Crystal Study Group: Howlite

wildchilde

I have been working with this gentle white tumbled stone for about four days now. Unfortunately it is not on the healing crystals website, about the best description online can be found here.

I first started using it I believe on Thursday (or could have been Friday!) in combination with my Sodalite because I was noticing a lot of negative self-talk and feelings of anger related to stressors in my life right now, and emotions which may or may not also be related to PMSy type issues also. The first day, it calmed me right down and helped me to enjoy life in the moment and not be quick to anger or have negative chatter in my head.

Since then, I have used the Howlite on it's own, just carrying it in my pocket and also sleeping with it under my pillow. I have remained calm, and have also been able to not react with anger to stressful situations/conversations but still be able to speak my truth when needed. I especially like the calming effect it has at night...where I often toss and turn before I can sleep, I have noticed I am falling right to sleep and sleeping soundly. I am also dreaming a lot, and the dreams seem to be my subconscious working out issues that bug me. They aren't prophetic, and actually don't even make much sense, and are usually pretty funny, but they do seem to be helping me emotionally on some level. I even woke myself up this morning as I was "karate kicking" someone in the face :D LOL (luckily I was facing away from my husband! LOL) This was especially funny to us because my husband is a black belt and he also "fights" people in his sleep so he has to be very careful not to fall asleep with his hands above his head as he fears he might hit me while we sleep :)

Unlike a lot of crystals though where I don't seem to need the crystal on me to feel it working, so far with the Howlite I have actually needed to feel it in my pocket or in my hand for the most part to be able to remain calm and centered. For example, we went out earlier and I wasn't wearing anything with pockets so I slipped the howlite into my crystal bag in my purse. While we were out a conversation brought up some upsetting information and I felt myself getting angry and sort of "stewing" about this new information...I did not feel as calm without the howlite in my pocket or where I could stick my hand into the pocket and feel it there. Once I got home and got it back in my pocket I don't feel as angry about the situation. I actually feel a bit dependent on it for the moment, but hopefully that will pass once I sort out a few of my stress issues :)

Incidentally, maybe this is why when I think of this stone in my mind the emphasis is always on the "howl" (when actually it is named after someone called "How"). heheh

Padma

that's very interesting, Wild - I recently gave Howlite to a person who has severe arthritis in the hopes that it would help - it is meant to be very helpful for the condition. I am glad to hear it keeps one calm and helps one to voice things correctly, as she is currently hosting her MIL and the relationship is not good - so I hope it will help her that way too! Good to know.

I am interested in the fact that it was not as effective in your purse, as I am a great believer in the theory that they need to be next to the skin to work well :) just exploring that theory though and no firm conclusions yet...but nice to see something about that here. I guess that could be a whole 'nother thread! lol!

I will be reading your findings with great interest!

DownwardSpiral

I read this thread last night and was inspired to dig out a string of howlite chips I have. (this string is to make jewelry but I never did anything with it.) I put it in my pillowcase so I could start to pick up the vibrations and then put in my pocket this morning and took it to work with me.

It does have a very calming effect. Most of the afternoon I felt like I wanted to curl up and take a nap. LOL not good when I have to keep walking. I also noticed at the end of my route my ankles weren't hurting like they usually do. The mail was light today so I can't really say if it was the howlite or because my bag wasn't full. I may trycarrying it again on another day though and compare.

I didn't dream last night but this morning one of my friends told me he did...about me : )

He said the dream was very tropical.....palm trees and I was in CA : ) LOL and then he said the dream switched to rollercoasters. I didn't get a chance to find out what the rollercoasters were about.

wildchilde

that's very interesting, Wild - I recently gave Howlite to a person who has severe arthritis in the hopes that it would help - it is meant to be very helpful for the condition. I am glad to hear it keeps one calm and helps one to voice things correctly, as she is currently hosting her MIL and the relationship is not good - so I hope it will help her that way too! Good to know.

I hope it helps her, however, the emphasis can be on the speaking ones truth which sometimes others don't want to hear. My MIL is a great deal of my stress (she lives with us and is not a mentally/emotionally stable person) and in fact we just went on 2.5 day vacation and came back to her using her room for a chicken coop. (she has 5 or 6 chicks running loose in her room and is refusing to get rid of them!!) I don't think all the howlite in the world could have kept me from losing my temper over this little act ;) (this isn't a "crazy" or mentally ill act...she deliberately did it to anger us and cause a fight so she can be the "victim" to other people when she can tell them all about how horrible we are being making the lonely old lady get rid of her "pets") So I guess you can tell your friend if she isn't counting chickens in her guest room things are still good :) LOL

DownwardSpiral said:
It does have a very calming effect. Most of the afternoon I felt like I wanted to curl up and take a nap. LOL not good when I have to keep walking. I also noticed at the end of my route my ankles weren't hurting like they usually do. The mail was light today so I can't really say if it was the howlite or because my bag wasn't full. I may try carrying it again on another day though and compare.

It doesn't make me that calm, but does make me sleepy once I put it under my pillow. I get more of a centered feeling during stress and seems to help counteract emotionalism due to PMS-type symptoms. I have noticed too that I am not as achy and my back doesn't hurt quite as bad as usual. The stone also seems to be attracting me to other white stones as I just ordered a few Magnesite's too.

DownwardSpiral said:
I didn't dream last night but this morning one of my friends told me he did...about me : )

He said the dream was very tropical.....palm trees and I was in CA : ) LOL and then he said the dream switched to rollercoasters. I didn't get a chance to find out what the rollercoasters were about.

I dreamed a lot the first several days, but it seems to be tapering off now. Or maybe I just don't remember dreaming last night(?)

Well, maybe he is picking up on the emotional roller coaster you have been on; either that or maybe somebody is going to Disneyland!!! :party:

DownwardSpiral

I felt calm (overall)and sleepy but my heart didn't feel as calm as when I had the rose quartz on me.
I don't get enough sleep so I'm usually tired during the day but as long as I'm moving I'm ok. Yesterday I just kept feeling like I wanted to curl up and sleep. If I'd of been at home I would have : )
They say we dream every night but it seems I can hardly ever remember dreaming anything.

Haha regarding Disneyland....that's what I thought of too. LOL and then I thought what if this was a sign my life is about to take a ride as he made a comment about the dream not being good. Maybe I need to ask about the rollorcoasters.

Padma

ZOMG about the chickens, WildC! If that doesn't take the cake - (or the eggs needed to make it! loL!)

You must get the chickens out - she will die from their amoniac poop ;p ugh!

Maybe slipping some Hwolite under her door at night...? Perhaps it will make her calmer :)

@DownwardS - I too thought of Disneyland/emotional rollercoasters when I saw your post!

wildchilde

Lotus Padma said:
ZOMG about the chickens, WildC! If that doesn't take the cake - (or the eggs needed to make it! loL!)

You must get the chickens out - she will die from their amoniac poop ;p ugh!

I know I am sooo worried about the health issues. I don't know why she does things like this. Her daughter says she once kept a goat in the closet of a rental house when they were kids (no pun intended). My husband told her those chickens better be gone before he gets back, so I am praying she takes the initiative and makes it happen. Some people were here today and I think she is trying to make a trade with them, but I didn't have the energy to go in and see if they are gone yet. The argument over animals is nothing new here...but the hoarding chickens in her bedroom is a new twist.

I am hanging on to my howlite for dear life until this subsides ;) LOL I do really like this stone. I definitely think it is a great stone to help with stressful situations and women's emotional issues.

DownwardSpiral

That's it I'm going to Disneyland : )

I would love to have this in a tumbled stone or even a palmstone as I find it very soothing. I actually like the look of this stone. I'm going to keep mine out and start using them more. I have some stretchy jewelry cord so I could make a simple bracelet to slip on.

Regarding the MIL...maybe you need to do something as crazy and/or not react which is what she wants/is expecting. LOL anyone have an iguana/ bearded dragon you could borrow? Maybe show an interest in what she's doing? A little reverse psychology can go a long way. Don't get me wrong....OMG I think you handled it pretty well.

wildchilde

I would love to have this in a tumbled stone or even a palmstone as I find it very soothing. I actually like the look of this stone. I'm going to keep mine out and start using them more. I have some stretchy jewelry cord so I could make a simple bracelet to slip on.

I definitely want more. I am looking for some chips or stones to make a necklace out of. I think putting yours on a stretchy bracelet is a great idea!!

I have not parted with mine since last week. So far this is the longest I have felt the need to work with one stone continuously. I have cycled a few others in and out, but still holding onto this one! I sleep with it under the pillow and carry it in a pocket all day, sometimes taking it out to feel its smooth, cool flesh. Mine is so cold it feels like a reptile! :)

Regarding the MIL...maybe you need to do something as crazy and/or not react which is what she wants/is expecting. LOL anyone have an iguana/ bearded dragon you could borrow? Maybe show an interest in what she's doing? A little reverse psychology can go a long way. Don't get me wrong....OMG I think you handled it pretty well.

I have thought of it all, and tried it all over the course of knowing her. I keep telling her I'll just have to get a pet snake ;) She is definitely unlike any other person I have ever known...we get along fairly well, all things considered. I just have a very difficult time adjusting my emotions around her when I get close to my moon-time. :) Right at the moment, I am trying to stay out of this issue. This is some kind of weird power struggle thing between her and her children (most specifically my husband) so I don't want to step in unless it is absolutely necessary for health/safety sake. I did have visions last night of her convincing her oldest son to build her a coop in the backyard and me going bat-shit crazy on her (we have already told her she can't keep them PERIOD) and smashing it to pieces with a sledgehammer. LOL I think that was me just letting off steam and also preparing to have to do something just as crazy to get her attention. We'll see. Right now, I'm hoping it will be straightened out by the weekend.

Meanwhile, maybe I need to go find a strand of howlite and wear it around my neck like garlic to ward her off!!! LOL

DownwardSpiral

Ya know...I had garlic enter my head as well. LOL

I got my strand over a year...possibly two ago I'm thinking at Michaels.

Maybe you could team up your howlite with something like clear quartz to amplify its effect or another crystal to either detach from the situation and/or balance your emotions so this doesn't have such a bad effect on you. Possibly something to absorb all the negative vibes flying around. Just some thoughts. Your MIL is lucky the chickens aren't the only thing that have to go.