Fey vs. RW- Set #1 study

lunalafey

I have put up images of set #1 from my Universal deck.

here is a link to the #1 Fey set

In this thread we will compare the images to RW images of tarot.
- how does the Fey image reflect the image of the typical RW decks- If they don't, then what Fey symbols bring forth the meaning of the RW image.

We will also compare the Fey themselves- how does this group of cards compare to each-other?
What things do they have in common, what seems out of place?

Here are the RW images for set 'one'

Attachments

• rwsds1.jpg
    rwsds1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 165

dadsnook2000

Looking at the Aces

The Waite-Smith tarot deck utilizes a hand emerging from a cloud and holding the suite significator. A low background is shown in each card. At a quick glance they all appear to be much the same except for what is held in the hand. There are differances:

** Ace/Swords has a dark grey cloud -- stormy indication.
** Ace/Pentacles has a light grey cloud -- closer to a sunny situation might be suggested.
** Ace/Cups and Ace/Wands have medium grey clouds.

** Three of the Aces have "yods" falling indicating the spirit coming to earth, while the Ace/Pentacles has no yods.
** The Ace/Wands and Ace/Pentacles have growing, pleasant landscapes; the first wild and open, the the second closed in but with a gate leading to mountains. Ace/Cups has a pond with growing water lillys while the Ace/Swords has a rough barren landscape.

** Three of the Aces have growing/falling stuff; Wands has leaves sprouting at all levels, Cups has four streams of water falling, Swords has two types of leaves/vines hanging from a crown. Pentacles has nothing similar.

We can now compare these four cards to the Fey Aces, each of which has a similar prime symbol.
** Ace/Wands has a tree (wand) sprouting from its back -- this Fey is "fertile" while the ground around it is not.
** Ace/Cups has two hands acting as a cup holding water which is being offered to someone who might be standing higher. This Fey is immersed within a pond.
** Ace/Swords shows a female Fey "holding" a sword suspended, the sword is glowing red as are her eyes suggesting what is within her is being brought to the sword. This sword points downward, not upward.
** Ace/Pentacles reinterprets the hand-pentacle symbols quite differently and includes "nature" through the small creatures hovering about. This is the only Fey Ace to show "life" beyond what the Fey-figure is.

SUMMARY:
The Fey Aces utilize a full figure/personality to represent the potential of the Aces. Each is a snap shot or picture of something that is just being initiated. "Newness" is one keyword that comes to mind. Almost immediate change is suggested. The Fey cannot keep growing a tree from its back -- what can possibly come next, some sort of dramatic change has to happen. The Fey offering water does so for a reason, for someone. Why, who? Willing a sword into existance or causing it to hover has to be part of an important ritual -- what is its purpose? And the painting of a mandala or pentacle-like symbol on ones hand is part of another important ritual -- we have already created stories or "feybles" to address this.

With the Waite-Smith deck I see the Aces as representing a promise to be claimed and used, potential, an offering. The Fey differ in that they each have initiated something important. This is closer to the meaning of "oneness" than potential. The Fey deck allows us to put ourselves into the scene, into the not-yet- understood events to follow. The Waite-Smith deck brings God or Spirit before us and challenges us to recognize it and accept it.

This is my view of the Aces. I'll try to get to the other cards later. Dave.

dadsnook2000

Comparing Wheel, Magician, Sun

MAGICIAN
Both decks show the magician as highly focused and in a "magical" position. There the similarity seems to end. As in the Aces, the Waite-Smith Magician is poised but not actually having yet done something. The Fey Magician has just created or acted upon something -- (Waite-Smith = potential, Fey = action started). A creature is within the light-burst, suspended, small and new -- another similar and larger creature looks on.

The Waite-Smith Magician stands among a garden, a flat table before him holding symbols of the suites and his power. This suggests that magic is part of nature, when nature is in bloom or "mature."

The Fey Magician is kneeling on a table or writing desk among his books (of knowledge), filled cup, knife, potted plant and pentacle. A baloon with glowing specks floats nearby. The Fey is inside suggesting that magic may be "built up" from skills, study, awareness and use of the world symbols.

WHEEL
Again, the Fey brings "people" into the symbolism to illustrate the meaning -- the Waite-Smith wheel seems to place an "abstract" or distant form of living creatures into the scene due to the way the figures are portrayed.

As I noted in the other thread, the Fey Wheel shows a path/roadway through a model village being set up by two women -- one older, one younger. The Waite-Smith card shows a wheel of chance, maybe it is turning, maybe not. It suggests that change may come at any time. The Fey Wheel suggests change by both the two women (older, younger) and the apparent movement through the model village by vehicles and creatures.

In both cards there is an indication that the scene of change is being watched from afar. The Waite Smith deck has figures sitting on clouds looking down at the wheel. The Fey card shows the women looking down at the miniature village activities below and between them.

SUN
In both decks the Sun shines down on all below -- the child riding the horse (Waite-Smith) and the Fey in the meadow. Natures background is vital in both pictures. A difference may lie in the very young child riding a horse -- does the Sun's power bestow control over larger things? -- while the Fey soaks up warmth among the fields grass in a passive pose. In this case, the Waite-Smith Sun shows action while the Fey Sun shows repose.

SUMMARY
After decades of using the Waite-Smith deck, the Fey is attractive due to its more realistic coloring and scenes. The Waite remains powerful through its simple colors and depictions. Change is nice.

Dave.

lunalafey

ACES

Some parralles if you can call it that....

The Aces-
looking at the imagery of suspension in the RW- we see this reflected in the Fey

Swords- for the sword is floating in the air.
With Pentacles- where the RW hand holds the coin- the Fey's hand is covered by it.
In wands- the connection of the hand holding the wand can bee seen in the emergance of a wand from the Fey it's self- that's a stretch....
Then there is the ace of cups- another stretch, the Fey "cups" her hands and holds the water within up in the air.

The differences-
In the Fey we see the whole Fey being, not just a hand.
Where the RW has the sky backgrounds and a distant landscape- with the Fey we have a close up look at just the immeadiate enviroment. In this aspect the Fey is more intimate. There is more expression on a personal level.

tarobones

Ace of Wands

Hello to all. I'm new to the Fey Tarot. I just wanted to thank you all for your sharing. I love the deck already. I find the Ace of Wands image quite engaging. The Wand emerging from the Fey's being itself.....the flash of fiery creative energy that wands are for me........well, it's a natural evolution, I think, to acknowledge via the image that these gifts of the divine emerge from within. The Ace of Wands honors that philosophy. I'm new to the Fey (1 week) and to the RWS (2 years) and I see them as "playing" wonderfully together. Peace and blessings to all...........Michael

snowy25

The Empress

Reading the posts in here I couldn't help jumping in the toppic.

RW:
The Mother like figure who sits in the mitst of nature like a queen.

- She seems to be at one with herself and a bit distand.
- It seems like she deals with nature as if it is her richness.
- The Empress likes to show her power and status and is proud of it.

The Fey Tarot:
The young womanly fey who is rich with love and shares her pet wiyh her husband.

- She seems to be warm loving and waiting for someone.
- It seems like she deals with nature as part of her home.
- On this card the Empress doesn't show her power.
She is who she is and has a tendency to care for others more then hereself.
Her castle is her home, her richness lies within.

The carts are allmost totally differend, but I see resembles.
They both share love, warmth, nature aspects.
And a slight moment that makes me think that the picture is not complete.
They share pasion.
The RWS card shows it by the red roses on the dress of the woman.
The Fey shows it by nurchuring her pet animal.
Why does this creature alsow show op in the next card?

This is my take on it.

This deck is one of my favorit.
It seems sweet and a bit childish at the first look, but when working with it it brings the message to me very clearely and honestly.
Sometimes a little to much, but that's the way tarot works best.