Decks You Wish You Hadn't Bought?

vie

Thelema, it's just too greeny and unless I have an overhead light on the cards look blurry to me and there are 3 or 4 cards that I don't get.

Wizard tarot, the description and reviews I read online made it sound more fun than I found it and the card stock is really thin.

Green Witch, just not gelled with it and the cards are like warped and curved yet I've barely used it, wish I'd have waited for the Everyday Witch instead.

i can't say Shadowscapes as although I find it difficult to read with, it is very pretty and the impulse buy in the bookstore piqued my interest in tarot after a long hiatus so for that I very grateful.

MystiKay

The Tarot of the Vampyres. I really really REALLY wanted to like this deck very much. I loved the artwork, but I keep looking at the pictures on certain cards and wonder why the heck they were choosen for that card. I have a very short list of decks I want on my phone that I keep with me. I am sorry I didn't go with some of the other decks that were on that list. I guess It just isn't my vampire deck.

I am actually kind of upset about it.

Julian Jaymes

Wish I hadn't bought several...

- Sorcerer's Tarot - this one is impossible for me to see as a tarot deck...I'd have to use it as some kind of nameless oracle. :/
- Epic Tarot - This one *might* work, but it's so weird. I LOVE the artwork but I can't see myself actually reading it.
- Lord of the Rings Tarot - It's nice if you're an LotR junkie (as I was as a teenager), but I don't like the art or the card layout, and I find it hard to read.

silvereye

The Golden Tarot by Kat Black, didn't appreciate the lack of facial expression on the characters faces at all, finding it difficult to connect

barefootlife

I'm still waffling on the Deviant Moon - the images are unsettling on purpose, of course, but it seems like almost all the cards tend toward their reversed meanings instead of the upright ones. It doesn't quite jive with me, but I feel like I should have a deck that doesn't jive with my regular reading style. I have his Marseilles as well, and I'm not sure how I feel about that one either.

The Tarot Mundi Nox et Lux isn't one I regret, per se, but I find it very difficult to read with. It's just Thothy enough to throw me while being interesting and different enough that I'm still intrigued.

Oh, and I traded away my Linestrider and Mary-el after deciding I just...couldn't. Good decks deserve good cardstock.

page of ghosts

There are some I'm unsure of, but so far there is only one I really feel like was not that good a decision: borderless Deviant Moon. I like the art and I feel it calling out for me but the cards are too tall for me to shuffle it comfortably so I don't use it that much. I've been thinking I would probably be better off with trimming off the borders on the regular edition :(

Feel like I gotta apologize to my Deviant Moon - it seems over time my hands have gotten more used to shuffling in general and now I'm actually able to riffle it quite well. Deviant Moon, you're back in my no-regrets pile :heart:

ldiddy

The Tarot of the Vampyres. I really really REALLY wanted to like this deck very much. I loved the artwork, but I keep looking at the pictures on certain cards and wonder why the heck they were choosen for that card. I have a very short list of decks I want on my phone that I keep with me. I am sorry I didn't go with some of the other decks that were on that list. I guess It just isn't my vampire deck.

I'm with you a little here except that the book is so good that even if I can't use the deck, I appreciate it as part of the package.

For me, deck regret would be vintage University RWS. Ugh, it thing is ugly and unnecessary both.... double oops.

EmpyreanKnight

I'm with you a little here except that the book is so good that even if I can't use the deck, I appreciate it as part of the package.

I agree. The Phantasmagoria is one of the most outstanding companion books I've ever read, definitely in my top 5.

As for the Tarot of Vampyres, the body proportions in two important cards were quite off that they're a bit distracting. The other images were magnificent and I really have no issue with them. I hope they did better with the printing tho - the cards would have been fantastic if they made the colors more vivid and ebullient. I'm quite sure the problem is not in the original artwork. I never regretted buying it tho.

FLizarraga

It took me some time to love this deck, for the very reason you mention. Two outstanding examples are the 6 of Grails and the 10 of Skulls. You look at them, and you go --dafuk?

I do agree with EK that the book is amazing, and while my readings with the deck are still very dependent on the book, I find that they resonate very richly. And I just love the art, warts and all. So sensuous.

Now, I still think that every deck bought teaches me something, and in that sense I don't regret them. But sometimes... The Giger/Baphomet I found just too spooky to even look at the cards for long, and I am not so easy to spook.

For instance, I can tell you that human bones are great for painting graffiti. I have done it, in my crazy youth. Human bones feel just like empty leftovers. The Baphomet, however (painted pieces of cardstock) feels full. Of what, I cannot say. Nothing good. I never read with mine, and I got rid of it as soon as I could. I didn't want it around.

spud

Yoyager tarot, good tarot (what was I thinking with that one), old English tarot, English magic tarot..those are the ones that instantly come to mind although I'm sure there are many more but they were passed along so quickly I cannot remember.