The "Story Of My Life" Spread

frac_ture

Each of us is the main character in her or his own story. Each of us has a tale to tell. Each of us IS a tale to tell. But sometimes we're too close to the action, and too emotionally involved in it, to see it for what it really is.

Here, then, is a spread aimed at helping you to step back and better understand the book of your life: What's YOUR story?

Layout: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 (see accompanying image)

1 = FRONT COVER. What do people notice about me first?
2 = SPINE. What gives my life form and structure?
3 = TABLE OF CONTENTS. How can I stay organized?
4 = MAIN STORY. What is my life really all about?
5 = BACK COVER. What protects me from harm?

Please note: I designed this spread specifically for use in a monthly photo-challenge on Instagram that's all about Tarot people creating their own new, original spreads. It happens on the final Saturday of each month, and runs under the hashtag #newspreadsaturday. I co-host it there under the username arrow.in.flight -- if you're on Instagram, please feel invited to surf the spreads by using that hashtag, and to join in with your own original spread creations!

Attachments

• IMG_5263.jpg
    IMG_5263.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 292

Catrenna

Thanks for the spread. I found out some interesting things.

Barleywine

Each of us is the main character in her or his own story. Each of us has a tale to tell. Each of us IS a tale to tell. But sometimes we're too close to the action, and too emotionally involved in it, to see it for what it really is.

Here, then, is a spread aimed at helping you to step back and better understand the book of your life: What's YOUR story?

1 = FRONT COVER. What do people notice about me first?
2 = SPINE. What gives my life form and structure?
3 = TABLE OF CONTENTS. How can I stay organized?
4 = MAIN STORY. What is my life really all about?
5 = BACK COVER. What protects me from harm?

This gave me an interesting idea. I was struck by how much the position meanings resemble astrological house meanings. So I took this idea and expanded it into a "house system" layout as follows:

Front Cover: First House, "How others see me"

Spine: 10th House - 4th House Axis, the "Power Axis"

Table of Contents: The four Cadent Houses and their "natural" connection to the mutable, "adaptive" signs Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius and Pisces (these houses "set the stage" for the Angular Houses, while the signs represent seasonal transitions - Spring-to-Summer, Summer-to-Fall, etc; for those of us who live in four-season climates, think "getting your clothes out" for the coming season)

Main Story: The four Angular Houses, one's overall orientation to the world

Back Cover: The four Succedent Houses and their "natural" connection to the fixed, "stability-oriented" signs Taurus, Leo, Scorpio and Aquarius (These are the most steady and anchored locations, midway between "action" - Angular - and "reflection" - Cadent; they represent "consolidation")

I've attached photos of this progression in action. Just examples, not for interpretation. Thanks for the inspiration!

Attachments

• DSC00026.jpg
    DSC00026.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC00027.jpg
    DSC00027.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC00028.jpg
    DSC00028.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC00031.jpg
    DSC00031.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 220
  • DSC00030.jpg
    DSC00030.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 228

frac_ture

Thanks for the spread. I found out some interesting things.

You're welcome! I'm happy to hear that this spread was helpful for you. :thumbsup:

This gave me an interesting idea. I was struck by how much the position meanings resemble astrological house meanings. So I took this idea and expanded it into a "house system" layout...

I've attached photos of this progression in action. Just examples, not for interpretation. Thanks for the inspiration!

Wow, thanks for posting this, Barleywine, it's really interesting! I hadn't been thinking Astrology at all when I cooked up the spread, but I can follow your logic (especially with the photos helping out as visual aids). I'm really impressed with your use of House types (i.e., angular, succedent, cadent) -- astrologers seem to focus way more on Sign modes (cardinal, fixed, mutable) than on the House categories which seem sort of analogous to me. It's great to see someone making use of those in active fashion!

Enlightenment23

Awesome spread! Will post it in Your Readings soon :thumbsup:

frac_ture

Awesome spread! Will post it in Your Readings soon :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind sentiment about the spread -- I'll be sure to comb the Your Readings section to see how it treats you!

earthshine

As a book lover, I looooooooooooove this spread! Will try it out when I get some alone time!

frac_ture

As a book lover, I looooooooooooove this spread! Will try it out when I get some alone time!

I'm a book lover, too, so I'm happy to pass the spread along to another fan -- I hope you get some great returns from using it!

foolonajourney

Such a great quick shot! I have a habit of pulling my cards out around my family, and having people ask for a quick reading. I think this layout covers a wide range and the book theme keeps it light feeling. I don't like getting to detailed when not sitting down specifically for reading.

frac_ture

Such a great quick shot! I have a habit of pulling my cards out around my family, and having people ask for a quick reading. I think this layout covers a wide range and the book theme keeps it light feeling. I don't like getting to detailed when not sitting down specifically for reading.

Sorry to have lagged on replying to this nice post, but I somehow missed it last week while I was traveling. Thanks so much for the feedback, though -- I'm happy to hear that the spread feels versatile enough that you might keep it in your main bag of tricks! Thank you for sharing that here. I hope the spread continues to treat you well!