Beginner's spread

Maria Tarot

Hi all,
I love Lenormand Decks.
I have one deck for some years now. I feel it doesn't connect with me.
I would like to give a chance to me and try again to read with Lenormand.
Do you have any particular spread for a beginner?
Thank you

Amanaki

Hi Maria

Hi There :)

There are so many Lenormand decks out now and its so many themes too. so i think it comes to what kind of deck you would feel comfortable reading with.

But for me my favourite deck is the Lenormand Oracle deck by Laura Tuan (Lo scarabeo)

Amanaki

Maria Tarot

Hi Amanaki,
The one I have is a reproduction of the deck designed by Napoleon's cartomant also by Lo Scarabeo.

Glass Owl

I believe the most common Lenormand spreads are:
  • Line of three
  • Line of five
  • 9 Square (3x3) - also called The Box spread
  • Grand tableu (this spread uses all 36 cards)

To see some 9 Square spreads "in action", you may want to check out the Lenormand Readings forum where each month there is a thread for posting your own monthly reading (with card interpretations).

Lee also has a series of thread detailing his Common Sense Lenormand reading method. His basic 5 card spread here:
http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=219010

You may also enjoy watching some of Donnaleigh's Lenormand Lesson videos. She has a lot of them, here is an example where she explains a three card reading.

Maria Tarot

Ok Glass Owl,
Thank you :)

Izzydunne

Before a student learns and uses spreads, they need to know meanings of individual cards, and how to do 2 card combinations. Once that is accomplished, the next step is to read a line of 3 cards. Once that is mastered, you can go on to 9 card spread and GT. One step at a time gives good results.

Teheuti

I believe the most common Lenormand spreads are:
  • Line of three
  • Line of five
  • 9 Square (3x3) - also called The Box spread
  • Grand tableu (this spread uses all 36 cards)
This is really all you need. The shorter spreads act as training wheels for getting into the Grand Tableau but they also serve great on their own.

Positional spreads (ala Tarot) are a modern addition and rarely used as all the cards are read in combination with each other. If you are looking at a choice of options (whether to do this or that) then use a different short spread for each option.

Donnaleigh's beginner videos are very helpful.

The main thing with shorter spreads is to write down a very specific question and frame the answer in terms of that question.

Three card daily spreads, with the general understanding that they will show you something that occurs that day or that you should pay attention to, are fine but they can be too vague and confusing. Also, the standard card meanings have to be scaled back to the minutiaes of daily life and can be quite literal (sometimes a Tree is just a tree; or Birds+Fox is just dialing the wrong phone number!).

Maria Tarot

I have a litle book of the deck with the meanings of the cards.
I think begining to read will help to lear the meanings.
Thank you Izzidune

Izzydunne

You are welcome Marie Tarot. If you take the steps I have outlined you will have success, I promise.

Maria Tarot

Teheuti,
I did some 3 cards readings no meaning positions some did make sense and other didn't.
That's why I thought Lenormand doesn't connect with me but I love it and I would like to try.
I will watch Donnaleigh's videos.
Thank you :)