When was the RWS first published?

Scarlet27

In another Tarot forum I'm in we're trying to set a "Tarot day" and I thought it'd be nice to set it as the date when this deck was first published, since most member of the forum are RWS lovers :)
I've been trying to google it, but I haven't been successful so far.
I hope this is the right place to put this, if not, please mods feel free to move it.

Thank you guys! :love:
Brightest blessings and warm hugs~

Scarlet27

I already had the year, but thanks anyway gregory :D
What I'm looking for is the exact date, if there is, like IDK December 9th or something like that :)

cardlady22

I don't know about an exact date along those lines, but nisaba has been making us aware of May 25th (just passed)
http://worldtarotday.org/

Is there a page/article somewhere that talks about how/why the 25th was chosen?

gregory

I have just emailed someone who may know why May 25th....

But Holly says the end of 1909.... wiki says "The cards were originally published in December 1909." Jensen says shortly before Christmas.

roppo

I'd like to say it's December 10th. As the head of the Rider Co. at that time wrote :

"I have the pleasure to announce to my readers the forthcoming publication of a new pack of Tarot Cards, an illustrated notice of which under the title of the Tarot; a Wheel of Fortune, by Mr A.E.Waite, appears in the current number of this magazine. the Cards will, I anticipate, be ready for sale by about December 10. "

The Occult Review 1909 December issue 300-301pp

gregory

"...I anticipate..."

Jensen says shortly before Christmas, and he's hot stuff...

Scarlet27

I'm amazed by the LOADS of details about these deck you know, dear ATers :D

gregory

KNOW ???

I just know where to LOOK. roppo DOES know stuff, though. :) Then again - Jensen is someone I trust on Waite-Smith stuff.

gregory

cardlady22 said:
I don't know about an exact date along those lines, but nisaba has been making us aware of May 25th (just passed)
http://worldtarotday.org/

Is there a page/article somewhere that talks about how/why the 25th was chosen?
Found it !

Weird stuff !