Warning: EBAY SCAM

G6

Hey All!

Just wanted to warn you about an eBay scam. Seems those nefarious interweb characters have figured out a good one. Here's the scam: if you have tried to get an item on eBay and were unsuccessful the criminals will send you a very official looking email from eBay that you have a second chance to purchase the item. If you click on the link through your email you will be routed to an identical fake ebay website to purchase the item. You will receive back an identical looking eBay confirmation email that you purchased the item through eBay. It is all a fake scam. They just stole your money.

Long story short, do not click through any email messages supposedly from eBay. No matter how legit they look and they look identical, trust me. Go to eBay's website on your own to track down the item and purchase.

Hope this helps some of you! ✌🏻😊

Astraea

Thank you so much for this warning!!

gregory

If I ever get a second chance offer, I always log into my ebay and check my messages. If the message is there, it's for real (and also, as long as you aren't mad enough to delete it, you can complain to ebay if it goes pearshaped and they will follow up on it, because it IS then official under their terms.)

G6

If I ever get a second chance offer, I always log into my ebay and check my messages. If the message is there, it's for real (and also, as long as you aren't mad enough to delete it, you can complain to ebay if it goes pearshaped and they will follow up on it, because it IS then official under their terms.)

Basically eBay has you send the email (from your personal account) to their fraud department, BUT there official position is that they are not responsible because the email was not generated from them even though it appears as if it was including logos and money back guarantee stamp and the item in question was on their official website.

So, again, disregard all eBay emails sent to your personal email account. Go to your messages in your eBay account to see if the same one is there or not. If it is in your eBay account messages it's for real. If it is only in your personal email account it is a fake/scam.

Adriana

Never click on any links in emails from those places even if it's a legit email. Just open the eBay in it's own browser window and check in there.. so many sneaky people out there. Have seen some that resembles amazon and PayPal too.. they make the email and site look totally similar..

Metafizzypop

I get BS emails from people claiming to be Paypal all the time. Bu somehow I always know it's a fake. There's always something that doesn't look exactly right.

I haven't seen any of these fake emails from eBay, so I'm kind of curious. Maybe the eBay fakers are better than the Paypal fakers.

gregory

Never click on any links in emails from those places even if it's a legit email. Just open the eBay in it's own browser window and check in there.. so many sneaky people out there. Have seen some that resembles amazon and PayPal too.. they make the email and site look totally similar..
Exactly. I also forward the things to ebay or paypal.

gregory

Basically eBay has you send the email (from your personal account) to their fraud department, BUT there official position is that they are not responsible because the email was not generated from them even though it appears as if it was including logos and money back guarantee stamp and the item in question was on their official website.

So, again, disregard all eBay emails sent to your personal email account. Go to your messages in your eBay account to see if the same one is there or not. If it is in your eBay account messages it's for real. If it is only in your personal email account it is a fake/scam.
That's what I said. Forget the email; if it's in your ebay MESSAGES on the site, it's for real; if not, it isn't.

G6

Im wondering now though if the seller on eBay is really the crook or the online thieves just piggyback off of a legit sale? I don't really know how they could fake the transaction through the same seller though. Any ideas?

ana luisa

Thank you so much for warning us !! :thumbsup: I was wondering if ebay knows anything about this scam going on ?