. So for the rabbit ears sticking out of a pie, to me this would indicate a pregnancy. Not in every case, mind you, but if the question came up as to whether someone was pregnant.

I came back to add that all of these things when reading the cards hopefully answer the question about when and how I personally read and how intuition figures in. It takes much longer to describe it than to actually do it. This will usually all transpire in just a few minutes, if not just seconds, when I see the cards that have come out in a reading.

I don't strictly read intuitively because my method didn't develop well that way, so knowing the traditional card meanings and the intention of the deck creator if there's a book, will also play a part first of all, and then within that framework, and mindful of the sitter's questions, I get the message. I usually don't read for myself.

Farzon

If you always get the answer you want, then most probably you're just looking for confirmation when you have in fact already made up your mind.

There's one way out of this but it's very counter-intuitive: when you've done your reading, try to reinterpret the cards with a completely different tone. That's a very good exercise to broaden your understanding of the cards in general, I think. Reading or not, you'll still need to decide what to do for yourself anyway... this way, you'll have at least two options to choose from.

And reading for myself, I often found myself not following the card's advice but my personal desires and whims. It always turned out to be wrong. I think that's because the cards don't command us, they just show us what we already know. Even the things we don't want to know. Facing this is the hardest thing about self-development or even life in general.

CharlotteK

There's one way out of this but it's very counter-intuitive: when you've done your reading, try to reinterpret the cards with a completely different tone. That's a very good exercise to broaden your understanding of the cards in general, I think. Reading or not, you'll still need to decide what to do for yourself anyway... this way, you'll have at least two options to choose from.

This is really excellent advice and is something I routinely do now when I read for myself, which is 90% of the time. I will go back over the cards at least once, and sometimes a couple of times, and see what other interpretations I could draw from the cards, and try and balance any overly 'sunny day' readings with more tempered readings, so that at the end of it, I've got a spectrum of possibilities from it. This is more a matter of tone and scale than coming up with fundamentally different 'stories'. But it is a good discipline for challenging the 'wish-fulfilment' risk in self-reading.

Barleywine

If you always get the answer you want, then most probably you're just looking for confirmation when you have in fact already made up your mind.

And reading for myself, I often found myself not following the card's advice but my personal desires and whims. It always turned out to be wrong. I think that's because the cards don't command us, they just show us what we already know. Even the things we don't want to know. Facing this is the hardest thing about self-development or even life in general.

Another thing I've occasionally done is rebuild the same spread with a different deck that has a sharply different tone, just to see what other kinds of insight I can find in it. Sometimes the same cards with an alternative visual presentation can open your eyes. This also gets me using decks I very seldom touch.