Mirrors Tarot by Root - Some explicit images

rootdraws

Hello Aeclectic Tarot Community.

My name is Root, and I'm creating the Mirrors Tarot. I've been using this site for reference for the last couple of years to check out new decks. Just discovered this forum is active, and has a lot of neat information about DIY deck creation.

So, I'm glad to be here to share what I'm doing, as well as to learn from what others are doing.

Here's the artwork I have so far.

The Devil:

The Star:

The Hanged Man:

The Magician:

The High Priestess:

Temperance:

The Moon:

Starri Knytes

Love what you are doing here with the exception of The Star.
The Star card often determines whether or not I purchase a deck and the image you've shown here doesn't speak to me at all. The image in earth tones doesn't speak to the subject nor does the little Planet that reminds me more of the moon than a tiny twinkling star.

Good luck as you move forward with your project.

RavenOfSummer

Awesome! I love how all the images are so easy to relate to.

uraszz

Hello Aeclectic Tarot Community.

My name is Root, and I'm creating the Mirrors Tarot. I've been using this site for reference for the last couple of years to check out new decks. Just discovered this forum is active, and has a lot of neat information about DIY deck creation.

So, I'm glad to be here to share what I'm doing, as well as to learn from what others are doing.

Here's the artwork I have so far.

The Devil:

The Star:

The Hanged Man:

The Magician:

The High Priestess:

Temperance:

The Moon:

I really love your style!

As a personal preference I don't enjoy modern day depictions too much (the Moon card with a woman taking a selfie) but I do understand your vision and what you are trying to accomplish with the paintings so it's not a biggie. The selfie reminded me of the Fountain Tarot's Page of Swords. The model for the Page of Swords took a picture of himself with his phone infront of a mirror and Jonathan Saiz replaced the phone with a sword

I may think I understand your vision but I'd really like to hear it from you. What are you trying to accomplish with this deck? Do you have a specific audience? Are you using the RWS or another system as a reference or are you going all out and doing your own thing?

Nevertheless the images are beautiful and I'm excited to see how you'll develop your deck. Keep it up!

Sincerely

-uraszz

rootdraws

Response: @RavenOfSummer

I thought the images were relatable as well. The interesting thing about the project is that each model was given total creative freedom with how they wanted to express the Archetypes. One might think that this would open up a huge variety of individual expression -- and in a sense, it does.

However, the cohesion of this deck is an article of faith.

The idea is that inside of each of us, we have all of these different psychic forces to contend with. The Archetypes of each of the Major and Minor Arcana come through us, and we somehow relate to that collective force.

That's the whole premise of the Fool's Journey, right?

We all can relate to what it feels like to undergo that journey, even though each of the individual expressions are unique.

rootdraws

@uraszz

What are you trying to accomplish with this deck? Do you have a specific audience? Are you using the RWS or another system as a reference or are you going all out and doing your own thing?

Thanks for the Love Uraszz.

That's pretty gracious of you that you understand the vision of the deck. It is critical to me that each of the models be given full creative freedom to express the archetype. When I got the reference photo from Selena, I did my best to interpret the camera as a component of the image.

Obviously, there is a Mirror, and she is taking a photograph of herself with the camera.

When looking at that through the context of the Moon, there are all kinds of small suggestions and connections to be made.

The reflection of the light on the glass is the reflection of the moon. The Illusion of the card is expressed through the framed perception of a beauty shot. The face is hidden, like the phases of the moon, yet there is still this pull of seduction.

She gave it her best effort, and I tried to make that come through in the artwork. Mission accomplished.

.:.

Jonathan Saiz seems like a nice guy. I also love his paintings on wood. Those things are beautiful. I think that's cool that you use the Fountain Deck, or that you are familiar with it.

The details on the vision:

Basically, William Blake said that all Deities exist within the Human Breast, and I've found that to be the case in my own life. As seekers, I think we tend to look through a lot of different religious traditions. I know that the Tarot has a long tradition of that -- Pretty sure that its even in the name of this site.

Aeclectic -- seems like eclectic spirituality.

When I think about Eclectic Spirituality, I actually think about a paradox of Anarchism vs. Collectivism.

Anarchism, because of the subjective experience -- as in the case of mysticism and gnostic insight. And Collectivism being the undercurrent of Myth that moves through our lives.

We can all relate to the Major Arcana. I don't have to jump off a cliff to know what it feels like to be the Fool -- but I feel it, and I know when I've felt it in my own life.

The point is to be conscious of that connection and strengthen the relationship of each person to those archetypes. In my opinion, the best way to do that is to embody them for a moment -- just to understand what they are all about.

To be honest, I think we embody the Archetypes constantly -- we're just not always aware of their presence in our lives.

So my whole game with the Mirrors Tarot is to push awareness of the relationship that each person has with their own sub-conscious forces.

The most radical component of my deck is that I've included a contest with the launch of the Kickstarter campaign.

I'll actually invite everyone in this forum to participate.

The contest is called #ModelAMajor.

The idea is that each person who participates does the same thing that my models did for these cards.

Each person picks an Archetype to represent, and then does their best to capture that in a reference photo.

Then, I paint your portrait.

If my campaign gets funded, that winner will get their own custom deck as well.

The contest is from April 1st to April 22nd -- same as the campaign.

I'll post the details here when I'm done sewing together the final components of the Kickstarter Campaign.

Even if the campaign isn't funded, I'm still going to honor the portrait painting. I think it's important that people realize that connection between themselves and the symbols / iconography of the Tarot.

Long answer.

:0

Take care.

rootdraws

@Starri Knytes

Well Starri, I should expect as much from you.

You'll have to join in on the #ModelAMajor contest and show me what your Star looks like.

Starri Knytes

Well Starri, I should expect as much from you.

You'll have to join in on the #ModelAMajor contest and show me what your Star looks like.
I'm very sure it would Van Gogh-esque, 😛 though I did see a Fool card recently with a rainbow of stars on it that I liked very much.

rootdraws

Alright, well Starri, I would invite you to #ModelAMajor.

I'm doing a contest for this deck, where I'm inviting people to model their own cards, and post photos with the #ModelAMajor hashtag.

If there are only a few of you who want to participate in this forum, I'd welcome you to join in one of the tribes that is participating in the contest.

There is a list of the participating tribes on the link below, as well as instructions for joining the contest.

You can also support the deck if you decide to do so:
http://kck.st/2nV1YVR

Starri Knytes

Interesting!!
Thank you sweetie 💜