Book of Thoth (uh...the book, not the cards)

Richard1

And here I was thinking I were pretty awesome for finding The Book of Thoth, the Cipher Manuscript, and Mathers' (rather misleading) pamphlet on the Tarot on-line...
I am properly shamed now...:)

Minos

Richard said:
And here I was thinking I were pretty awesome for finding The Book of Thoth, the Cipher Manuscript, and Mathers' (rather misleading) pamphlet on the Tarot on-line...
I am properly shamed now...:)

Don't be! The good thing about Google is that it finds popular sites - ones that lots of people link to. The bad thing about Google? There is no bad thing.

But there are many bad things about the "occult community", two of which are a) the large number of commercialized "Golden Dawn" groups out there, all of dubious value, and b) the lackeyish respect generally paid to them.

The result of this is, if you search for "golden dawn documents" or suchlike on Google, you get all kinds of crap from people who basically want to sell you stuff. Whereas in a just world, the imhtuk site would be the first to pop up. I wouldn't have found it either, unless someone else hadn't pointed it out to me on another group.

Richard1

I can see lots of happy hunting ahead of me...

Richard1

Oh, and about the sexism in Banzhaf/Akron, I think it goes a little deeper than the Empress/Baphomet connection (I have to confess that the Baphomet link didn't work for me)...well, let me just let them speak for themselves, re: the Princess of Swords:
"As a person, this card shows a young woman who knows how to continually sharpen her mind (and her tongue). In doing so, she can sparkle with esprit, charm, and impressive logic or, in the exaggerated form, she personifies the type of animus-possessed as described by C.G. Jung. This is the woman who proclaims in part completely untenable opinions (often more than one at the same time) with a metallic clatter in her voice, the singular purpose of which is to silence the other person. In this respect, the card indicates an altogether quarrelsome person."
I don't know who this person they describe is, but it's certainly not the Princess from MY deck...

Ruby7

Are there various versions of Crowley's Book of Thoth? I would like to get the Book of Thoth, and I checked on Amazon--the book that came up was a volume III. For all of you who have the Book of Thoth what would you recommend? I would like to have an actual book rather than read from a website, would appreciate any suggestions, Ruby7

Strange2

Ruby7,

The Book of Thoth you saw on Amazon is the correct one. The full title of Crowley's Book of Thoth is "The Book of Thoth: A Short Essay on the Tarot of the Egyptians, being the Equinox Volume III No. V", by the Master Therion. The Equinox was an ongoing publication by Crowley and other writers, containing occult articles, rituals, etc.

You can get a great bargain on the Book of Thoth at http://www.discountnewagebooks.com