a specific yemaya. HELP :(

Dark Victory '39

im trying to help my sweet elderly neighbor find, (what he swears exists) an oracle deck that has a specific image of yemaya the goddess/ orisha: here we go, and i'm sorry it's not much to go on, but it's yemaya wearing a veil that makes her look faceless. He says no facial features can be seen. And she's in a very full skirt, which he believes is light aqua or blue. He describes it as looking like a holy card, but says its a full oracle set. Now i'm intrigued, as i've been googling a whole lot of yemayas. And now i need a beer.

Any ideas of where or what our mysterious, almost communion-like yemaya is a part of, would make me, and him soooooo...happy.

Ideas?

Laura Borealis

I know she is depicted like that sometimes, with a beaded veil that covers her face. And her colors are white and blue. I don't know about that specific oracle deck, sorry.

There's this thread that might help, but might not. http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=124142

When you're searching, remember also that she is known by several different names - Yemaya, Yemanja, Imanje, and others. Good luck...

Dark Victory '39

The other names is a good tip L.B.! yeah, the lukumi and tarot of the orishas were the only two i could think of. I'm still having a hard time ferreting out why he thinks its an actual oracle deck vs. just individual orisha cards. Good work, you. Thanks for pitching in. (And we will keep our fingertips going). the pininterests of orishas is really a whole new world for me.

Dark Victory '39

no, the only thing he's absolutely clear about is the veil and that its done in a way so that you cant see any of yemaya/ yemanje's facial features. He even thinks she's so demurely dressed that perhaps none of her skin or skin-color is shown. Most of the yemaya's online we've been looking at he says are v. racy. His yemaya apparently would not be associated w/ those trashy yemayas. lol.

He also thinks that yemaya's holding her little hand mirror.

Dark Victory '39

Hal, (my yemaya-questing neighbor) says that yes those features of handmirror and full gown in your pix L.B. are like his imagined yemaya card. He thinks 'his' image is hand drawn and done in watercolor perhaps. He also thinks that the veil that occludes her face isn't necessarily made of crystal beads but rather some sort of fabric; but that it is like in your link, a short face framing veil.

I had been assuming this whole time he had initially seen his yemaya while randomly surfing the web, and he tells me last night that he saw 'her' while looking over my shoulder one day while i was wasting time in his kitchen surfing tarot/oracle blogs. I almost shook that little old man till his teeth fell out. 'Hal, why on earth didn't you tell me then?' (Apparently he thought it might be rude.) So instead he sits on it for six months till this wknd suddenly when its time to bring in the goddess of the sea.

I have no idea what blog he's talking about. There are very few i routinely follow. He said there were also actual 'fancy' playing cards on it so someone who reviews various forms of cartomancy i guess. He says it is absolutely not a tarot card because there was no writing or numerals on it. The plot thickens.

Emily

It's a pity he didn't say something at the time, maybe the websites would have still been in your history. Have you checked your history or saved pages just to make sure?

Dark Victory '39

Thanks Emily and Bodhiseed! I know. It is sad sad sad he didn't speak up. We didn't know each other very well then, and he thought it was tacky to admit he was looking over my shoulder. ( But it was probably equally tacky that as a new acquaintance i was goofing around on the internet in his kitchen.) I try to not be 'rude cell phone girl' or 'obsessive in-public attached to my 'device' girl.

It's been too long to retrace. We looked at your picture bodhi. Hal says it's nice but not his girl. The only other potential 'clue' is that he thinks he saw ana cortez alchemy edition playing card oracles on this person's blog; but i've been digging thru ana's blog and i don't think it's her. But it could be someone else who is linked to her. That we got this new tidbit is somewhat of a miracle, only b.c. I had my alchemy edition of the cortez cards in my bag and he saw them and recognized them and jumped out of his seat.