card Fox facing - trusthworthy/clever versus false

monisina

Hello

I will be very grateful if you can help me with the the very essencial question:

Various books have a different view on Card Fox next to some Cards, e.g. Crossroad - some books stated that it means clever or right decision, another stated incorrect decision.
The same with Fox next to personal Card - trustworthy or untrustworthy person.
This is a big problem while the absolute opposed meaning.

Do you think it depends on if Fox looks directly on card or in opposite side, e.g. Fox´s face in Mystic Lenormand is directed to left and thus the card on left looks directly to Fox face.
What ´s your opinion/experience - if Fox face looks to Card - it means it is right/trustworthy/smart... and if looks opposite side - wrong/untrustworthy?
Or it is antagonistic?
The direction of Fox can be apply in every combination thus is very important to resolve this problem.
Only same meaning in all books has Fox faces Mice - it means honesty. But it could be by a presence of Mice who eat dishonesty.

Can you please help me? Thank you.

Amanaki

hi monisina

Every cards in a lenormand deck have more then one meaning, and it come down to what question did you ask, example, if you ask question of work the Fox can mean things that happening on your work.
But if you ask about Love, the fox get an other meaning compared to what card is next to it.

About the way the fox or other face cards are facing.
No as far as i know the facing of the card does not have a meaning in Lenormand, I dont know Tarot to well but i guess those things can have a meaning in Tarot.
Example if one person use only one deck in every spread, and the fox facing to the left, it will always face to the left.

Hope this helped a little :)

Amanaki

andybc

As has been said above, the Fox's meanings will gain specification from the context of your questions. So its main meaning - basically, 'wrong' - can be anything from the wrong partner, to a quack doctor. That's important to remember - context specifies it doesn't change.

The Fox is a warning that something is wrong, that someone is deceiving you and that you have rivals or, more often, that the people with whom you are associating are not your friends or allies. When the Fox is very far away this is reduced. It's part of the Acorns series which are inherently bad (Fox and work is a post 1930s theory that started in Belgium and comes from an anti-Semitic text).

Since the late 1990s a few authors have mentioned this thing about the Fox looks etc. It's based on the fact that a lot decks have the Fox facing left (same as which way the Lady looks etc). But not all do and it only works in a few situations.

When the Fox follows a person card it means that person displays the Fox's traits - guile, cunning and being a bit of loner. Or they can just be red or reddish brown haired. Whereas if it came before it would mean the person is wrong, deceiving, beware this person etc. This only applies in descriptions. Nothing else.

Card proximity and order matters in Lenormand. Not pictures.

Lee

Hi monisina,

As you obviously have discovered, in Lenormand there is a broad range of generally-agreed-upon meanings of cards and combinations. But within this broad agreement there are many instances of disagreement between readers, authors, and teachers.

There are some readers/authors/teachers, for example, who see as meaningful the directions the figures on the cards are facing. Then there are others who don't make that differentiation.

When deciding whether to pay attention to direction, you may want to consider whether you are using only one deck, or whether you use several decks. If you use several decks, then the same card in different decks may face different directions (for example, the dark side of the Clouds may be on the left in one deck but on the right in another), so in that case you may want to avoid considering facing directions as meaningful, since the directions would be different depending on which of your decks you were using.

Village Witch

I personally do not pay any attention to which way the Fox is facing. If the Fox is surrounded by negative or positive cards determines for me if read the Fox as sneaky and not to be trusted or a hard working provider.

The only time I read the Fox as a job/work/employment card is if I specifically designate the card to be such an indicator.

I am new to Lenormand, but am learning to read a little more intuitively these days. Some cards simply do not resonate with me as to "assigned" meanings.

andybc

Intuition - at least in the real definition of the word - requires a person to have learnt the cards' meanings and the methods of combination. A traditional Lenormand reader is intuitive. That's how they come to the answers. To be honest I'd class myself as intuitive but I stick to the simple meanings I first learnt, as my primary, my fall back.

As Lee states above some readers do allow more for the cards' emblems.

Malkiel (who with Erna Droesbeke is probably the leading expert on Lenormand) does so. But he also has a key idea of how the decks should look i.e. Fox and Lady should be facing left etc. That's no biggie, as a lot of decks follow most of these desires, but it can be restrictive.

I prefer my dark Clouds to be on the left but that is aesthetic. Traditionally they're weaker when to the left so it makes sense the light side should be on the right for me. But if the dark side was on the right I'd still take it as weakened on the left.

Izzydunne

The direction that a card faces in a spread is only sometimes significant. As such, it can not be trusted to be reliable.

And...as others have mentioned, when the Fox shows up in a reading it means something is not right. Usually deception and trickery is afoot.

Izzydunne

I would like to add an additional thought on the Fox. Unless one's profession is chicken stealing, the Fox is not very suitable to represent job, career, or work. The job is something that gives stability in life, and the financial ability to acquire food, shelter, and clothing. The Anchor best represents the job aspect, because the job of an anchor is to provide stability for ships and boats when needed. The Cards, should reflect reality, at least that is my view.

claire1805

I am in two minds about the Fox. My fixed meanings for the Fox are dishonesty/slyness, work and most recently, skills. When surrounded by positive cards, I see this card as bringing a neutral meaning of work or skills. This is a very tricky card for me during readings, especially in a three card reading, where I pulled the Fox together with the more positive/neutral cards.

I try to be less rigid about always associating the Fox with a negative meaning and look at the context of the question to determine its meaning. Still, I do tend to get confused on occasion. Especially when the Fox appears in academic/career questions.

danieljuk

I have to say I don't use which way the Fox is facing. I have never heard of that before, apart from on Clouds and Scythe cards. Perhaps I should look at that more often.

I believe that all of the cards have a negative and positive meaning, it really depends on how it looks between the other cards.

One meaning people associate with the Fox is 'cunning'. Cunning is an interesting word because it has both negative and positive connotations just like the Fox itself. If you get it for a relationship it could be bad (unless they are chasing someone to be their love :) ) but if you get it for career that could be really good in some fields. I have friends who have careers where you really have to go up that greasy career ladder. If you were cunning, you could do very well in that job. I don't use which way it is looking but look at the whole picture around it. It can sometimes be a good thing, just like some people love foxes, others find them vermin!

I would like to add an additional thought on the Fox. Unless one's profession is chicken stealing, the Fox is not very suitable to represent job, career, or work. The job is something that gives stability in life, and the financial ability to acquire food, shelter, and clothing. The Anchor best represents the job aspect, because the job of an anchor is to provide stability for ships and boats when needed. The Cards, should reflect reality, at least that is my view.

I do agree with you about the Fox / Anchor career issue. I also mostly use Anchor for that area but there was an interesting thread recently about they both can be different types of work / career topics. I can't find it currently but Fox could be more "job" and Anchor "long term career". The Anchor gives you stability, the Fox is about survival and hanging in there, maybe in a competitive environment.

They really are excellent survivors in difficult situations, they thrive! So in a career context they could really work their way up! I wouldn't trust them but they wouldn't stay at a bottom level position ;) I disagree with you on that part because I think a Fox would have shelter, food and a decent job. But they probably wouldn't have a very stable lifestyle. They are not going to have a house and a mortgage or think too far in the future ;)