Three of swords + ten of cups!?

ameliajoy

I did a Celtic cross in regards to someone I'm seeing at the moment. I've been doing the cards a lot, I'm not going to lie, and I am worried they're soaked in my anxious energy.
I keep getting the three of swords in regards to this romantic situation which obviously makes me think it's going to be over soon and he won't want to be with me. Although everything he has done up until now has been telling me the opposite..
In this spread I had the three of swords as an upcoming card.. But then the ten of cups as the outcome???
He is going away overseas for a month to see family so could the three of swords simply indicate missing him?
I cringe every time I see this card. It fills me with dread.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tarot_quest

Hi,

Yes it could be that you are going to have a good discussion before he leaves (like what is the status of your relationship) and hence you got 3 of swords.

The 10 of cups as an outcome is quite positive. I also ask too many questions to Tarot when dating a new person. When doing this, your anxiety will make you see the worst in cards. Try to enjoy what you have right now with this person. There is always a certain amount of risk involved when starting a new relationship, but if we don't try or think that everything will go wrong, you might make your fears come true.

Good luck!

elena_jaymz

Hi, just my 2 cents: maybe the 3 Swords only reflects your anxiety, that is you're afraid he'll break your heart, while the 10 Cups says instead everything's gonna be ok at the end or, since the card depicts a family, it may highlight he's going abroad just to visit his family indeed (as you said) and therefore you don't have to worry, again everything's gonna be all right (this last one about the card image is just an idea that has come to my mind now).

ameliajoy

Hi,

Yes it could be that you are going to have a good discussion before he leaves (like what is the status of your relationship) and hence you got 3 of swords.

The 10 of cups as an outcome is quite positive. I also ask too many questions to Tarot when dating a new person. When doing this, your anxiety will make you see the worst in cards. Try to enjoy what you have right now with this person. There is always a certain amount of risk involved when starting a new relationship, but if we don't try or think that everything will go wrong, you might make your fears come true.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for your response. That would make sense. I keep thinking it's like I'm cringing the entire way through this and expecting the worse so it would make sense for that to reflect in the cards I suppose. Like I'm creating my own heartbreak hence 3 of swords..

ameliajoy

Hi, just my 2 cents: maybe the 3 Swords only reflects your anxiety, that is you're afraid he'll break your heart, while the 10 Cups says instead everything's gonna be ok at the end or, since the card depicts a family, it may highlight he's going abroad just to visit his family indeed (as you said) and therefore you don't have to worry, again everything's gonna be all right (this last one about the card image is just an idea that has come to my mind now).

I think it definitely could be my anxiety. and that's a good point about 10 of cups reflecting his trip but that I don't have anything to worry about.

Thank you for your response

ana luisa

this clashing duo does seem like there must be something hard to be dealt with before peace and happiness settles in. It could be a talk about past loves, it could be what his true intentions with you are, it could be about fears you both have, etc, etc. If I were you, I would do a small spread on this card alone.

ameliajoy

this clashing duo does seem like there must be something hard to be dealt with before peace and happiness settles in. It could be a talk about past loves, it could be what his true intentions with you are, it could be about fears you both have, etc, etc. If I were you, I would do a small spread on this card alone.

Yep, turns out you were right :) A conversation ensued in regards to his intentions with me. The outcome wasn't great and was truly the 3 of swords haha.

Styx

Just in case this may help, I thought I'd give you my 2 cents about the three of swords. It's a card I kind of like because of the way I've come to see it.

I've always wondered why there is a card about heartache in the suit of swords. To me, the pain of the three of swords is a necessary, cleansing pain (nothing like the insidious boredom of the 4/cups or half-mourning of 5/cups). I'm not a romantic at heart and find the feelings that come with love complex and deeply unsettling. There is a form of discomfort at suddenly becoming so dependent on someone (though I try not to be!), at having that person and what they said or did invade your inner life. I have been in a wonderful relationship for two years and a half, and yet I felt like running away a hundred times in the first six months because of the mental burden (mental, not emotional, because he made me very happy, if that makes any sense). It became better in time: after some time, I found a way of adjusting my need for personal space and a deep, trustful relationship. Judith Butler says that "we're undone by each other" and that we're missing out on something if we are not!

That's what I saw with the three of swords leading to the ten of cups. You might be a bit like me, and need to go through the three of swords before you reach the ten of cups - in the same relationship.

ameliajoy

Just in case this may help, I thought I'd give you my 2 cents about the three of swords. It's a card I kind of like because of the way I've come to see it.

I've always wondered why there is a card about heartache in the suit of swords. To me, the pain of the three of swords is a necessary, cleansing pain (nothing like the insidious boredom of the 4/cups or half-mourning of 5/cups). I'm not a romantic at heart and find the feelings that come with love complex and deeply unsettling. There is a form of discomfort at suddenly becoming so dependent on someone (though I try not to be!), at having that person and what they said or did invade your inner life. I have been in a wonderful relationship for two years and a half, and yet I felt like running away a hundred times in the first six months because of the mental burden (mental, not emotional, because he made me very happy, if that makes any sense). It became better in time: after some time, I found a way of adjusting my need for personal space and a deep, trustful relationship. Judith Butler says that "we're undone by each other" and that we're missing out on something if we are not!

That's what I saw with the three of swords leading to the ten of cups. You might be a bit like me, and need to go through the three of swords before you reach the ten of cups - in the same relationship.

I relate a lot to what you said. Ever since my ex about a year ago who I ended things with because suddenly and randomly I needed freedom, I've had a hard time dating. The three of swords seems to loom over me every time I meet somebody new and start having feelings for them- you're emotionally happy but then mentally anxious and stressed because, like you said, it's so unsettling to know someone can have such a profound affect on you. It does genuinely feel horrible for me a lot of the time because I feel like I'm falling down a rabbit hole I won't be able to climb out of.

I think in this instance the three of swords indicated the heartache and the 10 of cups was showing what was the outcome at the time, almost like the cups showed emotionally charged wishes rather than concrete outcomes? But things shifted rapidly and he has a mind of his own.

Styx

I think your last idea makes a lot of sense. The two cards might represent your state of mind: if you aim for that ten of cups (with all the weight of ideals), then you will have to go through the three of swords process.
But of course, the cards don't judge, they only show you the options: if you want the peaceful joy of the ten of cups, this is the way.